Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. So in his case it's like when you offer your expert scientific opinion on a relevant topic related to the field that you are an expert in, but other people who are not experts in that field don't like it because it runs counter to the stuff they want to do?

Well there are other Experts in his field that disagree with him so... 🤷‍♂️

Some of those opinions have been posted here..

Well there are other Experts in his field that disagree with him so... 🤷‍♂️

Some of those opinions have been posted here..
OK, and that's fine. If they are experts in the field then their opinions should be part of a robust debate about the path to take to keep people from dying from a very infectious disease. I'm pretty confident those dissenting opinions are being well entertained by administrations and legislatures all across the country right now, as they should be. My point is that I don't believe it's ever helpful to label someone as "something" in the hope that his/her opinion is discounted or disregarded just because it runs counter to your goals, especially when that person has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for 30+ years and is discussing how to defeat a virus. I just don't believe he's been there waiting for his chance to "destroy the economy" to stick it to the little guy. I think he's doing his job the best way he knows how.

OK, and that's fine. If they are experts in the field then their opinions should be part of a robust debate about the path to take to keep people from dying from a very infectious disease. I'm pretty confident those dissenting opinions are being well entertained by administrations and legislatures all across the country right now, as they should be. My point is that I don't believe it's ever helpful to label someone as "something" in the hope that his/her opinion is discounted or disregarded just because it runs counter to your goals, especially when that person has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for 30+ years and is discussing how to defeat a virus. I just don't believe he's been there waiting for his chance to "destroy the economy" to stick it to the little guy. I think he's doing his job the best way he knows how.

While I agree with you, isn't that what the entire country has done based on sides of just about everything now? It's sad really, but it has come to this, and now we are in this situation where "experts" are on both sides and people are choosing which ones to believe based on media headlines that are nothing more than clickbait.

The only facts we have that all experts agreed on, which was flattening the curve of spread for the use of not overwhelming the hospitals and healthcare. Somehow thanks to a number of things including fear mongering, that has completely changed into something else.

As of today most businesses can open here. I know of two small locally owned golf businesses that are both opening. One in full operation mode and one more limited with appointments required. I will make a point of getting to our normally hyper busy Main Street today and see what the local downtown open business landscape looks and feels like. Curious. My expectation is that open or not, our local economy is going to be in slow grind mode for an extended time, with longterm impacts. I believe pandemic response human behavior is going to drive this more than anything else.

I am a sales rep that travels in the Southeast. Just this morning my email has been blowing up with orders from customers in Georgia and SC.
On the negative side we have been staying at a relatives house in Hilton Head. Found out this morning that they finally has a renter. The part is over!! It was cool to weather this from the ocean.

I didn’t post the elitist comment, I’ll defer to that person to provide more context on what he meant.

I think that he has done a terrible job, but I’m not the POTUS, so I don’t get to make the call as to if he should be allowed to continue doing what he’s doing.

Mississippi's "stay at home" order has expired as of this morning, but is replaced with a "safer at home" order. Some businesses are allowed to reopen with no more than 50% of capacity allowed inside at a time. Others still remain shuttered. Grocery stores remain a free-for-all.

When he says things like staying at home for a month is just a inconvenience.

He can pay 30+ million unemployed bills then.
By definition of the word "inconvenience" that is not an incorrect statement.

Definition of inconvenient

: not convenient especially in giving trouble or annoyance : INOPPORTUNE an inconvenient time

Involuntary unemployment is an inconvenience.
The fact I can't spend time with my family and friends right now is an inconvenience.
It is inconvenient that I can't go sit in a restaurant right now.

Reading along here - Ohio Governor to detail the reopening of businesses in the short term beginning May 1st... Plan should be announced in part at 2pm ET. Waiting to hear from the powers that be at my job on our return to the office.

I forget my restaurant but I wanted to add that alpaca is good! Right before TSHTF, I had ordered a large variety of exotic meats as I had dinner night with my kids on Thursday, my “normal” day off so I’d have all day to prepare it. So far we’ve had alpaca, rattlesnake, and EMU.

In the freezer awaiting time to make and having the kids over are ostrich, python, and alligator. Without looking I think I’m forgetting one or two as I bought everything that I’d never had before that wasn’t too outrageous.

I’m really looking forward to the gator, so was going to have that last. Well, hell. I guess I’m really looking forward to all the others too-which is why I bought them. I almost ordered a Cobra but it was just too much and I figured 2 snakes were enough.

My Sous Vide guidebook doesn’t have a lot of recipes for most of them, ha.

Holy heck, you are really getting after it!

We have a Peruvian restaurant in town that is amazing. I also learned that night, that I gave them a few days heads up, they would secure a guinea pig meal. Whiskers is getting the BBQ when this ish is done!

The only facts we have that all experts agreed on, which was flattening the curve of spread for the use of not overwhelming the hospitals and healthcare. Somehow thanks to a number of things including fear mongering, that has completely changed into something else.
I was thinking this morning and yesterday after watching NJ Governer as well as NYC Mayor this morning. They talk about Distancing and SIP like as if it somehow became a cure.
And I understand in this area the numbers have been enormous and since we have flattened the curve but still are uncomfortably large numbers. And i also understand how easily it can quickly get worse again. But one thing this distancing thing is not is a cure, yet they speak like as if we are winning something in that sense. We arent winning anything and all we did was slow this down. But somehow that small victory of a slow down has magically become a cure and is how we are going to beat the virus. Its gotten to be a completely misguided logic all on its own.

While I agree with you, isn't that what the entire country has done based on sides of just about everything now? It's sad really, but it has come to this, and now we are in this situation where "experts" are on both sides and people are choosing which ones to believe based on media headlines that are nothing more than clickbait.

Yes, absolutely. The principal players in government, business and media are all trying to control the narrative to further their goals instead of taking an opportunity to unite us all. The problem is consumers of media are complicit, as most of us seek out (or at least are content to receive) the info that reinforces what we already believe. Too many people just want what makes them feel "right" or clearly defines the "other" as wrong. The media gives us what we want. If we would spend more time talking with people who think differently, consuming media with different ideas, and then actually considering those ideas, we might find more facts. They usually live somewhere in the middle. ;)

I mean, you're in media--you are always looking for what we all want and how best to deliver it, right? I mean no disrespect by this, as we all love golf and this forum is a welcome distraction from the more serious things we all deal with in our lives. I think you guys actually are trying to unite us all. :)(y)

Yes, absolutely. The principal players in government, business and media are all trying to control the narrative to further their goals instead of taking an opportunity to unite us all. The problem is consumers of media are complicit, as most of us seek out (or at least are content to receive) the info that reinforces what we already believe. Too many people just want what makes them feel "right" or clearly defines the "other" as wrong. The media gives us what we want. If we would spend more time talking with people who think differently, consuming media with different ideas, and then actually considering those ideas, we might find more facts. They usually live somewhere in the middle. ;)

I mean, you're in media--you are always looking for what we all want and how best to deliver it, right? I mean no disrespect by this, as we all love golf and this forum is a welcome distraction from the more serious things we all deal with in our lives. I think you guys actually are trying to unite us all. :)(y)

No disrespect taken of course.
Yes, that is definitely the goal, but we very much try not to use click bait titles in our home page or social media, because we see how awful they are by the traditional news outlets.

A good example of difference (and we are probably dumb for it) is we could easily place an ad in the middle of forum threads. Hell most forums do and they pay very well. We dont, because the user experience is thought of. I view it the same way and I say this not to say we are better, just that I dont believe much out there has the user experience and facts as the primary goal and that is a ******* shame.

Thanks. So in his case it's like when you offer your expert scientific opinion on a relevant topic related to the field that you are an expert in, but other people who are not experts in that field don't like it because it runs counter to the stuff they want to do?
But the line between scientific health advice and public policy advice isn’t necessarily the same thing. Cough into your elbow, wash your hands and wear a mask (after don’t wear a mask) are more science. The SIP orders are public policy based off the projections. The projections are sold as science until they are grotesquely wrong, then we get the projection vs prediction type explanations. And when anyone resists the public policy stuff that’s based on those models we are told we are not following science. It can be frustrating.

Well its been another week and a half since I dropped in here with the El Dorado County, CA (and greater Sacramento area) update, so here goes.

Our county of about 200,000 now has 42 confirmed cases, up from 35 a little over week and a half ago, and no deaths. The state stay at home order is still in place, grocery stores still have some pretty bare shelves, some the products that seem to be hard to get most everywhere, and some just really random. The political climate here is pretty hot, this is a pretty conservative and mostly rural county, neighboring the capital of one of the most liberal states in the country, so no surprise there.

As for golf, our neighbor Placer County rescinded the order to close all golf courses that I reported on last time. The order was only in place for one week, so I guess someone got through to the County Board members on how stupid it was, and the lifting of that order has resulted in many more golf courses opening back up, including many that had closed on their own before the county order took place. With more courses open you would think we would see better tee time availability, but that hasn't really been the case. We have become a destination of sorts, primarily for the SF Bay area, but to some extent for many areas of the state where most golf courses have closed. Although a bit frustrating that the courses are so busy that its hard to get a tee time, I welcome the people coming here to play, maybe they can go home and help convince their local officials that it can be done safely in their areas too.

Reading along here - Ohio Governor to detail the reopening of businesses in the short term beginning May 1st... Plan should be announced in part at 2pm ET. Waiting to hear from the powers that be at my job on our return to the office.
I've already heard indication of my office tentatively having @30% return to the office on June 1. All subject to change and not official but we also have esssentially the entire corporation working remote right now. I think senior management that actually has offices may return mid May? Not sure on that one.

Here comes Tennessee...

I have typed many responses in this thread. But realizing that they are way to emotionally charged I have rightly deleted them. I will simply say, the current situation has me very frustrated and disgruntled on many fronts. I have my opinions based on the same info we are all seeing. But, I do not have or pretend to know the right answers.

:wtf:

I am a sales rep that travels in the Southeast. Just this morning my email has been blowing up with orders from customers in Georgia and SC.
On the negative side we have been staying at a relatives house in Hilton Head. Found out this morning that they finally has a renter. The part is over!! It was cool to weather this from the ocean.
That's really awesome! I heard a couple other things that give me some hope that all is not completely lost, guess we'll see. If we can open things up now and get back to how things used to be before all the government money runs out maybe we can end up avoiding economic suicide. Let's hope for more positive stories like this one.

I have typed many responses in this thread. But realizing that they are way to emotionally charged I have rightly deleted them. I will simply say, the current situation has me very frustrated and disgruntled on many fronts. I have my opinions based on the same info we are all seeing. But, I do not have or pretend to know the right answers.
We’re all in this together :sneaky:

Thanks to everybody that jumped in and bought a THP Golf Quarantine T-Shirt.

Pre-ordering is closed up and they are being ordered now.

That's really awesome! I heard a couple other things that give me some hope that all is not completely lost, guess we'll see. If we can open things up now and get back to how things used to be before all the government money runs out maybe we can end up avoiding economic suicide. Let's hope for more positive stories like this one.
Totally not a lost game but ALL of us will have to learn new ways to communicate. In sales I expect to do a bunch of virtual presntations for Fall selling. Not just because folks dont want to have contact. The whole supply chain will be messed up. Samples will be late, selling windows will shrink. New technolgy will be required. Thankfully my kids are around to help the old guy.

By definition of the word "inconvenience" that is not an incorrect statement.

Definition of inconvenient

: not convenient especially in giving trouble or annoyance : INOPPORTUNE an inconvenient time

Involuntary unemployment is an inconvenience.
If that's the bar then you could say cutting your leg off in a chainsaw accident is inconvenient. While losing a leg would most certainly be inconvenient, not to mention bad for your pants, no one would accuse you of being terribly smart or compassionate if you said that.

If that's the bar then you could say cutting your leg off in a chainsaw accident is inconvenient. While losing a leg would most certainly be inconvenient, not to mention bad for your pants, no one would accuse you of being terribly smart or compassionate if you said that.
Absolutely correct. A horrible injury or illness is a tragedy, not an inconvenience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back