Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not seeing that at all at my course. The clubhouse is obviously closed and even the rest rooms are off limits. No outside seating is provided. At most, a couple of guys might grab a can of beer and stand appropriately apart before heading home. Me, I skip the beer.

The problem is with 9 min tee times here and just about every tee time booked with 4 somes in carts, it puts 250-300 golfers out there at each course - all cart path only. The courses are **** shows during normal circumstances on days like today with golfers not following rules. I can’t even imagine today.

And every country reports deaths exactly the same. Everyone is on par and honest.
emoji106.png

2200 out of 10 million. Holy crap its .02% everyone hide inside

There is a method to their madness. I heard a Swedish doctor on evening news the other day say they believe people being couped up inside is more likely to allow the virus to spread, and that people being outside is actually a good thing and more likely that the virus won't spread that way.

It is strange to me to see a progressive place like Sweden taking a more conservative approach to this, whereas a more conservative culture like America taking the more liberal approach (generally speaking) to the virus.

I told my friend a few weeks ago that I was surprised how cowardly we seem to have all become in America. I'm guilty of it too - I guess we all have gotten sickening a dose of fear from the so-called news and just about every single person in power (local, state and nationally - bureaucrats and politicians alike).

Recently I listened to a conference call including management of a medical equipment company. Much of the talk was about hospitals postponing elective surgery procedures.
If you don't mind, please help me understand the definition of elective surgery.
This is exactly the problem. The definition of an elective procedure is one that's planned in advance versus the emergency (accident, heart attack, etc.). A surgeon and anesthesiologist can say a planned procedure is not elective. Examples of elective procedures include numerous operations for cancer patients, gallbladder removals, hip replacements, etc.

Medtronic is a major supplier of medical devices. They recently reported sales are down 60%. https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/24/medtronic-reports-significant-covid-19-impact-to-i.aspx

Sick people are getting sicker.

Sunday is fun day! Taking my immune system to the golf course in a few hours for a good workout. Walking 36 on a beautiful spring day.

Hope everyone finds a productive activity for your day.
I’m teeing off in 45 minutes... Hit them straight.

I’m teeing off in 45 minutes... Hit them straight.
You too! Should we set up a Zoom call for a virtual/real round? :)

Recently I listened to a conference call including management of a medical equipment company. Much of the talk was about hospitals postponing elective surgery procedures.
If you don't mind, please help me understand the definition of elective surgery.
Anything that can basically wait and is not life threatening.

Pre-round Covid thought:
Dr. Fauci is 80 years old.

If the virus is as lethal as he claims, why isn’t he isolating?
Following his own guidelines, he shouldn’t be spending his days unmasked in a WH briefing room full of out and about members of the Press Corp, right?

This is exactly the problem. The definition of an elective procedure is one that's planned in advance versus the emergency (accident, heart attack, etc.). A surgeon and anesthesiologist can say a planned procedure is not elective. Examples of elective procedures include numerous operations for cancer patients, gallbladder removals, hip replacements, etc.

Medtronic is a major supplier of medical devices. They recently reported sales are down 60%. https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/24/medtronic-reports-significant-covid-19-impact-to-i.aspx

Sick people are getting sicker.

It’s pretty public why Medtronic is having trouble and their issues are somewhat self inflicted. They had a ventilator debacle on their hands when they acquired a company with a large government contract for ventilators. They essentially acquired the company but then recognized they couldn’t fulfill the acquired contract with the profit margin they sought. So they backed out of the contract. Bad timing, worse optics.

Pre-round Covid thought:

Following his own guidelines, he shouldn’t be spending his days unmasked in a WH briefing room full of out and about members of the Press Corp, right?

Before commenting on what is or is not "safe", please earn a degree from a medical school and, or, a license to practice medicine.

Before commenting on what is or is not "safe", please earn a degree from a medical school and, or, a license to practice medicine.
I have mine.
FE8044A6-EFFA-48A8-B484-94A13ADEA1CB.jpeg

They've "all been vaccinated around [there]".

I can read, and have read his guidance. I didn’t make a medical statement. He is the medical expert.
Nice retort... If you are going to engage me, do better than this ⬆.

Pre-round Covid thought:

I agree, his sacrifice is incredible. Just another example of the thousands of health care professionals that are risking their personal well being for the lives of others! Fauci for the Medal of Freedom!

I see those as legitimate questions, not comments ow what is or isn't safe. Likewise, why during these briefings, without adequate explanation, are they not practicing social distancing on the stage, seen standing shoulder to shoulder?

I agree, his sacrifice is incredible. Just another example of the thousands of health care professionals that are risking their personal well being for the lives of others! Fauci for the Medal of Freedom!
Now that is what I’m talking about... Good job 👍🏻

I see those as legitimate questions, not comments ow what is or isn't safe. Likewise, why during these briefings, without adequate explanation, are they not practicing social distancing on the stage, seen standing shoulder to shoulder?

Of course they are legitimate questions. I don’t think a person that has been at best 50/50 in his thoughts is above reproach, no matter how much I think the job is thankless.

But there is a ton of irony in the post you quoted.

All I’m asking for people to ask questions and think about it themselves.

Hey everyone, THIS THING HAS JUST STARTED!!!! It's April.

All conclusions made are premature. We haven't had something like this in 100 years. Testing is the logical next step and wisest way to reopen the economy. Distancing, testing, treatments and vaccines. We're only at step one right now and the consequences of step one are dire to be sure. Less dire than dead though.

I played over the line in NY yesterday and I was surprised/disappointed to see a number of people socially congregating after their rounds with drinks on the porch. It was pretty much just a bar scene. Cripes, if we're gonna get golf back we have to agree to lose some of the camaraderie. Show up, golf and go home.

Thanks for your post. I’m in NY. I’m outside Albany. My primary course has not opened yet. Others have been too crowded since the allowed reopening. I can wait to play. In any event, I’m not surprised by what you’re described. I really like your last statement. I would add to it: Show up, golf, maintain proper social distancing and go home. If we want to be able to have the privilege of playing this game we love, we have to do this.

Of course they are legitimate questions. I don’t think a person that has been at best 50/50 in his thoughts is above reproach, no matter how much I think the job is thankless.

But there is a ton of irony in the post you quoted.
I don't think the guy (Fauci) has been right once. Now we're supposed to take his word as Gospel. I don't think so.

Like 190 of the 240 or so dead Minnesotans were sheltered in long term care facilities.

We really haven't done such a great job in fighting this virus, eh?

Since these people have more or less been out of society, yet we such down society?

So the question I have asked remains: why have we completely shut down society when the majority of people dying from this aren't even taking part in society?

Up here we have two meat packing plants that are closed down as cases are in the hundreds and we have a senior centre in the community of McKenzie Town that is a Petrie dash with people passing away alone without seeing family daily. Front line workers are exhausted and mentally fatigued. If people don’t care and aren’t worried about it that’s your own business but don’t be a Richard and put others in jeopardy, respect their space because you don’t know their situation and the potential damage catching it could cause in their lives.

In better news I’m seeing a lot of birthday parades driving through some neighbourhoods. The cars are well decorated. Also the fire department is stopping by homes for birthdays if the child is under a certain age or if they are a senior. I’m going to try to set that up for my dads 81st and moms 80th later this month.

Wisc State Journal

In the new study, researchers looked at rates of COVID-19 in Wisconsin — and in Dane, Milwaukee and Waukesha counties — for a 10-day period before the election and in the 10 days afterward in which cases would likely arise, comparing the rates to the rest of the country.

The post-election period was April 12-21, or five to 14 days after the election, the time period when health officials say COVID-19 cases typically arise.

The ratio of Wisconsin’s rate of new confirmed COVID-19 cases compared to the U.S. rate before the election was 0.34:1, meaning the state’s rate was about a third as high as the country’s. That dropped after the election to 0.28:1, with the state’s rate a little more than a quarter as high as the country’s, the researchers found.
“Our study did not find any significant increase in the rate of new COVID-19 cases following the April 7, 2020, election post-incubation period, for the state of Wisconsin or its three major voting counties, as compared to the US,” the researchers wrote in their paper.

There are plenty of dumb Dr.s.

"You lose the national championship and they call you a bum. Finish last in medical school and they call you doctor." - Lou Holtz

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

There are plenty of dumb Dr.s.

"You lose the national championship and they call you a bum. Finish last in medical school and they call you doctor." - Lou Holtz

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Fauci is a genius (graduating #1 in your Ivy League medical school IMO is a genius). But he has just been wrong too many times. He has lost his privileges in my view.

The only person that has been right about anything is Trump. He was right about leaving it up to the states to run their respective economies, and he was right that we should have opened up sooner rather than later (Easter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back