Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom is a Licensed Massage Therapist. She has a private practice. She has been unable to draw anything here in Ohio or at the federal level shy of the one time stimulus check. Luckily her husband, a private practice Psychologist has been able to do phone appointments throughout. Can’t really do that with massage.

Also luckily she and he have been able to resume normal activity this week, masks worn of course.

It’s nice when I go over to their house. I get fed organic food with who knows what supplements she thinks I need thrown in. I can also get my head and my back worked on all in one stop.

Small businesses are in a tough spot. Assume she is incorporated, she could apply for PPP and get forgiveness on 2 months of income. PPP was a fantastic plan, big banks tried to ruin it, but the issue is, with all of these extended lockdowns, it might have been just a bandaid because 2 months doesn't really cover what some areas are experiencing.

My wife tested positive at the end of March. I have slept next to her every night in the same bed. We both tested negative at the end of April. She tested positive for antibodies last week. I tested negative. So I've never contracted this evil demon even while literally laying in bed with it. FYI I'm 5'9" 210 lbs (pure fat) and 42 years old. Add that to the data please.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

That’s pretty amazing given the infection rate. You must have slept butt to butt with an N-95 on every night, no? Although I did see that it only has a 70% or so infection rate. Maybe you’re one of those lucky 30% that are already immune? At any rate I’d say it’s safe to go about your everyday activities, lol.

That’s pretty amazing given the infection rate. You must have slept butt to butt with an N-95 on every night, no? Although I did see that it only has a 70% or so infection rate. Maybe you’re one of those lucky 30% that are already immune? At any rate I’d say it’s safe to go about your everyday activities, lol.
I am 90% i had it in February, i lost taste and smell and had congestion,i thought.My wife never got sick at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Small businesses are in a tough spot. Assume she is incorporated, she could apply for PPP and get forgiveness on 2 months of income. PPP was a fantastic plan, big banks tried to ruin it, but the issue is, with all of these extended lockdowns, it might have been just a bandaid because 2 months doesn't really cover what some areas are experiencing.

They aren’t too bad off financially as they are both near retirement age (he’s well past it) and her income is only 1/3 of the households. Their house is also paid off and they only have normal bills and 1 car payment. They both work out of a home office, although he still owns a practice that he’s trying to sell to some of the younger people in it.

They’re always broke anyways and I always joke with her that she had to go and marry the one poor doctor out there. Of course she spends a metric boat load on supplements and vitamins. I wasn’t joking about the “who knows what supplements” part. Anytime I eat food there, it may taste delicious but I know my stomach isn’t going to be right for a week. That’s why I’m awake so dang early today.

I am 90% i had it in February, i lost taste and smell and had congestion,i thought.My wife never got sick at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure it hit my work county as early as November, which is why our county has roughly 1/10 the average cases for OH. I’m also 99% sure that at least 3 of my employees had it from November-February. We have a college in town with a huge Chinese population. If they have enough money to send their kids overseas to a 50k a year private college, it stands to reason that they have enough money to fly them to and fro anytime they’d like.

Those three employees were all diagnosed with double lung pneumonia with no history of it. One of them was my assistant and we share an office not much bigger than a golf cart. She was sick for 9 weeks. There were days she struggled to get from the front of the store to the back. She would just grab onto something gasping for air. Of course this was before we had even heard about Covid. There were days she felt a little better and days I’d try to send her home. I even accidentally drank from her water bottle. We started writing our names on them after that.

So I’ve either had it and been asymptomatic or am immune as well. 99% on that. I can’t wait for her and another couple of them to take the antibody test to confirm what I greatly suspect (as do they).

Wait 14-20 days and report back...

lol.

Joking. Good luck with the gym. I've had home stuff for years.

4 days later, my mood is better. My body feels better and I’m still alive. Can’t believe it...I get to get a haircut this coming Tuesday as well...I hope I make it.

This thread continues to amaze me. We have to learn to be civil with each other, even when we don’t agree.
I couldn't agree more

I know this is a very emotive time for everyone, but reading through this thread has changed my opinion of a number of people, some for the better, others for the worse based on what they have posted in this thread

Whatever your personal beliefs, or political leanings, this is bigger than all of that and it needs everyone to come together for the good of all countries, not just yours or mine
I have my thoughts on what I am comfortable with based on my personal circumstances (health, family, my place of employment, etc) but I don't see the need to rant and argue about it with everyone

The tone of this thread at times is why I have barely posted in it, and I don't believe I will be posting in it again any time soon

I just hope that everyone can get through this, and then maybe look back objectively at what was done/said and learn from it

I think our environment affects our stance greatly on this. I live on a small island, with an older demographic than a lot of places. Older parents are seen as an extension of the household. I see my mom about 5 days a week. She's in her mid 70s, has respiratory problems that come and go, but overall is healthy. She would be seen as extremely high risk though. I help her around the house, grocery shopping, etc.

When I impose strict distancing measures on myself, it's with her on my mind. I recently underwent surgery, took treatment, recovered and honestly wouldn't consider myself at risk at all despite a history of asthma. I don't see this as some unstoppable killer. Not going to a barber shop isn't necessarily meant to protect you specifically, it's all about controlling the spread of the disease. So when I see jokes about surviving going to a restaurant, going to the gym, etc I roll my eyes. No one is saying you will die if you partake in these activities. One of the major concepts is controlling the contagion some so that the most vulnerable are less exposed.

As things open up, I absolutely hope the people I inevitably come in contact with take certain precautions. I cannot impose that on them, but it's my hope. I really cannot limit my contact with my mother and if I were a carrier there is a decent chance I would spread it to her.

It's crazy that I have to keep clarifying this, but to stop the inevitable follow up questions - Does this mean I want to keep everything closed, etc? No, not at all. Answered this a bunch of times in the thread already. Just hope the people I happen to come in contact with have been responsible about the measures they took.

4 days later, my mood is better. My body feels better and I’m still alive. Can’t believe it...I get to get a haircut this coming Tuesday as well...I hope I make it.

Good things. Working out, weights, aerobic/HIT tends to lift your mood, make you more active, and clear your mind.

Lots of folks earning a living off of public institutions who never had to make a payroll can’t appreciate the damage that has been done to the economy, to families and to even future generations from a virus that disproportionately effects the old, the unhealthy, the obese.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in NYC, it’s those very people who are on public assistance that are being hit the hardest. Look at any map and it’s those poorest neighborhoods with the highest infection and hospitalization rates.

A north Mississippi church "destroyed by arson was suing city over safer-at-home order"

A Mississippi church at the center of an arson investigation is the same church currently in a battle with city leaders over a COVID-19 safer-at-home order.

First Pentecostal Church in Holly Springs was destroyed by what investigators believe is an arsonist.

Investigators found graffiti on pavement in the church parking lot that reads, “Bet you stay home now you hypokrits (sic)."

1590150182640.png

Unfortunately there is a lot of truth to this. The RV industry seems to be bouncing back pretty well around here and that makes a ton of sense with the uncertainty of flying or international travel. Restaurants, from what I've heard from friends only makes money at 90% capacity but they jumped in on the PPP and have to keep everyone employed at 50% capacity here (for now) because of that. Add in deliveries and who knows what they are actually running at. For us in the AG industry it's been tough for a while now (3-4 years) and we're running but the demand is not back yet. I can only speak for myself when I say the PPP helped a ton but I'm still scrambling to find new products or revenue sources because what we're at right now is not sustainable.

One of my friends is an Edward Jones guy and I think he said the other night that something like 100,000 businesses have already closed and I would guess in the next year we'll see a lot more. I'm fully on the open as quickly and responsibly as possible bus, which I think is what most of the people in this thread are advocating for once you translate the rhetoric. I think that's the only way to mitigate even part of the mess that's coming in say the next year or so.

I'm not sure what's going on downstate, but folks and businesses in Cadillac are relatively relaxed about the Governor's orders. The course might require different carts, the flags stay in, foam ring, no rakes for the bunkers... normal stuff. But nothing crazy like having to wear face masks on the course. Restaurants are still serving take out only (as far as I know).

The courses should be dried out from all the rain we had Sunday and Monday. Weather should be around 70° and sunny for the rest of the week. Enjoy the time with your sons.

I'm heading to my course just outside Cadillac tomorrow morning.

Played evergreen resort yesterday lakewood on the green today. Evergreen was a mess. 12” rough. Tee boxes full of weeds. Nice layout but im guessing rain has made it hard to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A north Mississippi church "destroyed by arson was suing city over safer-at-home order"

View attachment 8944888

Must work on our education system ... " hypocrites"

It's disgusting that Covid is causing such potential crimes. No excuse. You can kill people.

And this is not about churches, but any place where too many people congregate.

As we know, some churches have been hotspots for outbreaks. They need to limit capacity, use distancing and wear masks. Singing and speaking loudly spreads the virus more quickly. You can stream services if a church and congregation can't respect health measures. I am suspicious of preachers, too. Call me cynical, but I think some just want want to open up for people's money. There are other ways if the Church needs to pay its bills - phone calls, emails, etc. and can't take distancing measures.

I don't know how this Church conducted services, but there are reasonable solutions. If I were a Church, I would cooperate witih city officials and negotiate a compromise solution - I'd keep it quiet. But no excuse at all for committing crimes.

Call me cynical, but I think some just want want to open up for people's money. There are other ways if the Church needs to pay its bills - phone calls, emails, etc. and can't take distancing measures.

I don't know how this Church conducted services, but there are reasonable solutions. If I were a Church, I would cooperate witih city officials and negotiate a compromise solution - I'd keep it quiet. But no excuse at all for committing crimes.
I know of few churches that don't have an on-line giving option nowadays. Our parish is currently going through a phase reopening, yet we've been sending in our tithe to support it each week since this whole thing started.

Call me cynical, but I think some just want want to open up for people's money.
The same can be said for barber shops, nail salons, and restaurants, too.

I know of few churches that don't have an on-line giving option nowadays.
From our experience, in-person giving is a lot cheaper. The local guys (i.e. ushers) don't skim as much off the top as PayPal, Clover, or Square for providing the collection service!

We are in Santa Barbara mon- fri watching the grandson while the parents work from home. The courses are open as are the ranges, the course range I use there is Open, no restrictions but they do have hand sanitizer by the ball machine. One person to a cart. In Sandiego the course I frequent has one to a cart also but the range you have to make an appt. , only get one hour to hit.

I’m pretty sure it hit my work county as early as November, which is why our county has roughly 1/10 the average cases for OH. I’m also 99% sure that at least 3 of my employees had it from November-February. We have a college in town with a huge Chinese population. If they have enough money to send their kids overseas to a 50k a year private college, it stands to reason that they have enough money to fly them to and fro anytime they’d like.

Those three employees were all diagnosed with double lung pneumonia with no history of it. One of them was my assistant and we share an office not much bigger than a golf cart. She was sick for 9 weeks. There were days she struggled to get from the front of the store to the back. She would just grab onto something gasping for air. Of course this was before we had even heard about Covid. There were days she felt a little better and days I’d try to send her home. I even accidentally drank from her water bottle. We started writing our names on them after that.

So I’ve either had it and been asymptomatic or am immune as well. 99% on that. I can’t wait for her and another couple of them to take the antibody test to confirm what I greatly suspect (as do they).
Interesting. My work had a similar thing starting first of December. A number of us 60+ folks got something that lasted 7 to 9 weeks. We thought we had the flu. Sickest I've been in years. My doctor said, just a virus, nothing to give me. It was brutal

Then my son, a swim instructor here in north america,told me he had two families, both from the Wuhan area, took their kids out of swim club in early january as they had both had deaths in Oct, nov and december in their families back home, from a strange pneumonia

Regardless, lets all hope for a vaccine soon.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.

I couldn't agree more

I know this is a very emotive time for everyone, but reading through this thread has changed my opinion of a number of people, some for the better, others for the worse based on what they have posted in this thread

Whatever your personal beliefs, or political leanings, this is bigger than all of that and it needs everyone to come together for the good of all countries, not just yours or mine
I have my thoughts on what I am comfortable with based on my personal circumstances (health, family, my place of employment, etc) but I don't see the need to rant and argue about it with everyone

The tone of this thread at times is why I have barely posted in it, and I don't believe I will be posting in it again any time soon

I just hope that everyone can get through this, and then maybe look back objectively at what was done/said and learn from it

This has been the most divisive thread I’ve seen here. There are three categories that I’ve seen...

1. Those scared to death. This is the end of the world.

2. Those that have a healthy respect for this and what it’s doing to our future. They take it seriously but realize that we can’t cower in a corner. At least forever.

3. Those that couldn’t give a crap about this. Some think it’s a hoax, WAY overblown, etc. they’ll realize it’s serious once they (unfortunately and this in general) lose someone that they know and-or care about it.

At any rate, this place is by far the most level headed place I’ve come upon on the Internet. So when I’m seeing divisive and corrosive posts on here, I feel that it’s because people are scared. I hate it as I feel that everyone on this website is my friend. I unfortunately misinterpreted a post yesterday, asked exactly what was meant, and moved on. If I didn’t apologize then here it is @JDax , I’m sorry.

I deal with the results of this everyday in my job. From panic buying to sick people being in close contact, it has me concerned. Not overtly scared, but concerned.

I just want it over. You seem like a reasonable fellow, don’t run away because a few people are asshats at times in their posts. Hell, I’ve worn that hat many times. Most of the time because I didn’t get the tone (hard to convey in the web).

I’m firmly in number 2 (yes I said it, put your jokes down). Concerned. Taking any safeguard I can to keep me (and most importantly ) my kids safe.

So if you choose not to come back to this thread, that’s fine. But if you are indeed a doc, your opinion of what’s going on will be valued by many, myself included.

My older neighbor tore his hamstring so helped him unload some soil from his car. His wife was very appreciative and also expressed her gratitude for my wife’s service (she’s an internal medicine resident) during these crazy times. It was a very positive and normal interaction (from >6 feet). I’m looking forward to more of this in the coming weeks and months.

This has been the most divisive thread I’ve seen here. There are three categories that I’ve seen...

1. Those scared to death. This is the end of the world.

2. Those that have a healthy respect for this and what it’s doing to our future. They take it seriously but realize that we can’t cower in a corner. At least forever.

3. Those that couldn’t give a crap about this. Some think it’s a hoax, WAY overblown, etc. they’ll realize it’s serious once they (unfortunately and this in general) lose someone that they know and-or care about it.

At any rate, this place is by far the most level headed place I’ve come upon on the Internet. So when I’m seeing divisive and corrosive posts on here, I feel that it’s because people are scared. I hate it as I feel that everyone on this website is my friend. I unfortunately misinterpreted a post yesterday, asked exactly what was meant, and moved on. If I didn’t apologize then here it is @JDax , I’m sorry.

I deal with the results of this everyday in my job. From panic buying to sick people being in close contact, it has me concerned. Not overtly scared, but concerned.

I just want it over. You seem like a reasonable fellow, don’t run away because a few people are asshats at times in their posts. Hell, I’ve worn that hat many times. Most of the time because I didn’t get the tone (hard to convey in the web).

I’m firmly in number 2 (yes I said it, put your jokes down). Concerned. Taking any safeguard I can to keep me (and most importantly ) my kids safe.

So if you choose not to come back to this thread, that’s fine. But if you are indeed a doc, your opinion of what’s going on will be valued by many, myself included.
Don’t apologize to me... Keep doing what you are doing, stay safe. Get ready to fill a bunch of scripts for Hydroxychloroquine 😎... If you are in charge of ordering over the counter supplements get a lot of Zinc.

Did I read that right above that someone thinks we should stay locked down and let the government provide for us? That is a hot take. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back