Trying to Break 100

Oddly I hit my driver way better than I hit my hybrids. This year I am determined to figure out how to hit my 3 hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
....by selling it and getting a 5-wood.

fixed that for ya.

@tehuti and @Hamfist
I hit my driver better than my three hybrid. So I sold it and got put a 5 wood in the bag. Then I tried a four hybrid and hit my driver better than that. So I sold it and replaced it with a 4 iron. Problem solved!

Good warm up at Sleepy Hollow should make Ironwoods greens seem dead flat.

7-wood, then.

The 7 wood is currently on the bench. Trust me, I've done this dance before. This time I am giving the hybrid another shot. :confused:

The 7 wood is currently on the bench. Trust me, I've done this dance before. This time I am giving the hybrid another shot. :confused:
I have an cheap old 7 iron in the garage that I used to CRUSH.....in my first life as a golfer....20+ years ago....

I couldn't hit a driver to save my life (glad that changed) and I used to tee off with the 7. I could really put some stank on it as the club was short and so controllable (especially off the tee) and I would hit it straight down the fairway for some pretty good distance off the tee. It was the only FW I'd hit off turf, as well. I got to a point where I'd just carry the 7 wood and my irons/wedges/putter...lightened the bag and I could easily carry a couple more beers with no extra weight ;)

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if I should carry it sometime and give it a whirl....

3 hybrid is easier to hit than 5 wood in my opinion. The long fairway wood shafts drive a lot of us nuts.

Dave

3 hybrid is easier to hit than 5 wood in my opinion. The long fairway wood shafts drive a lot of us nuts.

Dave

Most people play the wrong length. Fw’s are a strength of mine and I play my 4w at 41.5” and my 7w at 40.5

OK, OK... I know I said I was going to take a break and then get reset after a lesson.
I lied.

Got the itch today and went to hit a few balls which then turned into playing 18.
Shot a 97 and shook off lots of the confusion surrounding my last few rounds.
Just focused on doing a few things well instead of standing over the ball with a dozen "swing thoughts" cluttering my brain.

Four bad tee shots and four shanked approaches spoiled it from being a better number - but it was a good baby step for me. Short game was fine and iron striking was moderately improved minus the 4 hacks. (this has been my latest nemesis)

Dave
Chop it down, OEM stock lengths of FW can be silly

Decisions, decisions.

I'm loving the golf bag right now. It's the most enjoyable golf I've played in a long time - maybe ever - even if it isn't the best golf I've ever played. But I'm getting that itch to add to it.

Right now I'm only carrying putter, 56/10 SW, 9i, 8i, 6i, and 3h. The 7i was on backorder when I bought the new clubs but is now available. I was considering adding it along with a GW and a driver.

According to GameGolf, my typical distances are 3h-192, 6i-165, 8i-136. The 9i typical distance is 116, but I use it for any shot between 90 and 130 yards. I was struggling hitting distances less than 120 with it, but have since gotten better with those yardages.

All I've wanted out of this game for the last several years was enjoyment. I've seemingly found that and am now chomping at the bit to screw it up by adding clubs. What the hell is wrong with me?!!

What would you guys/gals do?

I get that. But when you chop the FW down the swing weight is all messed up.

There is so much about modern equipment that does not really suit the best interests of the golfer. I don't get it.

Dave

Decisions, decisions.

I'm loving the golf bag right now. It's the most enjoyable golf I've played in a long time - maybe ever - even if it isn't the best golf I've ever played. But I'm getting that itch to add to it.

Right now I'm only carrying putter, 56/10 SW, 9i, 8i, 6i, and 3h. The 7i was on backorder when I bought the new clubs but is now available. I was considering adding it along with a GW and a driver.

According to GameGolf, my typical distances are 3h-192, 6i-165, 8i-136. The 9i typical distance is 116, but I use it for any shot between 90 and 130 yards. I was struggling hitting distances less than 120 with it, but have since gotten better with those yardages.

All I've wanted out of this game for the last several years was enjoyment. I've seemingly found that and am now chomping at the bit to screw it up by adding clubs. What the hell is wrong with me?!!

What would you guys/gals do?

Play the way you enjoy it most! 165 6 iron is beast mode! Nice job.

Dave

I get that. But when you chop the FW down the swing weight is all messed up.

There is so much about modern equipment that does not really suit the best interests of the golfer. I don't get it.

Dave
You have to take the grip off to butt trim so a little lead tape fixes that

Went to the range. Had yet another good session. Minimal bad shots which makes me think when I go play I’ll shoot a 120 because golf.

But I was crushing the driver pretty well, hitting irons well. 4 thru 7 got a lot of work.

Hit the 5 wood off the deck a handful of times and that was working.

I feel like I could go shoot an 85 right now. I told my buddy hey we should just go play 9 right now.

Just gotta take that range swing to the course. Reaaaaalllly working at the range at just staying loose and keeping it fun. I of course keep my setup in mind and stay aware of some swing thoughts, but once I pull into the backswing at the range, I’ve just been cutting loose with a nice fluid swing.

Hard work seeming to pay off but we shall see....I know I will have some backslides too but it’s nice to see some payoff. Been hitting a lot of balls lately.

Play the way you enjoy it most! 165 6 iron is beast mode! Nice job.

Dave
Yeah, I'm not sure where that distance is coming from. Also, keep in mind "typical" is different than "average" as defined by GameGolf. The app discards most of the duffs and punch shots.

Still, the 6i had always been my 150 yard club - and I'm not getting any younger. So it must be the Maltby KE4 Tours you recommended. Even off-center strikes are getting good distances.

@tehuti and @Hamfist
I hit my driver better than my three hybrid. So I sold it and got put a 5 wood in the bag. Then I tried a four hybrid and hit my driver better than that. So I sold it and replaced it with a 4 iron. Problem solved!

Yes, my 3 wood and ANY hybrid have been my Achilles heel, not my driver. But the 4 wood seems to be working out. I am trying out the 3 hybrid (again) and if I still can’t hit it I’ll go back to the 7 wood.

Yes, my 3 wood and ANY hybrid have been my Achilles heel, not my driver. But the 4 wood seems to be working out. I am trying out the 3 hybrid (again) and if I still can’t hit it I’ll go back to the 7 wood.

Always been intrigued by a 4 wood as a single FW option which would leave me open for another club (if I used the 4 in place of 3 and 5 woods). Could add another wedge maybe. I dunno how much I need another wedge though.

I don’t use the 3 wood much so that would be an easy swap but probably don’t need a 4 and 5 wood.

Watching some golf channel this morning and they were talking about Bryson which sent be down the rabbit hole of looking at single length irons.

Still intrigued by these. Seems like it would be so much simpler to have all your irons be the same length...same feel and setup on each club....

Always been intrigued by a 4 wood as a single FW option which would leave me open for another club (if I used the 4 in place of 3 and 5 woods). Could add another wedge maybe. I dunno how much I need another wedge though.

I don’t use the 3 wood much so that would be an easy swap but probably don’t need a 4 and 5 wood.

That's exactly what I did, I opted for the 4 in place of 3 and 5. In the 5 spot is where I am trying to fit either a 3 or 4 hybrid or a 7 wood.

That's exactly what I did, I opted for the 4 in place of 3 and 5. In the 5 spot is where I am trying to fit either a 3 or 4 hybrid or a 7 wood.

I have been hitting the 5 pretty well though so I dunno if I’d want to drop it. Last time I used it twice off tee (on a long par 3 and and on a hard dogleg to drive into the turn) and it played really well for me. Also use it off the turf as needed though with more mixed success. Was hitting it off the mat at the range last night for a handful of shots and getting really solid results.

It’s probably a keeper.

I just need to figure out how much I need a 3 wood. I really almost never use it. But have considered using off the tee some.

I do have the old 7 wood laying around...have thought about pulling the 3 for a while and carrying a 5 and 7 but not sure if a 7 is redundant/unneeded sitting between the 5W and 4 iron.

Really I’m mostly happy with my bag setup. The whole thought here is could I carry something I’d get more out of than a rarely used 3W?

Last edited:
I have been hitting the 5 pretty well though so I dunno if I’d want to drop it. Last time I used it twice off tee (on a long par 3 and and on a hard dogleg today drive into the turn) and it played really well for me. Also use it off the turf as needed though with more mixed success. Was hitting it off the mat at the range last night for a handful of shots and getting really solid results.

It’s probably a keeper.

I just need to figure out how much I need a 3 wood. I really almost never use it. But have considered using off the tee some.

I do have the old 7 wood laying around...have thought about pulling the 3 for a while and carrying a 5 and 7 but not sure if a 7 is redundant/unneeded sitting between the 5W and 4 iron.

Really I’m mostly happy with my bag setup. The whole thought here is could I carry something I’d get more out of than a rarely used 3W?

Yeah it sounds like you could bench the 3 wood and not miss it. I only used mine off the tee, and it was so rare that I hardly ever used it at all.

Yeah it sounds like you could bench the 3 wood and not miss it. I only used mine off the tee, and it was so rare that I hardly ever used it at all.
Maybe next range session I should hit the 3 more and have a session where I'm working the woods a little more. I have been really intensively hitting irons...and working the driver in a bit toward the end. Been working the 5W a bit, but just haven't focused on the 3W as much (due to my rare use of it). I'm sure I have use for the 3W...maybe if I worked on the range with it, I'd be comfortable pulling it in a round from time to time (sometimes in place of the 5W, most likely). Was actually considering going at lunch for a session...but I have a contractor here working on some stuff at my house, so I'll probably be stuck around the house all day.

That is how I am trying to work with my 3 hybrid. I am reviewing a hybrid shaft for MGS right now, so it gives me an excuse to use it. By the end of the review I need to decide if I will "love it or bench it". Otherwise it wouldn't even be in my bag because of my struggles with hybrids. But I really want to like them.

Back