How to create basic Green Mapping book??

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
I play a course with huge multi-level greens. Most greens are elevated and they will have grass and sand bunkers/indentations around them in different spots. This year they went from an 8 area pin layout to 6. For the last 3 weeks during winter, they have not moved the PIN. what this taught me is that one can score only from very specific angles. yesterday greens were partially frozen so anything less then perfect angle of approach, luck and perfect execution was a no go. I was laying 2 on #5 just off the edge in a grass bunker and had a triple bogie. My execution was decent:(

So I am now wanting to map the greens vs. the 6 pin layout as the clubhouse told that no greens books exist. with winter having virtually no one on the course, I'm thinking about just walking it one cold day.

How can I capture the basic data relatively quickly and with enough information to help me? Ideally I could build on it in 2021 as I play and see specific putts.

I don't really think that it's a one person job, as you would need at minimum a surveyor's transit and a rule to go with it. One person runs the transit, the other the rule.

However, with today's technology you might be able to do it single handedly, as a quick search for transits turned up some optical/laser levels where you set up a tripod, level it and activate the laser. You take the remote levelling rod, and walk around to points where you want to measure. When the rod's length lines up with the laser, you get an audible response from the laser. Obviously you're going to have to determine a length as a baseline (probably the highest point on the green) and then use the rod plus a tape measure to get the difference to the lower spots. Realistically it's a two person project.

In order to useful to reference, you're also going to have to establish some type of grid (1 foot x 1 foot for example) on the green on which to take your readings.

If you just want a basic map, get yourself a open reel tape measure, sketch out the green outline and then take some basic measurements of the depth, width, etc. Once you've got the outline roughed out (graph paper is helpful) sketch out the ridges, note the slope up/down with arrows. Again, laying out a tape reel and using graph paper allows you to get some reasonable accuracy. Or, you could just pace it off. It all depends on how accurate you wish to be.

It's an interesting endeavour, I've often thought of making a yardage book for my home course but never committed the time.

A basic one you can do. I use the slope and elevation data from google earth to give a general indication of slide and how much of it. Google earth basically measures it in feet, but that is generally good to see theirs and direction.

I also use Google earth images and Inkscape to capture images of a hole and trace the fairway and green complexes.

it takes a LOT of time and dedication; I’ve been working on a few for months

What course is it? Golf Logix app does this for you and might have your course done.

Another option is LIDAR data. You could look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Golf logix for my home course.
Tad pricey but works and way more convenient than trying to do it yourself

I have a book I made with drawing of each green of my usual course. When I hit a putt and it goes in a different direction than I thought it would I draw the ball's line from ball to hole so the next time I have that putt I'll hit what the book says, not what I think I see. It's low-tech, but it works pretty well for me.

What course is it? Golf Logix app does this for you and might have your course done.

Another option is LIDAR data. You could look into that.

Kearny golf links- Lexington KY I was told by a guy in the pro shop that no mapping existed.

Kearny golf links- Lexington KY I was told by a guy in the pro shop that no mapping existed.

Expensive at 40, but GolfLogix looks like it may have it

Kearney Hill Links Kearney Hill Links
3403 Kearney Rd Lexington, Kentucky - 40511-9083

Expensive at 40, but GolfLogix looks like it may have it

Kearney Hill Links Kearney Hill Links
3403 Kearney Rd Lexington, Kentucky - 40511-9083

wow, so much for the pro shop. I even went as far as to google green book for Kearny and got nothing.

Our club has 36 holes and I just picked up the Golf Logix books for each. They had a special of $28 each rather than $40. Our greens have a lot of slope and subtle slope and think these will be a great help.

Our club has 36 holes and I just picked up the Golf Logix books for each. They had a special of $28 each rather than $40. Our greens have a lot of slope and subtle slope and think these will be a great help.

kearny lets you spray it any which way off the tee but if not placed properly on the green a 3 putt becomes more the rule then the exception. How are these books bound? I see a leather cover they are trying to sell.

kearny lets you spray it any which way off the tee but if not placed properly on the green a 3 putt becomes more the rule then the exception. How are these books bound? I see a leather cover they are trying to sell.

They are printed on thicker stock, and covered with a plastic flexible cover. I’d recommend getting a cover for it. You can find many like on Budget Golf (there’s a THP coupon for 15% off many of their items)

has anyone tried the application? seems to be a GPS, greens book and more in one

Ive used Golf Logix for a few seconds, then realized it really wasn’t improving my putting, etc.

Yes it is mapped by Golf Logix. This is the first hole
267f1906e3aaa55754dee60354423a5b.jpg

Yes it is mapped by Golf Logix. This is the first hole
267f1906e3aaa55754dee60354423a5b.jpg

That is so much info I don’t even know what I’m looking at

That is so much info I don’t even know what I’m looking at

so the good news is you are on in regulation in the front left; now you just need to putt to the back right. That would abe about a 100ft putt on most of these greens. I can generally see one break but not the second or third;)

Ive used Golf Logix for a few seconds, then realized it really wasn’t improving my putting, etc.

Their new'ish books are amazing and very simple. Way easier to use than their putting app.

physical books or app guys? I want to order and you guys are killing me:)

i found a review. suggests the book might be best if one plays the same course often; which is me.

it looks like you have the mobile app? Do you have access to all courses through it?

Yes

physical books or app guys? I want to order and you guys are killing me:)

On the app you can place where your ball is and where the hole is. It will then tell you exactly where to putt. Like 3 inches left and 14 inches short

Back