Wedges. Are they really necessary?

NEPA_Lefty

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been golfing since 1992 and only ever had a PW. A sand wedge would be nice, but I rarely need one. But my question is more about a lob/approach/whatever-you-want-to-call-it wedge. I've never used one and always felt good using a PW from 110 yards on in. Playing with my buddy the other day, he asked why I didn't have one, but yet he was impressed with the 2 shots I had with the PW where a different wedge would have been used.

Is it worth learning a different club, even though I'm comfortable with what I've used for 30 years?

I have 4 different wedges, so obviously I'm a fan. I am not afraid to take a full swing with a wedge so mostly what I choose depends on distance from the pin. Of course, loft is probably the biggest issue if you are only carrying a PW. There are definitely times when a flop shot has a better chance for success if you can't risk a ball rolling past the pin and off the green, or there's an obstacle in front of the hole that prevents bumping and running it. I do have friends that only use a PW or 9 iron though inside 100 yds and who are incredibly good with it. I think the advantage being, if you use one 'wedge' constantly, it's only natural that you're going to get pretty consistent with it. I think having at least one highly lofted wedge so you can pull off a flop shot if you need to is ideal.

Yeah, probably.

Using a traditional wedge for all that work is a skill, and probably a lost one for most these days, but you're definitely making some shots harder than they need to be by not having any others.

"Learning" to use a wedge should be no different than when you had to 'learn' to use your 9 iron. It's just a different loft.

In fact, with some wedges coming in at say, 42 or 43*, you may have a PW at 47* that some would call an approach wedge. It's all just a number designed to produce a certain yardage with your swing.

That said, the utility/value of a higher lofted wedge is entirely up to you.

~Rock

A LW or SW having extra bounce over a PW is so much easier out of the greenside bunkers of which we have at least two on every hole at my home course. I could and sometimes do pull my 51* wedge but the SW and LW are more important than any of my lower lofted irons including my PW. I normally play 4 wedges, two fairway woods, and pull my 4 iron.

I am fan of wedges and to me using wedges in different ways with different shots is one of the most fun parts of the game for me. Specialty wedges give you a wider sole and more bounce options not to mention grinds for your type of swing. YES they are necessary...at least for me

unless you are better than me hitting greens in regulation, I think you would really love a 56 or 60 degree wedge to complement your PW. How do you fill your 14 clubs without wedges?

Last edited:
Played just a PW and SW for decades and could play any shot shot I faced between them. My overall wedge game was probably better then but I also put in insane amounts of work with them. Plus that old PW likely had more loft than my current GW.
So adding wedges is not absolutely necessary but as @OldandStiff stated your're having to work harder for your results than you should. You've already put in the work and are proficient with just your PW so it's completely up to you. I like the versatility more wedges offer.

Last edited:
I've been golfing since 1992 and only ever had a PW. A sand wedge would be nice, but I rarely need one. But my question is more about a lob/approach/whatever-you-want-to-call-it wedge. I've never used one and always felt good using a PW from 110 yards on in. Playing with my buddy the other day, he asked why I didn't have one, but yet he was impressed with the 2 shots I had with the PW where a different wedge would have been used.

Is it worth learning a different club, even though I'm comfortable with what I've used for 30 years?
If you play my local course, you would welcome a higher lofted wedge. It is a beast with tiny high elevated greens. It is extremely hard to use a pitching wedge or even a sand wedge on some of the lies. If the course and greens were flat, all I would need is a PW, but not on this one. Of course if you are good enough to drop it on the green every time, who needs a PW or any higher lofted wedge? :ROFLMAO:

I carry four wedges, my PW is 45*, and I carry a 50*, 55*, and 60*. I use them all, and wouldn't be without them. It really kind of depends on the rest of your bag too, if you are carrying 14 clubs, you have to give up something to get another wedge in the bag. You have to decide if you can make a spot or two for them, for me that was an easy decision.

In my opinion, for what its worth considering my skill, I say yes they are. Having more options at the bottom of the bag just makes more sense to me. When you're 175+ yards out, the options you have are no where near the number of ways you can advance a ball in and around the green in the go zone. With the longer clubs it's about gapping, with the lower end of the bag its about options and creativity.

Golf's pretty hard if you want to do it decently well. But it can be made even harder if that's what you prefer.

No reason to carry a wedge, a putter, a driver or any other club. I played nine holes with nothing but a 4-iron once. That was cool, once, for nine holes. Although I'll admit it did take me 4-5 tries to get out of a bunker with that 4-iron.

Day in and day out, I just as soon use a wedge for wedge shots, a putter to putt with and a driver off the tee. Maybe if could break 60 with all my clubs I'd get bored and try the 4-iron thing again.

I too carry 4 wedges....all for the same reasons.....options on different shots I need/want to hit.

i have some rounds where i don't use my LW and some rounds where i do...so for me, i could probably get by (with my ghastly game) with just having a PW, AW and SW...

Necessary? In strict sense, no. Massively helpful? Yes. I can do a lot with my 46* pitching wedge but for a range of near and around the green shot making I am happier and will likely score better having at least two two speciality wedges. I currently have three and find good use for all of them every round.

I also think of the gap wedge (48-52, depending on the iron set and golfer preference) as the modern pitching wedge.

Necessary is a strong word, let's just say it's better to have one for certain shots, but I think players are starting to see that high lofted wedges like LW are really not needed very often.

But I couldn't live without my GW, use that for chipping a lot, and I use a SW for higher pitches over bunkers and such, also those grassy lies near the hole, oh and bunkers, wouldn't want to use a PW for that.

I think at least a single higher lofted iron with more bounce you would find handy. During parts of the season and on some courses a variety of wedges serve me well but at other times I could easily carry just 1 above my PW. I think some of the pro's of old carried only a SW

I love my wedges. Do I neeeeed them? no. It's why I have gone from having PW, 50,56,60 to only PW, 54, 60.

Less options made me less confused and more committed to the shot I want to hit. Although, if I went through an legitimate wedge fitting/gap testing, I would be absolutely ok with having more wedges knowing what I hit each one with a full shot, easy shot, pitch, chip. Especially since I only have 12 clubs in the bag currently haha

unless you are better at me hitting greens in regulation, I think you would really love a 56 or 60 degree wedge to complement your PW. How do you fill your 14 clubs without wedges?

I'm gonna guess he isn't carrying 14.

My home course has 95ish bunkers on it. A higher lofted wedge is absolutely necessary for me.

I could do a lot of the shots I do with a PW, but are easier with a specialty wedge

If you're happy with where your game is at, keep doing what you're doing.
If you're wondering whether more wedges could help, they may... and they may not. It sounds like you may be interested in trying a wedge or 2 beyond your PW... give it a shot. It may help with club gapping in your bag close to the green.

I think I’d struggle with just a PW. I carry PW, 50 and 56 and that suits me well. I wouldn’t fancy playing 50 and 60 yard shots with my PW, and I don’t think I’d have much success out of bunkers with it. For me, a sand wedge, at least, would need to be in my bag.

For me...and I'm not a great golfer, I recommend carrying at least a couple. I find I can do more with them than by carrying longer clubs at the top of the bag.....I can hit them all more consistently, and if you can take some of the guesswork of half swings, three quarter swings, etc, out of the game, it's just easier in that scoring range.

I carry a PW and GW which I both mainly use on approach shots from fairway or rough. I have a 54 which I use on approach from fairway (distances inside the PW/GW) or from longer trouble shots (if I'm in the rough from 40 yards out, say). My 58 I will use on a full swing depending on lie, what I need to do, but I'm more likely to use it around the green a lot, from sand, or to try a flop (I don't try flops too often) as needed. I find that I use the wedges a lot more (as a whole...all 4 of them) than I do most clubs (outside the putter) and they each add something of value to me.

Back