An Alarming Trend in my Area - Waiting

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Since Covid, I have seen a noticeable uptick in rounds of golf where my group is stuck behind a group who waits for the green to clear on every hole before teeing off. Just the other day, I noticed 3 different groups acting in this abominable way. That was just my line of sight.

I am confused. Are these new players, who don't fully understand? I know courses have been inundated with newbies looking for something to do outside, and I'm totally fine with that, but anyone who spends even a minute paying attention on a golf course knows the protocol on when you should tee off behind the group in front of you. Where could these guys possibly learn this?

I walked up to the tee a few weeks ago, where a group of young guys were waiting, and one of them turned to me and said "sorry, man, the guys in front of us are just leaving the green now." It was a 440 yard par 4. I'm not exactly the confrontational type on the course (I like to use the course as my zen place,) but I did respond to the kid "you guys are probably safe to hit." He laughed, and continued to wait.

I know my post has turned into a rant, so back on topic:

Is anyone else seeing this? How have you handled it?

i have been paired with people that do this...i tell them they are safe to tee off...to which they reply "nah, i don't wanna hit them..." i reply "i'll go then...." they get the hint after 1 or 2 holes...

It was business as usual up here last summer, even with the increase of new golfers. Neither of our grass courses have a marshal either so someone must be teaching them right.

I know that some folks have been hyper-sensitive to the whole physical distancing thing, but 440 yards is kind of pushing it!

i have been paired with people that do this...i tell them they are safe to tee off...to which they reply "nah, i don't wanna hit them..." i reply "i'll go then...." they get the hint after 1 or 2 holes...
I don't think I've ever been paired with anyone who does this. I know a few guys who think they hit the ball 350+ and rarely get it out there 250, but no one who waits for the green to clear - I just get stuck behind these guys.

Not at my courses in North Florida. You are more likely to be hit into. My advice is ask the Head Pro or Ranger. I mean I get it I guess but they would really need to spread out the tee times. To almost double to normal time in between.

I’ve seen some unnecessary waiting but never for the green to clear completely. Yikes.

Just the jack wad portion of the golf population that doesn’t understand ready golf. It’s more noticeable than ever since courses are full and all it takes is a group or two to slow everyone down. The biggest disservice I see is golf courses posting a pace of play over 4 hours. I’ve played with more randoms this year that feels,like they flew because the round came in right at 4 hours. I felt like I was watching paint dry.

I ran into this a couple times this last year and both times they had misunderstood the first tee instructions and applied them to every subsequent hole. Most courses here want you to tee off on #1 after they've cleared the green. It's all standard after that though. Only took a minute to sort them out.

I think the biggest thing with the influx of new golfers is the respect of the course (driving carts right up to green past the signs) the guy teaching the new guy(hitting 4 balls off the tee box) and the lack of courtesy of not letting people play thru. Playing most of my golf on a 9 hole muni it is really bad. I actually considered skipping my membership for this year but the cost is so cheap I can put up with some of the headaches. If I want I have another 18 hole local muni that doesn't get as much play that I can play at.

We've been behind a few groups who we've seen do it - it stands out because we joke about it while we're waiting, saying they're either incognito pros or wildly optimistic. The vast majority of people who play at my home course are middle aged or senior citizens, and there are very, very few who have even a remote chance of hitting a green from the tee on anything beyond a par 3.

Since Covid, I have seen a noticeable uptick in rounds of golf where my group is stuck behind a group who waits for the green to clear on every hole before teeing off. Just the other day, I noticed 3 different groups acting in this abominable way. That was just my line of sight.

I am confused. Are these new players, who don't fully understand? I know courses have been inundated with newbies looking for something to do outside, and I'm totally fine with that, but anyone who spends even a minute paying attention on a golf course knows the protocol on when you should tee off behind the group in front of you. Where could these guys possibly learn this?

I walked up to the tee a few weeks ago, where a group of young guys were waiting, and one of them turned to me and said "sorry, man, the guys in front of us are just leaving the green now." It was a 440 yard par 4. I'm not exactly the confrontational type on the course (I like to use the course as my zen place,) but I did respond to the kid "you guys are probably safe to hit." He laughed, and continued to wait.

I know my post has turned into a rant, so back on topic:

Is anyone else seeing this? How have you handled it?

Why are you asking us this question? How would we know? You should have asked them that question. And if I had done what you did and be replied to with a laugh and being ignored? I'd have climbed up one side of that idiot and down the other! And the fact that you consider your post a "rant" tells me just how mellllllowwwwww Cali is!

Why are you asking us this question? How would we know? You should have asked them that question. And if I had done what you did and be replied to with a laugh and being ignored? I'd have climbed up one side of that idiot and down the other! And the fact that you consider your post a "rant" tells me just how mellllllowwwwww Cali is!
1. Don't call it cali.
2. It is called a rhetorical question.
3. I see no reason to get truly upset over trivial things.

I had 3-5 rounds where the people told me

“We usually go to the range, but it’s closed so we thought we’d try the course”

half were brutal other half kept up with pace but I still feared for my safety and the safety of others

I’m on the side of, if you allow them to do it, you’re condoning it, and you deserve it.

Another thing.
Before I moved to N. Myrtle Beach I played a ton of golf at Bethpage Park on Long Island. It’s one of the biggest busiest golf complexes in the world. Every single golfer who plays there knows if you want to play under 4 1/2 - 5 hours, you’d better get an early tee time.
Why? Old guys play fast. Young guys play slow, and once the younger guys are out there, the course backs up.
It’s not about new golfers, it’s about younger golfers.
If you’re young or middle aged and live in an area where golf is popular, and you want to play fast, get up early or join a private club.

There's a driveable par 4 on our course that's like listed as a 400+ but as the crow flies is closer to 230 if you can carry the bunker complex at 220 with a nice draw.... so many people wait for it.

It doesn't sound like that's your issue; but it's frustrating in the extreme!

You guys want to know what a unicorn is?
It’s the guy who posts on a golf message board saying he plays slow.

It has happened occasionally at my home course and if it gets such that there is big gap between the group and the one in front of them, then that means the entire course is getting backed up. The clubhouse usually monitors the entire course based on the GPS on the carts so they can see everything and no if anyone is behind.

Sometimes though, a quick call to the clubhouse and if they see a gap they will send multiple messages direct to their carts telling them nicely to pick up the pace. I have seen on occasion if that doesn’t work, someone from the clubhouse jump in a cart and make an in-person visit...that always works.

What really drives me crazy is when you have four golfers and two carts and both carts go to one ball first and then watch that guy hit and then drive to the second ball and watch that Golfer hit and so on .....it just slows everything down.

So one of my main partners hits the ball 275 consistently and can crank it out to 300+. Unless we have no one behind us and are playing with just us or friends I ask him to just hit an iron on drivable 4s.

I got to think this is just an education thing for a new player.

I’m on the side of, if you allow them to do it, you’re condoning it, and you deserve it.

Another thing.
Before I moved to N. Myrtle Beach I played a ton of golf at Bethpage Park on Long Island. It’s one of the biggest busiest golf complexes in the world. Every single golfer who plays there knows if you want to play under 4 1/2 - 5 hours, you’d better get an early tee time.
Why? Old guys play fast. Young guys play slow, and once the younger guys are out there, the course backs up.
It’s not about new golfers, it’s about younger golfers.
If you’re young or middle aged and live in an area where golf is popular, and you want to play fast, get up early or join a private club.
Thanks for the sound advice....:rolleyes:

You sound like an angry, albeit fast, player. I will do my best to get off your lawn.

Last edited:
It was business as usual up here last summer, even with the increase of new golfers. Neither of our grass courses have a marshal either so someone must be teaching them right.

I know that some folks have been hyper-sensitive to the whole physical distancing thing, but 440 yards is kind of pushing it!

You obviously have never played with someone that’s hit a 3i 390 yards.....

Lol!

Back