Interesting comment about one length irons.

I came so close to buying a set a while back, but I felt the graphite shafts were too stiff for me. Someone on here had them at a decent price. I would have at least tried them and then I would have a better opinion and do my own analysis.

I may keep my eyes open for a set with regular graphite shafts and give them a go just for the heck of it. Nothing to lose going into the winter as courses become less crowded and I have more time to experiment.

From reading all these posts it seems each golfer's style and ability bring out different experiences with OLs. Since I have only golfed for almost a couple years it isn't like I have a ton of stuff to unlearn anyway.

I'm not a great golfer but I do think I've seen an improvement in consistency the last couple years that I've been playing OL. I liked the F8 hybrid but not the F9, part of that is likely swing speed and loft (F8 is 22*, F9 is 19*) but I've been meddling around with the top end of my bag this year and haven't put them back into play.

As my swing has come back a bit this year I'm really enjoying the OL, I'm still struggling a bit with the 5 iron though. Primarily I think I'm still putting too much effort into swinging it faster because a good swing does produce good results. I don't really see myself going back to VL. OL is a bit easier for me simply because of what others have touched on, it only requires one swing and I'm not as worried about what my clubs look like (though the forged tec did address that for many) as what they do when I put a good swing on them. For me, these perform. Everyone has different wants and expectations on the course so not everyone will or should switch to these, though I think everyone who plays golf could play them.

Much the same as brand v brand or shaft preference everyone should play what they like and what they play well with. For some OL will fit the bill.

Go for it if get at reasonable cost and can ideally hit first IMO. I strongly believe for a good player that iron tech might not be as important as drivers - what you want is a fairly repeatable result with fairly accurate distances. I am a low handicap player and believe I played my best golf with older Hogan Edge and especially Tommy Armour clubs + some Titleist models. Difference with practice and proper fitting not huge any major manufacturer these days all high quality and shaft most important variable my opinion. Consider PXG till end of month giving 0211 to all at 89 a club and I got fit and love them (I am a Veteran so always get discount). Strong clubs, very long and tight dispersion with good feel. Fitting is the variable and they do 2 hour on range for $50. Good luck.

Go for it if get at reasonable cost and can ideally hit first IMO. I strongly believe for a good player that iron tech might not be as important as drivers - what you want is a fairly repeatable result with fairly accurate distances. I am a low handicap player and believe I played my best golf with older Hogan Edge and especially Tommy Armour clubs + some Titleist models. Difference with practice and proper fitting not huge any major manufacturer these days all high quality and shaft most important variable my opinion. Consider PXG till end of month giving 0211 to all at 89 a club and I got fit and love them (I am a Veteran so always get discount). Strong clubs, very long and tight dispersion with good feel. Fitting is the variable and they do 2 hour on range for $50. Good luck.

Agreed on hitting first and getting fit. I should have mentioned that in my post above. Fitting might be more important in OL than VL for gapping and what not.

Agreed on hitting first and getting fit. I should have mentioned that in my post above. Fitting might be more important in OL than VL for gapping and what not.
Truth!

One of the big hangups for me, is that I have no desire to hit my 8, 9, or PW at 7i length. To add, I'm not fond of the 7i to begin with. I have no idea why I have so much inconsistency with that particular club, but I actually hit my 5 and 6 irons better than my 7. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
One of the bug hangups for me, is that I have no desire to hit my 8, 9, or PW at 7i length. To add, I'm not fond of the 7i to begin with. I have no idea why I have so much inconsistency with that particular club, but I actually hit my 5 and 6 irons better than my 7. 🤷‍♂️
Then you are obviously not a candidate for one length. ;)

being 6'2 and always needed a fitting to actually know where im at, one length irons may be something i need to look into.
would i try them? yes and they would probably work to my advantage.
the issue becomes for me is how do i try them without buying them and that goes for anything in the golf industry, i gotta shot from the hip and just pony up if i want to try them and spend the money..

I’d recommend finding a used set of the F7s to see if you like the one length experience. That’s what I’m using. I’d like to upgrade (as I understand they made some real strides in the later generations), but I’m sold on the one length concept.

Living rural and being a lefty it’s really tough to try out clubs so I bought a set sight-unseen online at an end of season sale. ( last years F9 OL ). While the season is over where I am, I’ve been practicing at home and I’ve been impressed- the clubs I thought may trouble me ( being longer than my VL ones ) were the 9i, PW and GW but I’ve had no issues at all. Really looking forward to next season.

For those that want to try OL, Its been hinted at here a few times but Cobra will be the first to tell you they've made some significant engineering strides in the recent iterations of these models. So I'd be a little cautious of trying an F7 OL and assuming its truly reflective of the result you'd get out of the new models.

I'm sold on the concept and to the gimmick believers out there this isn't new. Bryson saw Bobby Jones' irons at Augusta and realized they were all OL and it helped fuel his jump. Also the world isn't flat, news flash :ROFLMAO:. That being said I don't think its for everyone, but definitely for some.

For those that want to try OL, Its been hinted at here a few times but Cobra will be the first to tell you they've made some significant engineering strides in the recent iterations of these models. So I'd be a little cautious of trying an F7 OL and assuming its truly reflective of the result you'd get out of the new models.

I'm sold on the concept and to the gimmick believers out there this isn't new. Bryson saw Bobby Jones' irons at Augusta and realized they were all OL and it helped fuel his jump. Also the world isn't flat, news flash :ROFLMAO:. That being said I don't think its for everyone, but definitely for some.
I would think that the latest models would incorporate any changes that the company agreed should be made for improvement. I lean toward the latest iteration simply for that reason. I know the cost would be much more, yet I have a little time so I will be shopping for the deal :cool:

Almost no time. Talking with OU at the Morgan Cup he had a similar experience. If you can hit a 7i you can hit them all, It was more of a mental adjustment to trust the club and not swing harder for a 4i etc. And a few rounds to trust and learn your new gaping.

Your OL irons were great for laying up to my number in Alt Shot :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I play league play and one of the guys I play with plays Cobra one length irons, not the latest versions, but probably a couple years old. He is a lefty and has a solid iron game. We have played together numerous times throughout this year and the last time we played he made an interesting comment while we were playing. He realizes I have a half way decent iron game for a golfer that has only golfed a little over a year and a half (getting close to 2 now).

During the times we have played together he has noticed how I hit my 6 and especially my 5 iron. His comment during the last round was something along the lines of, it is obvious you need one length irons. Look at how consistent you strike the clubs that are at a certain length. They fit you, you are comfortable, and look at your consistency with them each time you play. Have you taken time to notice that about your iron game?

The answer is no, yet being somewhat analytical this has gotten me to thinking if there is anything to that at all, or maybe just coincidental the few times we have played. The thing is I have had others notice how I hit the 5 and 6 iron. I realize I have had to train myself to hit the various length clubs I use (standard length Callaway Mav Max set), but I have never had anyone that seemed keen about something like this before.

I have never been overly excited about the standard golf clubs being different lengths and wondered why they were that way because you have to adjust your body, ball position, and distance to ball, swing, etc., to get the strike needed. That never made a lot of sense to me. To notice that every time I pick up certain clubs my consistency will be decent is something I think is worth noting.

I like the one length idea, but not enthused about jumping on that ship and spending more money. I also wonder why the fitters don't try folks with one length clubs as part of their fitting experience. The guy on my league is the only guy in my area that plays one length that I am aware of.

I would try one length to see if there is anything to his view, yet for now I think I will pay closer attention to my stats with my 6 and 5 iron before attempting anything else though. This is more of a general post just to see what you golfers think about this.

I think some other comments in here have covered it, but I think it wouldn't be harmful for you to try it as you're 2 years into the game. I think it if helps you improve and makes the game more enjoyable there is something to be said for that.

If you're worried about cost there are previous iterations that can be had for a pretty affordable prices

If you're worried about cost there are previous iterations that can be had for a pretty affordable prices

I have a set of F7's 4-gw, F8's 5-gw, and F9's that I'm finally getting along with. For now I would part with the two other sets, though if I keep one I think I would rather keep the F7's. If anyone really wants to jump in and try some they wouldn't be expensive.

Edit to add: they are regular flex std steel shafts

all this talk about OL - why you didn't make the jump when you got picked for Hackers?
I came very close. I had concerns about short irons being longer, especially wedges. But, hindsight being 20-20, I should have and I have a little regret for not having done that. @Jmk202 tried to tell me!

I think some other comments in here have covered it, but I think it wouldn't be harmful for you to try it as you're 2 years into the game. I think it if helps you improve and makes the game more enjoyable there is something to be said for that.

I emailed an area fitter yesterday and he said he had 3 or 4 Cobra F9's OLs and for me to come by and try them out whenever I wanted. I got too much going on right now, but soon I will probably go check them out.

I came very close. I had concerns about short irons being longer, especially wedges. But, hindsight being 20-20, I should have and I have a little regret for not having done that. @Jmk202 tried to tell me!

Will be following closely if you make the jump

I emailed an area fitter yesterday and he said he had 3 or 4 Cobra F9's OLs and for me to come by and try them out whenever I wanted. I got too much going on right now, but soon I will probably go check them out.

Nice, curious to read your thoughts when you get to try them

One length is an experiment I'll try some time. As someone who's a bit more mechanical - I don't think I'm particularly a feel player in any part of my game - the idea kind of makes sense to me.

One length is an experiment I'll try some time. As someone who's a bit more mechanical - I don't think I'm particularly a feel player in any part of my game - the idea kind of makes sense to me.

Hurry up and do it so I can play out of your bag for a season

the less I play and practice, the more I think about it.

the less I play and practice, the more I think about it.

I've been playing more and still keep thinking about it in the back of my mind. I've been working with my instructor on wedge play and it turns out just figuring out my numbers for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swings and doing the whole "wedge matrix" thing works, rather than going by feel. That has me thinking about that on a larger scale - why not just work on one swing?

I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand.

Back