So you're out on the course...

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Behind a couple of 3-4somes... You have a single behind and a 3some behind him... When that 3some in the back somehow shows up on the next tee box before you, how do you feel?

Discuss.

Not cool at all if they didn't even talk with your group. I feel like they are a 💩💩

Are they looking to play through? Did they ask, or do you care? Is allowing them to play through going to cause delay to anyone else behind? How many in your group? How's the pace otherwise?

Lol - sorry so many questions!

Behind a couple of 3-4somes... You have a single behind and a 3some behind him... When that 3some in the back somehow shows up on the next tee box before you, how do you feel?

Discuss.
I'm confused. You are a single, ahead of a single, between two threesomes?

Didn't even see them pass me... They eventually let us go but not till they gave us a 5 minute weight once we got on the tee box...

I'm confused. You are a single, ahead of a single, between two threesomes?

I did join the single behind me... But he wanted to jump ahead even more :cautious:... And somehow got 2 holes ahead... I didn't care but that whole ordeal threw me off :cautious:

Didn't even see them pass me... They eventually let us go but not till they gave us a 5 minute weight once we got on the tee box...
Did they do it on purpose or miss a hole? I've definitely had that happen before where someone skipped half the course because of a funny junction between holes...

Did they do it on purpose or miss a hole? I've definitely had that happen before where someone skipped half the course because of a funny junction between holes...

I honestly have no idea but they seemed to be newer to the game than I am...

I have mixed feeling about skipping around that I'm not fully prepared to discuss at this time @chile .

In this situationI would feel confused, possibly, and I'd approach them and get the goings on sorted out so we're all on the same page. Only as big of a deal as anyone makes it in that moment. Might be nice people who are confused. Might be Satan's minions. Never know until you say 'hi, wtf is this ****?' :LOL:

I did join the single behind me... But he wanted to jump ahead even more :cautious:... And somehow got 2 holes ahead... I didn't care but that whole ordeal threw me off :cautious:
Yeah, I can see how this could be a head-scratcher. I would probably just approach the group that arrived on the tee ahead of me and calmly ask them if they were the group that had been playing the hole behind me. It would be hard to believe that a single could hold up a threesome in any way.

I meancif they skipped a hole to get to the next box it is what it is, as long ascthey play quick and get outta my way

I have mixed feeling about skipping around that I'm not fully prepared to discuss at this time @chile .

In this situationI would feel confused, possibly, and I'd approach them and get the goings on sorted out so we're all on the same page. Only as big of a deal as anyone makes it in that moment. Might be nice people who are confused. Might be Satan's minions. Never know until you say 'hi, wtf is this ****?' :LOL:

Just the highlighted portion while waiting on the tee box for them driving their carts willy nilly about 80 yds ahead of the tee box...

I only had one instance of a single passing me that totally pissed me the F off. We were on 10’s green.

It’s a par 5 and he picked up 30-40 yards shy of the green. 12 and in front was wide open for at least a couple holes. We were behind a slow foursome but as a foursome didn’t really care all that much, we were on their ass but without pressing them, on pace for 4:15-4:30. About normal.

So he proceeds to tell us he’s “playing through”. I had my kids and dad with me otherwise I’d have told to FO and skip to 12

So we finish on 10 and now we’re not only waiting on this asshole to tee off, but for the group in front of him to clear. 3 open holes in front. We can see now.

I’m grumbling 30ft away from him about his “no ask” skipping ahead and GTFO’ing our way as he’s teeing off. 10 minutes. 10 minutes extra we had to wait. I would have ripped his head off for him not being smart enough to just skip in front of the real issue, IF my kids weren’t along for the ride.

As it was I bit my tongue for 8 minutes after we should have teed off on 11 before I said anything. At that point I was ready to beat him with a 9i, 😂.

Luckily my dad was there and told me to quit being an asshole. I asked him to have the same discussion with the asshole I was waiting to clear the fairway, then I might have called him an asshole one more time before sending one.

That’s the only time I’ve ever knowingly sent one in someone’s direction, knowing unless it was a bad strike it was WELL over his head. With the extra old grumpiness I put on that I almost drove the green. Dude scattered and jumped ahead at that point. Which he should have done before.

I’ve admitted bad behavior on the course once or twice before, this would be one of those times. I was in the wrong only because of my reaction to this. I think I even yelled “fore!!” a time or two before sending one over his head. I think dad told me to stop being a Richard.

But I was 100% wrong as much as he was (this was 4 years ago, I’ve mellowed a lot after dang near dying a couple times).

No excuses, but not cool on my part nor his part. I’ll accept my parts blame even though my part would have never been in question without his part. But I’ll accept blame for my part. I’m better than that even if he was a Richard.

You need another course to play.

If it doesn't affect pace of play it wouldn't bother me. I'd rather have idiots in front of me than behind me.

I'm easy going but get pi$$ed when people are rude!

hoping they were just ignorant to what they were doing!

Discuss.
Not cool if they just skipped ahead. The whole scenario is confusing but if they did it without asking def not cool.
I don't know why courses let groups go out like that. If the course managed the groups you wouldn't have this problem.

Jumping ahead probably not a big problem unless it greatly impacts you. Most of the time when it has happened to me, it has been fine. If it caused a big delay that would not make me happy.

Depends on the day....Some days I would engage and have a discussion about etiquette. Some are just not informed. Other days I might just let it slide and a day or two I might be a tad rude. This year I believe I had more of these type situations than I have had in my previous 50 years of playing...Exaggeration, but not by much.....One time this year I was cruising along. I play solo quite a bit. I analyze the tee sheet before hand on line and show up when I know it's clear. Anyway I go out and on the 3rd hole I come up to a 5some...I figure, they know I'm here....Well as I walk off 18 and have played behind these 5 old dumb focks....I go up to them and explain about etiquette. The lead dog, and there is always a lead dog, jumps ugly in my face. I just looked at him and said, your opinion is ignorant and left.

If a group two back shows up on the tee box in front of me...something is wrong. Either I am playing way too slow as a single or they just jumped way ahead.

I am having a conversation with them obviously to see what the issue is...but in the end not causing a stink about it as it's just me and my 14 clubs against 52 clubs and 3 dudes.

I discuss it with them and work it out.

This happened to us just last summer. We were a 4 some, and had made the turn. The 10th is a long, difficult uphill par 4. Behind us was a 2 some, husband and wife, that we had offered to allow them to play through on the front 9, even though there was really nowhere to go. There were 4 somes ahead of us. They said they were in no hurry. OK. There was a 4 some behind them.

So we're keeping play moving as best we can. We finish the 10th, drive to the 11th tee, and there's the 4 some that was 2 groups behind us! I said, loud enough for all of them to hear, "Where the hell did THESE guys come from?" The wouldn't look at us! And they didn't exactly set a blistering pace out there. They couldn't because of the groups that were already ahead of us! We were just getting ready to tee of when the husband & wife 2 some drove up and told us that they did not allow that group to play through! They just drove around both our groups!

That pissed us off! Plus, when we putted out on 18 and drove away from the green, I checked the time. The round had taken us 4 hours and 5 minutes! What the hell was their hurry!

If you're directly behind two other three/foursomes and there's nowhere for them to go, it's a total dick move and I'd have something to say to them about it. If that didn't resolve it, I'd call the pro shop and have them send a marshal out to take care of it.

I have zero problem with people playing through if there's room ahead and they're playing faster than us. I'm hyper-conscious of my position on the course and will offer to let them play through in that situation. But when we're directly behind multiple groups in front of us and there's nowhere for them to go, they're not doing any of that.

I just call the pro shop anymore. people are too dam unpredictable these days. It’s not worth it

Back