One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

On the long irons how are your peak heights and decent angles looking? This has always been something that scares people about OL. Long iron flights getting too flat.
My next update will have quite a bit about launch and flight, but to give some here, zero concerns for me.

And I had them in the early versions. Plenty of height, even for a steeper swinger.

Global Golf has their U try it program. $25 per club or $50 for a set of irons. 14 day trial Period. If you don’t like it they provide a return shipping label. If you decide to keep it they charge your card for the retail price.

I’ve done it several times. Cheap way to test before committing to something

That's really good info JB. I wish a person could demo a One Length set for a couple of weeks to give them a try. It's tough spend the money to commit to something like this when you just don't know how it will work out. I think there's probably a lot of people like me that think it would work great 5-8 iron but 9 and down is where I struggle mentally.
Global Golf has their U try it program. $25 per club or $50 for a set of irons. 14 day trial Period. If you don’t like it they provide a return shipping label. If you decide to keep it they charge your card for the retail price.

I didn't realize they did that, awesome information to know. I may have to give it a try in the spring. Heck I'm almost tempted to test it on the Skytrak and simulator over the winter for something to do.

I didn't realize they did that, awesome information to know. I may have to give it a try in the spring. Heck I'm almost tempted to test it on the Skytrak and simulator over the winter for something to do.

Pretty seamless process. Buy like you would a normal purchase off their site.
club(s) arrive in 3-5 days usually. They begin the 14 day Clock once delivered. They send a reminder email 7 days in and usually another email with 1 day to go.
What I like about is they usually have a decent selection that sometimes shops don’t have to demo. Rarer clubs Like 9 woods, higher lofted hybrids, etc.

The only drawback is they only have stock shaft offerings but I get that as they are just pulling stock out of their current inventory.

I used to buy clubs full retail. Test them. Sell them and take a big hit. This has saved me a bunch of money. I view the $25 as a rental fee lol

Reactions: KEV
Last update was focusing on the scoring clubs and I mentioned doing a similar test with the 5 and 6 irons. This is one area of the One Length that I think struggled overall in generations a few years old in terms of creating proper gapping and separating. Earlier in the thread I posted my gaps and it appears as though Cobra has really handled this well. We have tested this with a fairly large group of testers from a senior golfer through some pretty high speeds and have had little concerns, but since it is my personal set, I wanted to give them a bit of a thorough test. 18 balls of each with the average taken and nothing thrown out.

I had a couple of pretty bad strikes in the grouping as a whole, but figured they would work there way out in the averages.

5 iron: 188.24
6 iron: 173.91

The averages are similar to what I posted earlier in the thread with my gapping, but the 5 iron gave me a bit more and a larger gap than what I am looking for. With that said, the 6 iron had 2 balls that came up short on some not great swings.

The only issue with the 5 iron is a me issue. Its a mental issue that because it is so freaking easy to hit, I am swinging harder at it. When @JDax was in the Tech Studio last he said the same thing. The tendency is to swing almost as if you are teeing off, because mentally it is as if you can't miss with it despite being lower loft. Not sure if that visual makes sense, but it has rung true throughout and something I need to work on. Ironically enough, when playing a round of sim golf and using it on an approach, nothing like that happens. Use it off the tee or on the range, my mind tells me to swing harder. Work in progress for sure.

Spin numbers for me are as follows.

5 iron: 4371
6 iron: 5264

Both of those numbers are higher than I expected and higher than they were with the SpeedZone. They are also about 500 rpms higher than @JDax got when he was testing. I am a higher spin player however due to be fairly steep.

What kind of distances are these? A little bit further than I hit my previous set. 3-5 yards on average. What is interesting is it appears to be less about loft getting that average and more about my misses around the face causing less distance loss. I am launching them higher with similar spin to both Forged TEC and XXIO X. Launching them similarly with more spin to the Launcher HB Turbo from Cleveland that I enjoyed in my hybrid spots.

So now I have tested the extremes from the length side of things and seen gapping to what I am a looking for both in the scoring and long irons. Next update I will be discussing a little more in depth about length and weight and why my set is built for me this way.
Bump per request

This came up as we were walking a bit and I was talking with @Jmk202. For those with OL irons, would you continue to use them or consider going back to VL irons? I suppose you could theoretically take any iron set and make them OL, but if I understand from @Master Yagley podcast and some feedback from the MC crew, there's different weightings necessary to make the irons balanced and perform properly across the set.

For most of us, I would think that would preclude picking up any set of heads and creating OL irons from them, but curious what people's thoughts are that used them?

This came up as we were walking a bit and I was talking with @Jmk202. For those with OL irons, would you continue to use them or consider going back to VL irons? I suppose you could theoretically take any iron set and make them OL, but if I understand from @Master Yagley podcast and some feedback from the MC crew, there's different weightings necessary to make the irons balanced and perform properly across the set.

For most of us, I would think that would preclude picking up any set of heads and creating OL irons from them, but curious what people's thoughts are that used them?
Yeah OL heads are different as they are optimized to generate the proper launch conditions with a OL shaft. They Keep the swing weight consistent but play with Loft/lie/ CoG etc.

Yeah I wish more OEM made good OL offerings so their would be more variety to play around with, but like I was saying yesterday I'm hesitant to go back cuz it's worked so well for me.

There is a video on our channel with Mike showing an iron cut in half and explaining the difference.
Just chopping a set down to the same length will lead to some pretty bad gapping issues.

As of right now, I have no plans to go back to VL. I need to work on my swing as it is and if I went back to VL I would likely only go to maybe the 5 or 6 iron before filling in with hybrids and whatnot. If the Radspeed are better with launch on the 6 and 5 iron I should be good to go with a few swing tweaks. Overall I've played better golf with OL and I plan to stick with it.

Bump per request
Wondering if you've done any of your OL testing using impact tape? If so, any differences in strike consistency in OL vs VL? How about between 8i and 5i OL? Are you finding the center of the face more often?

Wondering if you've done any of your OL testing using impact tape? If so, any differences in strike consistency in OL vs VL? How about between 8i and 5i OL? Are you finding the center of the face more often?
Good question and yes and no. I did during my fitting, but have not since building my set but probably will soon.

Impact was similar on short irons and better on long irons. What is interesting is that based on efficiency I am not losing anything across the board, but actually gaining overall.

My next update will have quite a bit about launch and flight, but to give some here, zero concerns for me.

And I had them in the early versions. Plenty of height, even for a steeper swinger.

@JDax will be in OL. I’m confident after watching him test irons.

I agree... This is bold after he saw what I did with the JPX 921 Hot Metal Pros...
When the full sets of the finalists come out, the dispersion of OL will win out.

I will never consider going back to VL.

Even if I somehow became such an exceptional iron striker that I thought I could play VL equally as well, why? That would just create so much more work and effort for my game. No matter what skill level, there are benefits for OL. For single digits, where cap improvement is much more difficult, OL opens up more practice time for everything else.

Nope....I have no plans to go back.

I do have a question that I have wondered.....with the steel shafts, they have different weights as you progress through the set. The graphite shafts however, do not? Any rhyme or reason as to why? I would think that everyone would (or should) be looking to go with graphite shafts when using OL due to consistent weighting....🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I would need more OL options first.. something with more of a players profile. That may come across arrogant. I hope it doesn’t. Honestly I hope that means it is catching on and more option become available as that where the demand is.

@JB - without disclosing anything you can't disclose, is there talk of any other OEMs jumping on the OL train any time in the near future?

@JB - without disclosing anything you can't disclose, is there talk of any other OEMs jumping on the OL train any time in the near future?

with Bryson being the only pro currently playing OL, I doubt any other OEM would venture down that route.

Rooting for @JDax to embrace the revolution in 2021

with Bryson being the only pro currently playing OL, I doubt any other OEM would venture down that route.
I figured maybe another OEM might see the growing popularity and want a piece of that market. They seem to be expanding beyond being a niche product.

I would need more OL options first.. something with more of a players profile. That may come across arrogant. I hope it doesn’t. Honestly I hope that means it is catching on and more option become available as that where the demand is.
What’s wrong with the profile of the Forged TEC?

Back