Golf Balls in the Fall - Color Conversation

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Ah yes, Fall. Love the weather, adore it even, HATE the leaves on the course.

Im going to have to pack in my go to (TP5x Pix 2.0) because they just blend too well with the fallen leaves that are EVERYWHERE on courses here this time of year.

While I usually go white since yellow tends to blend for me too this time of year, I got to thinking about other colors. Anyone switch to a colored ball this time of year?

I play yellow all year. Still hard to find in the fall.

If anything, I'm going to switch away from red this fall. It seems like every colored ball is made in a color that blends with fall leaves.

• Staff
If anything, I'm going to switch away from red this fall. It seems like every colored ball is made in a color that blends with fall leaves.
Crazily, I’m considering the light blue Vice Pro Soft :ROFLMAO:

Wife found a red ball the other day and boy did it stand out. It was a real off brand so I don't recall what it was before she hit it into the lake. She ordered a dozen cheap Bridgestone red balls for the fall/leaf season. I might hit a few just for the fun of it. No since in loosing good balls this time of the year.

I switch to matte green, which is the easiest for me to track/find this time of year. I'll likely play the Maxfli Tour for the remainder of the season. At some point I want to try Vice Pro or Pro Plus in Lime.

I actually find the matte red balls easy to find in the leaves.

I stick to white all year round. It usually does a decent job sticking out 3xcept when buried in the grass

I stick to white all year round. It usually does a decent job sticking out 3xcept when buried in the grass
That is why I hate red... Find the long fall rough... Forget it

I used to change the color with the season but I’m with @M2Giles here - white does the best at standing out for my course. White is the only color the leaves don’t turn.

My wife plays the matte green balls this time of year and it's amazing how well they stand out. I usually switch back from yellow or Truvis to white this time of year.

Unless you are going to go pink, colored balls are probably a waste of time. Red, yellow or orange balls are only going to blend in with the leaves.

Nothing crazy about that at all. They have always added blue to the white formulations to make them brighter.

Blue is across the color wheel from orange and yellow, which makes the visual contrast greater. (y)

Yellow is often added to white golf balls to make you think they are "softer."

Often white game improvement balls
are made brightest with the most BLUE, as they expect you to have trouble finding them. :love:

White is my go to this time of year.

I'm going to mix in some red and orange, only because I have a handful of each on the shelf already.

Ha! We played a course in central Michigan this weekend. Peak foliage and sooo many leaves on the ground. Wife tee'd up a bright pink ball and it was tough to find on the edge of the fairway. She switched so all three of us playing had white balls. Still tough to find in leaves and shade. I wear amber sunglasses so white stands out the best, still wife and other partner were on top of theirs a few times and still couldnt see them... it was comical except for the time it too to find them...

We probably lost 20 among us and found almost that many...

I've tried blue Maxfli balls and I just can't see them in the air. But I do like the Vice Pro Soft.

Mellow Yellow all year long!

I like to play reds if possible. I had to put the pix away for the same reason. They're wearing camo out there. I tried the Vice Pro neon red and they seem tolerable for a fall/winter ball. Feels are definitely a little different, but performance was pretty good.

I've been playing some TP5 yellow though, and those things are pretty visible. I might stick with those. I don't love yellow, but that's my ball.

Last edited:
I actually find the matte red balls easy to find in the leaves.
Oddly I have a hard time finding those in grass. My brain doesn't want to see them or something.

To the question at hand though I like white during the fall and yellow during the winter.

Ooh red/green color blind is the most common. (y)

I see yellow a little better in the air than white but I play white this time of year because there are so many yellow leaves on the ground. FWIW light blue is the only color that completely vanishes in the air.

With my eyes. it had better be a brilliantly clear day for me to play a white ball. I flirted with orange for a while but have settled back on yellow. The leaves are kinda dull this year in the Northeast, so yellow continues to work well for me. I've thought about playing a red and white Truvis, perhaps being the best combination of tracking in the air and finding on the ground. Haven't tried that yet.

I think a high visibility fall ball would be a marketing coup for a company looking to capture market share. I'd think it would be easy enough to do. Maybe it would be so ugly even I wouldn't play it. But that would be really, really ugly

Back