Recommendation on shaft to put in 695CB Titleist set and ? on shaft length

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Dear experts - used to make some component clubs but a little rusty on some details.

I picked up a beautiful set of near mint 695 Titleist CB irons 3-w for almost nothing from a friend, and since they came with a set of x100 Dyn Gold shafts I need to reshaft them (at least in the longer clubs - I may keep my wedge and 9 XS in the DG as these feel really good as they are and/or change them out as I get used to the other shafts I am considering below).

My swing speed on the driver is consistently depending on the monitor between 95-100 and I currently hit a 7 iron about 155 but with a former set of these irons got 5-10 yards more. That set had a set of S300 Dynamic Gold shafts but I am now 53 and want something a little softer. I am considering several Nippon shafts that are lightweight with mid flex point and probably will stick with a stiff shaft in those but if I went with a heavier shaft would go with a regular most likely and for comparison a rifle 5.0 or 5.5 has always worke well for me.

When I had a recent fitting it was suggested I go with an extra 1/2 to 1 longer than standard and although I know this will affect SW I have three questions:

1) will the use of a lightweight shaft make up some of that difference in swing weight or might it make the club feel head heavy?

2) if I go with a longer club do you think it will change the flex enough that going defintetively with the stiff shaft would make a big difference?

3) is there another taper tip 355 shaft that is lightweight that any of you might prefer over the Nippon?

Regards and thanks in advance for any advice - Peter Rumm MD (8.5 current index)

Something simple even like the Mizuno shaft fitting tool you can find at most stores would give you the information you need here.

Otherwise you can look at the usual suspects of PX, KBS, DG, etc...
More goes into flex than just SS, tempo and other factors will play a role.
During your fitting, I would assume you got a recommendation of iron shafts...Is there a reason that recommendation will not work?

TX was recommended a lightweight shaft if go a little longer - I may just throw a set of a bargain price shaft = True Temper TT Lite XL Steel Iron Shafts as they are sort of a medium stiff design and probably about the right weight.

Back