mjkladis’s 2021 Journey for Speed

Well I’ve decided that 2021 will be my year of speed! I’ve already got my Superspeed sticks and I’m going to start the Fit For Golf workout routines at home.

Currently: My swing speed with my driver is around the upper 90s (96-98mph) with the ability to push it just over triple digits.

I’ve worked with the speed sticks before and I’ve seen my swing speed jump up to 106 mph. Seeing that shows me that I have potential to get faster.

Fundamentally, I think my swing pretty good but I will still work on that as well throughout the year.

I’m excited for this journey and I’m ready to record my progress!
Let's see the before swing...adding speed may be simpler if you can rotate properly and get into the ground while keeping the hands up. i.e. maybe less weights, a little added technique, and more Beer. 😂

Let's see the before swing...adding speed may be simpler if you can rotate properly and get into the ground while keeping the hands up. i.e. maybe less weights, a little added technique, and more Beer. 😂

I’ll post a video on here soon! Promise! Can we at least replace the beer with Protein shakes?

Official written goal! I’ve got a target, now it’s time to get to work!

2021 Journey for Speed (Edited 1/4/2021)
  • Target Speed: 105mph
  • Current speed: ~94mph
  • Target date: 12/31/2021

• Gain speed in my swing either through strength, mobility, and/or technique.
  • Utilize simple fitness equipment, simple workout schedules, and coaching to make gains in all three areas.
  • Develop a habit of fitness and nutrition to help get me stronger and also lose some of my gut!

Last edited:

2021 Journey for Speed
  • Target Speed: 115mph
  • Current speed: ~98mph (confirming on Trackman 01/04/2021)

• Gain speed in my swing in either through strength, mobility, and/or technique.
  • Gain speed in my swing in either through strength, mobility, and/or technique.
  • Utilize simple fitness equipment, simple workout schedules, and coaching to make gains in all three areas.
  • Develop a habit of fitness and nutrition to help get me stronger and also lose some of my gut!
Heck of a goal.. I'm following this closely

Heck of a goal.. I'm following this closely

Yeah my target is pretty high compared to what I remember my swing speed was the last time I was on Trackman.

I’m going in this coming Monday and getting some video for @TrueMotionMatt as well as a benchmark swing speed.

I’ll track my 7-iron swing speed, driver at normal playing speed, and driver at full-bore.

JOURNEY UPDATE

All I can say is WOOF! Some goals need to change but I know I can make some good progress this year!

CURRENT SWING SPEEDS!

7i: 82mph with a high of 85mph
Driver: 94mph with a high of 96mph

Here’s a video of my average 7i shot.

View attachment trim.49B2DB69-9B03-4E08-95E9-51972CA437ED.MOV

Here’s a video of my average driver:

View attachment trim.5FE939A8-BF74-4429-ABAA-5B516546D376.MOV

I definitely see some swing flaws that crept back in from my past and my speed is down since the summer.
Can I blame COVID and not playing for several months??

Either way, there is plenty of stuff to work on in the year.
I'll also drop my speed goal down to 105mph for now since I've seen where I currently sit for swing speed.

Last edited:
Looks pretty solid...some thoughts that will put you on a speedier path to more speed... 😂You do a great job with where you are, but to gain some speed, you'd be well served to make some changes which will allow a more efficient growth of power and speed.
  • SetUP/PIVOT/BACKSWING -
    • You're on your toes and too bent over (need more rounding of your thoracic spine). simple fix
    • That causes your turn to be flat and you don't "feel" the turn so your arms run long. simple fix
    • All this leads to getting your trail arm stuck behind you. (poor structure at the top) simple fix
  • PIVOT DOWN/IMPACT/Finish
    • Because your right arm gets stuck and your turn is super flat, the only way (and you do a pretty good job of it) to make contact is to pull the handle fo the golf club down to shallow it out. THIS IS A HUGE SPEED LEAK and will take a bit of time to fix, but not too much time. 😉
    • You come in with the face open, then you have another SPEED LEAK...you throw the club down at the ball to square it up. You have to do this, or else you'd straight up push it into the woods, or worse, shank it.
    • Everything you're doing is natural...if you didn't do these things you wouldn't have consistency.
The places where you need to make changes (if you want) will end up being a more efficient way for speed improvements. Imagine working on SetUp, Backswing, etc. vs. sweating your butt off swinging a club that feels "Fast", but doing so inefficiently, unsure of what results will occur. I think you'll find a great deal more enjoyment working on the technique, then Speed if you desire more...because more speed is always more better. 👍

If you don't fix these things, then trying to pull harder on the handle or rotating harder will be a tough road to ho to get the speed increases you need. However, if you work on these fundamental changes 👆, the speed will increase naturally without any forced changes or real need to work out. Let me know what you decide.

Matt

Looks pretty solid...some thoughts that will put you on a speedier path to more speed... 😂You do a great job with where you are, but to gain some speed, you'd be well served to make some changes which will allow a more efficient growth of power and speed.
  • SetUP/PIVOT/BACKSWING -
    • You're on your toes and too bent over (need more rounding of your thoracic spine). simple fix
    • That causes your turn to be flat and you don't "feel" the turn so your arms run long. simple fix
    • All this leads to getting your trail arm stuck behind you. (poor structure at the top) simple fix
  • PIVOT DOWN/IMPACT/Finish
    • Because your right arm gets stuck and your turn is super flat, the only way (and you do a pretty good job of it) to make contact is to pull the handle fo the golf club down to shallow it out. THIS IS A HUGE SPEED LEAK and will take a bit of time to fix, but not too much time. 😉
    • You come in with the face open, then you have another SPEED LEAK...you throw the club down at the ball to square it up. You have to do this, or else you'd straight up push it into the woods, or worse, shank it.
    • Everything you're doing is natural...if you didn't do these things you wouldn't have consistency.
The places where you need to make changes (if you want) will end up being a more efficient way for speed improvements. Imagine working on SetUp, Backswing, etc. vs. sweating your butt off swinging a club that feels "Fast", but doing so inefficiently, unsure of what results will occur. I think you'll find a great deal more enjoyment working on the technique, then Speed if you desire more...because more speed is always more better. 👍

If you don't fix these things, then trying to pull harder on the handle or rotating harder will be a tough road to ho to get the speed increases you need. However, if you work on these fundamental changes 👆, the speed will increase naturally without any forced changes or real need to work out. Let me know what you decide.

Matt

Well, it looks like this journey is taking a slight change in direction!!

James Clear said (tweeted?) it best. “The sooner you make a choice, the sooner you can make an adjustment.”

My goal is to get faster and play better golf while also losing some fat and changing my current sedentary lifestyle. My decision was to start making changes, how I got there is pretty irrelevant if it helps me achieve my overall goal for 2021 and beyond.

I’ll be working with True Motion to get my setup looking better and these speed leaks out of my swing!

Well I’ve decided that 2021 will be my year of speed! I’ve already got my Superspeed sticks and I’m going to start the Fit For Golf workout routines at home.

Currently: My swing speed with my driver is around the upper 90s (96-98mph) with the ability to push it just over triple digits.

I’ve worked with the speed sticks before and I’ve seen my swing speed jump up to 106 mph. Seeing that shows me that I have potential to get faster.

Fundamentally, I think my swing pretty good but I will still work on that as well throughout the year.

Did you hit 106 with the speed sticks or with your driver. I am a mid 90s guy with the driver and have hit 100mph when on the trackman. When swinging the speedsticks I have hit 115 but I certainly don't hit that on the course. What I do find is working on swinging faster with the speedsticks helps my balance when I try to swing faster with the driver. It just gets me more comfortable swinging the driver faster and staying in balance.

Did you hit 106 with the speed sticks or with your driver. I am a mid 90s guy with the driver and have hit 100mph when on the trackman. When swinging the speedsticks I have hit 115 but I certainly don't hit that on the course. What I do find is working on swinging faster with the speedsticks helps my balance when I try to swing faster with the driver. It just gets me more comfortable swinging the driver faster and staying in balance.

After a speed stick session I was pushing 105-106 with my driver but that was early 2020.

I’ve officially started my journey with True Motion Golf! A solid technique foundation will be critical to getting faster and getting all of that speed applied to the ball.

2021 Journey for Speed (Edited 1/4/2021)
  • Target Speed: 105mph
  • Current speed: ~94mph

• Gain speed in my swing either through strength, mobility, and/or technique.

good to see the actual goals written down, good luck on the journey to better

Just saw this thread. Looking forward to following your progress.

I got my swing checked out by Matt and Tim. It’s not pretty but I’m confident they can get me swinging much better and much faster than before!

First step is getting setup right!

Can't wait to follow your progress!

I also stated the SS training protocols a couple of days ago. My driver SS is mid 90's but never have recorded a swing speed greater then 99. But, without any data measuring equipment at my disposal, I sure I have hit triple digits a few times throughout the years. I will just have to measure my progress by distance on the course until Rapsodo finally comes out with an android interface.

I’ll be joining you fellas on the Speed Sticks soon....was planning on earlier but big snowfall and some shovelling and my bum shoulder blew up and 3 weeks later, little improvement. Might have to get another cortisone shot, lasted 2 years but was great to play shoulder pain free.

Will be following along Mike, I know you can get to 115-120 with combination of technique, flexibility and determination...good luck!

I am going to be joining you in trying to up speed a bit soon. I am trying to focus more on getting a repeatable solid swing built first. I have started doing some workouts and stretching that will help with speed but will eventually be doing the over speed training with SuperSpeed sticks as well. I am not really a short hitter by any means but if I can gain a few more yards why not?

I got my swing checked out by Matt and Tim. It’s not pretty but I’m confident they can get me swinging much better and much faster than before!

First step is getting setup right!

Following this too. I have very similar numbers to you and have also started the Superspeed and exercise/weight loss thing. Good luck. Interested in this True Motion stuff, how is it?

Following this too. I have very similar numbers to you and have also started the Superspeed and exercise/weight loss thing. Good luck. Interested in this True Motion stuff, how is it?

Im actually going to post something good about them soon on here but work has gotten crazy and I had to pivot back to working at home so I can watch my daughter for a few weeks.

JOURNEY UPDATE

All I can say is WOOF! Some goals need to change but I know I can make some good progress this year!

CURRENT SWING SPEEDS!

7i: 82mph with a high of 85mph
Driver: 94mph with a high of 96mph

Either way, there is plenty of stuff to work on in the year.
I'll also drop my speed goal down to 105mph for now since I've seen where I currently sit for swing speed.

That seems much more realistic since 170 ball speed is a huge lift coming from where you're at right now. Also, if you want to gain a significant amount of speed you'll probably have to subside making swing changes for a bit. Unless you're a very adaptive player you will have to gain an excess of speed and then refine the form. For example, you will want to get to something like peak 110 mph and then figure out how to make it a consistent 105 mph with solid strike. This is especially important when we are talking about over-speed training where you are just talking about breaking through plateaus and swinging as hard as possible to do so. Then, from there, you take the new faster swing and make the swing changes to that.

Check Out Alex Evans/Paul Waring on YouTube. Paul Waring is a Europiean PGA Tour pro, and they’ve put out a lot of good content related to increasing swing speed. A little bit of technique, with a lot of attitude thrown in. Also take a look at the Bryson/Kyle Berkshire stuff.

It seems distance is king for a lot of us in 2021....

Back