First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

They would not. As mentioned in the article, there’s a prime emphasis on feel.

And none of those other hollow body irons have Urethane Microspheres (y)

pxg is using microsphere but they are a super small percentage.

I think DCB will be a super attractive option for many. I'll be curious to see what the guys think of them next week when they get some swings in. Also wasn't expecting the Pros to be a HB design. They def boast a different makeup from the previous gen pros.

from what I understand, this release is directly related to the success of the b21 line. People wanted forgiveness with premium feel.

Mentioned in the article on the standard combo that they’re doing the same as last go round with the pro’s having unique tooling in the combos to make them flow seamlessly. (y)
Saw that about the tooling just wasn’t sure what else they had planned there. That is so good.

Finishes look to be the same throughout this year, too!

Other than the obnoxious tungsten stamped on the pros they nailed the look of those. I’d remove the paintfill to make it more subtle but wow they have my attention.

I need to get my hand on them to demo them. I’ve been curious if I could make a hollow body work since getting the XForged UT. That spins much better than the CF16 for me and have wondered what a full set of irons would be like.

If these are a touch longer and more forgiving than the XForged but dont give up consistency, spin or control the pros will likely be in the bag this coming season.

I'm merely speculating, but I just have to believe they wouldn't put the Apex Pro label on something that didn't feel like a one piece forging. They wouldn't do that to me, I mean us, right?

I think so. Callaway I think really being the last to the hollow body party needs to more than anyone get it right. I think they will..

will be an interesting comparison between these and the P770..

I really liked how the p770s looked. The performance was decent, the feel terrible..

Great write up @Jman! These look incredible. If I wouldn't have to heat our house for the last 4 days with the stove:banghead: ( New furnace today)
I'd be jumping on these for sure. Maybe if Callaway has a 150% trade-in like they have done in the past.

I think so. Callaway I think really being the last to the hollow body party needs to more than anyone get it right. I think they will..

will be an interesting comparison between these and the P770..

I really liked how the p770s looked. The performance was decent, the feel terrible..

Last in a sense in this profile. Certainly not last. Big Bertha was hollow body for years.

it seems to me the better player almost always goes gaga for clean lines, sleek looks, and minimalism.
Some of us regular schmucks, too.

Ah gotcha... Didn't click on the specs. That would be super weird to have two 9 irons.

someone else mentioned maybe they're showing different options for what to do in the 9-iron slot. ultimately i think you're correct that it's not two 9-irons. at least, i hope it's not two 9-irons. otherwise the triple play combo is 9 clubs, leaving only 5 spots left in the bag. that would make for quite an odd bag setup haha

I haven’t seen the Pro in person, but by the sounds of it it’s much smaller than the P790.
The Apex 19 is smaller then the 790. My son has 790s and I have A19s and mine definitely look smaller. I would imagine the new Pro would be closer to the 770.

Last in a sense in this profile. Certainly not last. Big Bertha was hollow body for years.

you are correct. I forgot about those. But yeah, the blade look hollow body that is all the rage these days. :ROFLMAO:

I want to try the DCB bad!!!

someone else mentioned maybe they're showing different options for what to do in the 9-iron slot. ultimately i think you're correct that it's not two 9-irons. at least, i hope it's not two 9-irons. otherwise the triple play combo is 9 clubs, leaving only 5 spots left in the bag. that would make for quite an odd bag setup haha

Yeah, makes sense they'd show two to pick from, in the 9i spot, pick one from the Pro or the Apex standard; may cause some slight gapping differences that need to be bent to sort out gaps... but select the profile you'd like

The DCB will be the most under evaluated set on the internet and it might be the sleeper of the entire lineup.

It wasn't lost on me. I have always liked the look of the Apex irons but my ball striking and swing speed never seemed to gel with them. So I would always gloss over new generations. The DCB now, these would be in the mix. I am curious though on their size...would you say they are similar in size to something like a T300 or Rad irons?

For those that had questions on the blend spot between the Apex and Apex Pro's in the combo set, the lofts in the Apex Pros are strengthened to better blend the distance gap. The 8i in the Pro's moves to 34.5 degrees from instead of the 37 degrees in the straight Pro set. 9 iron goes to 39 degrees from 41 degrees, etc.

It wasn't lost on me. I have always liked the look of the Apex irons but my ball striking and swing speed never seemed to gel with them. So I would always gloss over new generations. The DCB now, these would be in the mix. I am curious though on their size...would you say they are similar in size to something like a T300 or Rad irons?

I posted a comparison above with the ZX5 irons. I can do the same with the RADSPEED soon.

DCB next to RADSpeed
DCB next to MiZuno Hot Metal Pro

0F64A4A0-9744-4385-B045-2464A0FC9D35.jpeg
3E58A3AE-A570-4182-90CE-3DF809C5B164.jpeg

I posted a comparison above with the ZX5 irons. I can do the same with the RADSPEED soon.

Sounds good. I have yet to see a ZX5 in the wild so I have no reference to go off of yet with that one.
Would love to see the RAD comparison though.
Could you compare to the G425 too?

I may have to compare one of these to the new PXG 0211 for giggles, but the pro a degree or two strong might be the unicorn iron I have been searching for. Not thrilled with the shaft choices but of course until they are hit who knows, I tried the MMT 80 in stiff and hated it but who knows how it will be in this head.

Back