Shot Scope V3 is Here!

I finally got out with the V3 yesterday, and it is a much better fit for me than Arccos. I love having the GPS on a watch rather than having to fiddle with a phone app. No phone burning a hole in my leg, dying on the back nine, or playing with a Mophie in the back pocket.

I have some course mapping issues to address with them. 3 of the 8 fairways I actually hit got recorded as missed fairways, and some tee boxes show up as 'rough' in the dashboard (granted, yesterday, some of them actually played like rough :p). The tee shot on one hole was also showing 7-8 yards shorter than what Game Golf and Google Earth measures.

I had to clean up a few shots, but my total was only 1 off the actual score, as opposed to 40 and 50 shots off like I got in 2 rounds with Arccos.

I thought I had putting set to 'manual', but it didn't operate quite the way I was expecting. I entered the number of putts and marked the pin location -- that sounds like the other method, right? It seems like some of the settings I set don't take hold in the watch, but I need more time to be sure.

Looks like next year it is. I am glad they had the kind of reception that they did.

1596211712179.png

For those that use this, did you/ do you still use rangefinder? Wondering what this will add to my game and why i need it?

On occasion sure. Most of the time though only if the numbers feel "off" (they aren't).

I will take a look at this next year. I've been looking at watches for a while. I ended up getting a Garmin Approach s20. It was on sale for pretty cheap. I used it yesterday. Yardage looks pretty accurate. I was still scoping everything but distances were accurate. I imagine I will use my scope a bit less.

I need to figure out how it is going to keep score and track clubs. I have been playing around with settings. Pretty straight forward to use. We'll see how I like it.

It seems like some of the settings I set don't take hold in the watch, but I need more time to be sure.
Make sure you use the ✅ (upper right button) to confirm and save your selection.

For those that use this, did you/ do you still use rangefinder? Wondering what this will add to my game and why i need it?
Hand in glove compatibility. Use the laser when precision is needed. Use the watch when it isn’t. The watch gives better hazard information in my opinion because it’s hard to shoot the front edge of a bunker, for example. But the real value of the V3 isn’t just the yardages, but the post round breakdowns.

I finally got a response from Shotscope - through an IG DM - 20 days later. My course now shows 18 holes, but a par 5 is listed as a par 4. I'm playing this afternoon, so hopefully the layouts are correct and it's an easy fix for them in 3ish weeks...

I finally got a response from Shotscope - through an IG DM - 20 days later. My course now shows 18 holes, but a par 5 is listed as a par 4. I'm playing this afternoon, so hopefully the layouts are correct and it's an easy fix for them in 3ish weeks...
You can create another set of tees temporarily, call them whatever color you want, to change the par from 4 to 5. Check the link for item 5 in the following (https://support.shotscope.com/hc/en...8-How-do-I-sign-off-a-round-on-the-dashboard-) We did that as we swap two holes to shake things up. We move back to the back tees on a par 4 and it now plays as a par 5. We move up to the forward tees on a par 5 to play it as a long par 4. The scores on those holes are accurately recorded as pars, birdies, etc. as to how we play them. However, I was told that the watch will show the original par and not the par I created as the change is local and not a global change. Just make sure when you edit your round you select the correct set of tees.

Make sure you use the ✅ (upper right button) to confirm and save your selection.
I am, but after thinking more about it, I think it is user error/inexperience at play here. I think it is working as intended. I had "Btn Lock" disabled and never once had to press the lower left button to access hazard info, etc. yesterday.

I'll try the different putting mode next time out to see the differences.

Well I finally got to use my V3 yesterday. It’s awesome! Didn’t miss a shot and I like looking at the data post round. I’m still soured with their CS and taking almost three weeks to add my course, but the system itself seems to be something I’ll really like. One more concern is I only played 9 and it used about 40% of my battery - I’ll keep an eye on that and report back after a few more rounds.

Well I finally got to use my V3 yesterday. It’s awesome! Didn’t miss a shot and I like looking at the data post round. I’m still soured with their CS and taking almost three weeks to add my course, but the system itself seems to be something I’ll really like. One more concern is I only played 9 and it used about 40% of my battery - I’ll keep an eye on that and report back after a few more rounds.
Huh
I played 18 yesterday in 2 hrs and 8 minutes and when I plugged in the watch it had 74% batt life left.

mine is in L1 mode

Last edited:
I played yesterday and we were just under 3 hours and I had it in watch mode both on the way to the course and home. I had over 70% battery capacity left. I had it in L1 mode.

Mine's in L1+L5. It was my first time out that I've actually been able to use the watch, so I'll play around with settings to see what differences they make.

Mine's in L1+L5. It was my first time out that I've actually been able to use the watch, so I'll play around with settings to see what differences they make.
I've used that L1+L5 setting from time to time but have never had les than 64% battery capacity left when I plug it in to charge. Do note, however, that 3 hour rounds give or take a few minutes, are typical for us and I don't turn set the watch to "play" until about 5-10 minutes before tee time, well after any stretching or practice swings warming up.

Am I doing something wrong with penalties? I hit my second shot on a par 5 to the right, a 5W, it hit on a slope, kicked right into a penalty area. I went up to where the ball went into the hazard, took my drop, indicated a penalty drop on the watch, then proceed to hit my 6i approach into the hole. When I review the round the penalty is assigned and I indicate that the 5W was a "positional" shot to keep it out of my approach stats as I was not trying to reach the green. However, with or without it be a "positional" shot, no yardage is assigned to it. Like I asked up front, am I doing something wrong or are shots that result in penalties not included in that clubs distance stats?

1596313825439.png

Another 9 today and fingers crossed, not a single missed shot. Really liking the data from it post round.

Am I doing something wrong with penalties? I hit my second shot on a par 5 to the right, a 5W, it hit on a slope, kicked right into a penalty area. I went up to where the ball went into the hazard, took my drop, indicated a penalty drop on the watch, then proceed to hit my 6i approach into the hole. When I review the round the penalty is assigned and I indicate that the 5W was a "positional" shot to keep it out of my approach stats as I was not trying to reach the green. However, with or without it be a "positional" shot, no yardage is assigned to it. Like I asked up front, am I doing something wrong or are shots that result in penalties not included in that clubs distance stats?

View attachment 8955883

They're not included in the distance stats.

I know that "positional" shots are not included in distance stats, but if I normally designate a 2nd shot, a lay-up, on a par 5 as a "positional" shot it still shows a distance. Even if not included in the distance stats, shouldn't the shot that resulted in a penalty still show a yardage? Or, just speculating, because there is no way to determine where the drop is relative to the distance the shot went it is meaningless to assign ANY distance to it?

I know that "positional" shots are not included in distance stats, but if I normally designate a 2nd shot, a lay-up, on a par 5 as a "positional" shot it still shows a distance. Even if not included in the distance stats, shouldn't the shot that resulted in a penalty still show a yardage? Or, just speculating, because there is no way to determine where the drop is relative to the distance the shot went it is meaningless to assign ANY distance to it?

I had distances show up when I added a penalty shot after the round, not sure if it's different from in round

Is there any way to manually mark a tee shot as hitting the fairway? I'm guessing this is a mapping issue, as the location of my second shot is within the fairway on the hole diagrams, but the shot summary below the diagram lists the second shots as from the "Rough". 5/14 as recorded is a lot different than the actual 8/14 I hit last time out.

Edit the hole and move the shot slightly to be on the fairway, I have to do this every now and then

Is there any way to manually mark a tee shot as hitting the fairway? I'm guessing this is a mapping issue, as the location of my second shot is within the fairway on the hole diagrams, but the shot summary below the diagram lists the second shots as from the "Rough". 5/14 as recorded is a lot different than the actual 8/14 I hit last time out.
Edit the hole and move the shot slightly to be on the fairway, I have to do this every now and then
Like MikeF says, you have to move the shot on the map slightly. To define the outlines of the tee boxes, fairways and greens there is a process called Geo fencing which creates boundaries. Based on how recent the Google map is (which is what I believe Shot Scope uses) those boundaries may have changed slightly over time. In my case, they blew up our 8th green last year and the new green is a little different in size and shape so some shots near the edges have to be edited to show they either are on or off the green. It is minor and with the issues at hand I don't want to bother Shot Scope with seeing if there is a more recent map they could use to define that green.

Edit the hole and move the shot slightly to be on the fairway
Like MikeF says, you have to move the shot on the map slightly
Granted, this was a poor tee shot that ended up a lot shorter than usual on this hole, but this is considered a 'missed' fairway (roughly shown in black) right now:

missedFairway.png

I think remapping is the only way to help here, right?

How far do you need to move it up to be classed as on the fairway?

Granted, this was a poor tee shot that ended up a lot shorter than usual on this hole, but this is considered a 'missed' fairway (roughly shown in black) right now:

View attachment 8955967

I think remapping is the only way to help here, right?
If this is a course you play regularly I'd say first wait and see if it happens again. I see a lot of trees in that shot that could possibly affect GPS accuracy. I had a case where on of my approaches to our first hole showed the result waaaay left of the green when in fact it was on the green but only a foot or two on. It was an anomaly and hasn't happened again......yet. There are no trees or anything that might interfere with the GPS in my case, but quoted GPS accuracy is always stated with 95% reliability. L5 is supposed to help with that when completely implemented.

Back