Scotland's courses able to open again on 29th May!

HarlettoScara

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.7 WHS
Well, we got the news last night that everyone up here was waiting for last night, Scottish Golf announced;

"Following today’s announcement from First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish Golf is pleased to confirm that golf clubs in Scotland can begin to prepare for a return to golf on 29 May 2020 at the earliest, subject to final confirmation by the First Minister by way of an update currently planned for 28 May.

Scottish Golf has worked with Scottish Government, Active Scotland, sportScotland, Health Protection Scotland, The PGA and key industry partners at every opportunity to produce a clear guide for all golf clubs and golfers in Scotland.

It should be noted that a final decision will be made by the First Minister on 28 May and if any changes to the current procedures are required to align with updates provided by Scottish Government then these will be shared with you as soon as they are known to ensure re-opening plans can be updated or adjusted accordingly."

There is going to be the usual social distancing rules applied that you'll all be familiar with by now but the only potential fly in the ointment is that they're limiting the game to around 5 miles from your own house. Clearly this makes very little sense, and hopefully they will scrap this part because there are zero people who will abide by that - myself included!

All going well though, this time next week I'll be swinging those Cobras like a man possessed - bring it on!!!

Thought I heard it mentioned at lunchtime yesterday when Sky covered the briefing

Soooooo, when the weather turns to rain from next week, I know who to blame :ROFLMAO:

Thought I heard it mentioned at lunchtime yesterday when Sky covered the briefing

Soooooo, when the weather turns to rain from next week, I know who to blame :ROFLMAO:
Has been hammering down all day :LOL:

Has been hammering down all day :LOL:
Well I guess as long as it all stops for next week that will be okay

We went out again last night after work for 9 holes, I wore shorts and Jen said she wished she had done as well as it was still so nice

I shot +2, and Jen had one of her best times on the course - bearing in mind she is a beginner with a 54 handicap, she shot 55 for the 9 holes (par 35)

Great news! Interesting to see how the whole 5 miles thing works out.

Might be the one and only time where "no fixed address" would be a benefit

Finally! Glad to hear it man, now you can get those shiny new clubs dirty haha

Glad to hear the news mate! I know you've been waiting a long while, so I'm very excited for you! Here's to a great round with that fantastic Cobra equipment!

Well I guess as long as it all stops for next week that will be okay

We went out again last night after work for 9 holes, I wore shorts and Jen said she wished she had done as well as it was still so nice

I shot +2, and Jen had one of her best times on the course - bearing in mind she is a beginner with a 54 handicap, she shot 55 for the 9 holes (par 35)
What a great night, can't wait to be likewise. Sounds like you both played reasonably well, Jen in particular! If she's shooting 55 on a par 35, I'll certainly not be playing her for money off 54! Great progress being made, best part is that she's enjoying it as well - the perfect combination! When things get a little more settled I'll get my old man sorted and we'll come and give you both a game :)

Honestly? It won't work out at all :LOL: Scotland and Aberdeenshire in particular aren't especially densely populated so it will be madness at best and completely impossible to control or police. I'm about 8 miles from my course and not a chance that I will be staying away.

Might be the one and only time where "no fixed address" would be a benefit
With my lockdown haircut, I'm actually rocking the hobo-chic, could probably pass for no fixed abode without any problems at all currently.

What a great night, can't wait to be likewise. Sounds like you both played reasonably well, Jen in particular! If she's shooting 55 on a par 35, I'll certainly not be playing her for money off 54! Great progress being made, best part is that she's enjoying it as well - the perfect combination! When things get a little more settled I'll get my old man sorted and we'll come and give you both a game :)
You are more than welcome

When she has days like that on the course, there is no way I could compete in a handicapped competition with her - my only hope is if we were to play 18 and she gets a bit tired towards the end of the round to give me half a chance of catching her (assuming I play well)

Hopefully everything goes as planned for you next week and you get out on the course at last

Finally! Glad to hear it man, now you can get those shiny new clubs dirty haha
Filthy - they will be absolutely filthy let alone dirty :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Glad to hear the news mate! I know you've been waiting a long while, so I'm very excited for you! Here's to a great round with that fantastic Cobra equipment!
Cheers buddy, appreciate that - been a long haul! Will be swinging them all over the shop for a while to come I would imagine :ROFLMAO: And I still owe you a cap ;)

You are more than welcome

When she has days like that on the course, there is no way I could compete in a handicapped competition with her - my only hope is if we were to play 18 and she gets a bit tired towards the end of the round to give me half a chance of catching her (assuming I play well)

Hopefully everything goes as planned for you next week and you get out on the course at last
The full 18 will come, we've all been there. All it takes is one stellar round and you're hooked, sounds like it's coming up any time for her. One of these days, Donna will ask if she can come out for a round with me, and then we're in real trouble :ROFLMAO:

The full 18 will come, we've all been there. All it takes is one stellar round and you're hooked, sounds like it's coming up any time for her. One of these days, Donna will ask if she can come out for a round with me, and then we're in real trouble :ROFLMAO:
Haha, yup, the more she plays 18, the more she will build her game and then the handicap will start to drop

I know a lot of people don't like it if their other half plays golf, but we enjoy being able to get out there and play, and we both have groups that we play with as well
It is considered ladies day on a Tuesday at our club and that is the day that Jen doesn't work (she earns more working 4 days a week in this job than she did working full time in her previous job), so she will get out when she can with the ladies, and she organises a monthly event for the beginners on the first Sunday of the month
I have the guys that play in our team for the league and another group that I will play with if I take a day off during the week, then we have friends who both play so will get out with them as well
One bonus of Jen playing is that she will often suggest playing at the weekend or after work, so there is no need to feel guilty about going out and playing, so maybe if Donna does decide to start playing you might find yourself playing even more than you already do (y)

Edit - since our course opened on the 13th May, I have played 6 times and have another 2 tee times booked for this bank holiday weekend, and this is with taking a day each weekend to go visit my mother to take her some shopping due to her age and having asthma, so is in the vulnerable group and has to shield still

Last edited:
Haha, yup, the more she plays 18, the more she will build her game and then the handicap will start to drop

I know a lot of people don't like it if their other half plays golf, but we enjoy being able to get out there and play, and we both have groups that we play with as well
It is considered ladies day on a Tuesday at our club and that is the day that Jen doesn't work (she earns more working 4 days a week in this job than she did working full time in her previous job), so she will get out when she can with the ladies, and she organises a monthly event for the beginners on the first Sunday of the month
I have the guys that play in our team for the league and another group that I will play with if I take a day off during the week, then we have friends who both play so will get out with them as well
One bonus of Jen playing is that she will often suggest playing at the weekend or after work, so there is no need to feel guilty about going out and playing, so maybe if Donna does decide to start playing you might find yourself playing even more than you already do (y)
I'm not sure if I want that or not haha She's a very keen hillwalker and ticking off the Munros currently, so her weekends doing that with her friends gives me a chance to get out and play without any guilt or issues. I've not really got a big circle up here that I can play with, so is just a case of as and when and a lot of solo rounds, so hopefully that would change. To be honest I'm not holding any hope of her picking the clubs up, she's already said she has less than zero interest which is perfectly fine. I will, however, still be up mountains :ROFLMAO:

AWESOME!!!! finally, hopefully you've been working indoors on your chipping so you can improve your Arccos stats!

AWESOME!!!! finally, hopefully you've been working indoors on your chipping so you can improve your Arccos stats!
Always about the Arccos stats :LOL::LOL:

hahaha its the only stat I can beat you in... so yeah
Only based on one round unfortunately, the chipping will come down but the rest will skyrocket, guaranteed haha

Great... soon you'll be beating me in all categories?
I'm struggling to see how I can beat anybody in any categories for at least the first few week back :ROFLMAO: I'll certainly not be 6.9 for approach for very long!

Is it only the holes within 5 miles of your house? Would you have to skip the long par 4 on the back 9? Hope it drys out for you all!

Really happy for you!

Back