NEWS Ping Signs Bubba Watson to Lifetime Contract

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

Seems like an interesting move on a golfer, what if his game never get's back to the best level it's ever been, what if, as he ages, he chooses to not play the champions tour.

Good move for Ping, even with recent results. Bubba will still draw attention just like Rickie does without a great pedigree to back it up.

curious if Bubba still draws golfers...

Not sure I understand it.

i don't get it. bubba seems like the winner here. not sure how ping gets much (if any) value out of this.

I beleive that Bubba pays dividend at Corporate Event and also to non-golfers.

Imagine you no little about golf & Bubba cracks a banana bomb driver down the middle(ish)
Wouldn't you as non-golfer be a bit wow'd? At least on the 1st one?

I think Bubba is probably way better no on camera and people like him more in those kind of settings.

On TV, he can be a bit much at times.

So you're saying Bubba Watson is to golf and Ping as Bobby Bonilla is to baseball and the Mets?
Ill admit, I laughed out loud.

Seems like a great result for Bubba. He’s played Ping ever since I remember. I would imagine there a few players out there that would rip companies arms off if they offered this sort of deal.

For some reason I love this. I know Bubba can be whiny and off-putting to many but I love watching him play. I think down the road he'll be a good representation for Ping if he plays the Champions Tour. In the meantime he'll have flashes of good and entertaining play that can grab some attention.

For some reason I love this. I know Bubba can be whiny and off-putting to many but I love watching him play. I think down the road he'll be a good representation for Ping if he plays the Champions Tour. In the meantime he'll have flashes of good and entertaining play that can grab some attention.

i agree, and was going to say pretty much the same thing.

Reactions: KEV
My guess is that it makes sense from marketing perspective. Bubba's name alone has been associated to Ping for so long and built such an identity that they are guaranteeing it won't switch to another vendor and dilute that association. Even if he doesn't compete for the top spot as much as he used to, he's still a crowd favorite ( when there were crowds ) and still is a very recognizable name even with non-golfers.

Does Bubba move clubs at all? Most of us amateur golfers are dying to stop hitting that huge slice he plays.

It is interesting to say the least. Depending on the details of the contract is either brilliant or a mistake.. Time will tell!

Really interesting move. Good for him.

Who knows how much money was really involved in it. Bubba has always been a Ping guy and this will keep him around the family for a long time. I am sure it can’t hurt them and I don’t believe Ping is hurting for money.

Really interesting move for both Ping and Bubba. I can understand the desire to sign this long-term contract from both sides... see if it pays off!

Bubba is a rare one, I like him

My guess is that it makes sense from marketing perspective. Bubba's name alone has been associated to Ping for so long and built such an identity that they are guaranteeing it won't switch to another vendor and dilute that association. Even if he doesn't compete for the top spot as much as he used to, he's still a crowd favorite ( when there were crowds ) and still is a very recognizable name even with non-golfers.
I once had a girl I work with tell me she had a pink driver just like bubba plays.

He is one of those golfers that has name recognition with non golfers.

As long and Bubba and Ping are happy that is all that really matters.

Back