Garage golf Simulator setups

roobs88

Reaction score
Morning all!

Given that we're into Autumn now here in the UK and it looks like it will feel like a long Autumn/Winter what with everything going on globally, I am thinking about investing in converting my single garage to a home golf simulator setup.

I've read a bit about SkyTrak vs Mivo+ vs Optishot so far - does anyone use any of these (or others) or have suggestions of what is required for a decent home setup to get through the colder months and come out the other end a better player?

Thanks all

Roobs

Good Quality Mat.
Net or Screen.

I personally would steer you towards Skytrack or GC2 if you want a home setup. Optishot is meh, and Mevo has some issues. Skytrak and GC2 both are solid and have the ability to connect to some good simulator software.

As a current Skytrak user and former Optishot2 owner I would recommend that you stay away from Optishot for serious practice.

I used my Optishot2 heavily for over two years because it was all I wanted to afford when I built my sim room. It is really good for keeping you swinging and it does give you descent feed back on swing direction and swing speed. Distance accuracy is totally dependent on what you feed into it and it has no way of judging topped balls or heavy hits. As an example a topped ball allows for a faster recorded swing speed and therefore shows that you pured the shot, when you really hit a ground ball! Ball flight is simply based on swing path and club face orientation. Overall accuracy is VERY sketchy. However, due to spending a couple winters hitting thousands of balls when I otherwise would not have been able to, it definitely helped my ball striking consistency allowing me to make much more solid contact. Simulation is limited to about 40 Optishot courses. It was very fun but I would have to consider it to be a game more than a launch monitor.

The Skytrak gives feedback based on the actual ball speed, spin, launch angle, and direction. This in turn gives you much more accurate data, you can see the results that swing changes create. The other great thing about Skytrak is the interaction with simulation software (I have TGC 2019), it is almost unlimited.

Pics SIM and SIM2 are my current setup, which is really almost exactly what I had for my Optishot (3rd pic). That was one nice thing about the way I built my sim room, upgrading was pretty much plug and play, pulled out the Optishot hitting pad, replaced with a CCE turf, and plugged in the Skytrak and installed software. It was very easy to convert.

Good luck.

Attachments

• sim.jpg
    sim.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 75
  • sim2.jpg
    sim2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 75
  • golf.jpg
    golf.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 70
I have been thinking about this too. Been researching for almost a year now and the thing is the cost if you go with screen and everything can get quite high for the average joe like me. Decisions, decisions...

This past February I got a SkyTrak unit, Country Club Elite mat (from Costco), and Rukket net. Everything I needed for a basic setup. I need to upgrade the old laptop and hopefully get a screen, but this was a great start. For the price point I would highly recommend SkyTrak. I’m not just blindly pounding balls into the net. Outside of the spin (not really sure, never measured spin before) I’m very confident in the numbers I was seeing. And I got The Golf Club software so I can play sim rounds, which was worth every penny!
1601298094614.jpeg

This past February I got a SkyTrak unit, Country Club Elite mat (from Costco), and Rukket net. Everything I needed for a basic setup. I need to upgrade the old laptop and hopefully get a screen, but this was a great start. For the price point I would highly recommend SkyTrak. I’m not just blindly pounding balls into the net. Outside of the spin (not really sure, never measured spin before) I’m very confident in the numbers I was seeing. And I got The Golf Club software so I can play sim rounds, which was worth every penny!
View attachment 8965792
Does that net hang from the rafters or does it stay up by itself?

Does that net hang from the rafters or does it stay up by itself?
Stays up by itself. Also comes with stakes for outdoor use, but I haven’t had any issues with the frame just sitting on the garage floor. Setup is less than 5 minutes.

View attachment 8965792
I have a similar setup to this. When I'm done I just pull the net down and bring my vehicles back in. My problem is that even with 10 foot ceilings I could hit the ceiling with my driver on the follow through. I'm not sure what to do other than tee off with 3 wood every time.

I have a similar setup to this. When I'm done I just pull the net down and bring my vehicles back in. My problem is that even with 10 foot ceilings I could hit the ceiling with my driver on the follow through. I'm not sure what to do other than tee off with 3 wood every time.
I have the exact same problem. And with a new driver incoming there’s no way I’m swinging it in the garage 🙁

View attachment 8965792
I could see a stray ball doing some damage in there. I definitely hit the stray once in a while and have damaged my garage doors. I put netting all around now to prevent that. I have an older large screen TV 65 inch in the garage and was thinking about using that instead of putting up a screen.

I could see a stray ball doing some damage in there. I definitely hit the stray once in a while and have damaged my garage doors. I put netting all around now to prevent that. I have an older large screen TV 65 inch in the garage and was thinking about using that instead of putting up a screen.
I did put one through the net, which was frustrating. Now I have a nylon baffle, which works great. Haven’t had any sh*nks miss the net although I do have a second net to set up if I need to. The screen or TV is my next consideration. A TV on the side would be super easy, but I also love the idea of hitting into a screen. Unfortunately I probably need to budget for a new laptop before upgrading anything else.

Does anyone know how much you have to shell out for the software needed to run GC2 unit? My assumption is that you have to have the FX software and that would initially set you back another 3k in addition to the unit. If this is correct Skytrak seems like the best bet unless money / priorities guide you towards the gold standard.

I've got Skytrak with a good mat, and hit into a screen. Has helped me a lot.

Does anyone know how much you have to shell out for the software needed to run GC2 unit? My assumption is that you have to have the FX software and that would initially set you back another 3k in addition to the unit. If this is correct Skytrak seems like the best bet unless money / priorities guide you towards the gold standard.
I have a gc2, had jnpg, now gcpro. Don't need to buy software from them. Gcpro is in beta, but will be competitive priced with a yearly fee.
A used gc2 is the best buy for your buck, but to find one is another matter.

Last edited:
I would say;
1. good mat, fiberbuilt or build your own divot mat. Hitting indoors is hard on the elbows, wrists, so don't skimp on this step
2. GC2, or skytrak
3. Premium screen. Lasts longer, at least 3x quieter than cheaper ones, and has less light bleed through (can go with a net or cheaper one to start).
also if use net, you can put a tv to the side, and don't need the projector, or screen to start, and can always add that after.
4. Computer that is above minimum specs for whatever sim program you run. I've used an underpowered one before. It sucks trust me.

Wow. Looking at the price of GC2 units and associated costs that's definitely out of budget for me atm!

The SkyTrak devices look to be better value, (hundreds rather than thousands) but they seem to be horrendously difficult to get hold of! Does anyone have a decent place I can try to find one? (I'm going to put a post in the buy/sell on this THP!)

Would be interested in finding out who has found a setup that is easy to put up and down. I've got a high garage so some sort of pulley system could work in my garage. That being said, I subscribe to the thought of without a proper launch monitor, just hitting a ball into a net could be breeding ground for bad habits.

Would be interested in finding out who has found a setup that is easy to put up and down. I've got a high garage so some sort of pulley system could work in my garage. That being said, I subscribe to the thought of without a proper launch monitor, just hitting a ball into a net could be breeding ground for bad habits.
I concur. A while ago I didn’t have a lot of time to get out golfing so I set up my net and hitting mat in the garage. Even though I felt like I was hitting it well, the first time I went to a driving range I found I had developed a slight fade. Worst part about it, is that it takes twice as much effort to get back from where you began. Just my opinion.

Did I see on Instagram that THP is doing a testing to compare Foresight and Skytrak?

Did I see on Instagram that THP is doing a testing to compare Foresight and Skytrak?
We do have both units and will be as a test run. We have reviewed SkyTrak previously and found it fairly accurate. Not to the extent of the GCQuad, but a fun application indoors for sure

We do have both units and will be as a test run. We have reviewed SkyTrak previously and found it fairly accurate. Not to the extent of the GCQuad, but a fun application indoors for sure
I'm looking forward to this one a lot. SkyTrak has been on my hard ponder list for awhile.

I'm looking forward to this one a lot. SkyTrak has been on my hard ponder list for awhile.
Same here. Curious about the new Tiger woods sim, but don't think I will spend that much.

Same here. Curious about the new Tiger woods sim, but don't think I will spend that much.
Oh? I haven't heard about that one... I'll have to do some reading!

Attachments

• 4B44801D-52DE-4C45-AE30-A14ABF036A70.png
    4B44801D-52DE-4C45-AE30-A14ABF036A70.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 37
I converted my single 3rd car to a sim room. I originally had a net with a lap top but this is soooo much better. I use SkyTrak for now but and going to change to either the Full Swing Kit or Uneekor Eye XO this summer. I want club data and these are the cheapest options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
59fe8345e99c8c2461d024834573c43f.jpg

Back