Seve's conditons deteriorates

I personally wasn't a fan at the time he was playing - I followed Faldo and Woosnam instead and was upset that he was beating them - but certainly could see the quality of his play. I've loved seeing some of the programs about him since then, showing his passion for the sport and his respect for the people he played with. Particularly poignant was the program I saw around Christmas time when he was being interviewed in his home by Peter Alliss during his recovery from his operations. He showed a lot of humility, passion and humour and it was a great insight into his career.

Seve was a true great and helped to pull the European golfers up to the same standard as the Americans, and his Ryder Cup performances were immense. My thoughts are with his family and friends. I note that Jose Maria Olazabal (Seve's friend) is playing well again and I'm sure he'll be having a difficult time playing over the weekend in the Spanish Open. My thoughts are with him too.

R.I.P.

The word legend is often overused. In this case, it's not a strong enough word to describe the man.

Were it not for Seve, European golf in particular would not be where it is today. He was our champion.

Hopefully, a new generation of golfers will now get the chance to see Seve's best moments replayed, and learn from his genius.

Back