Trying to Break 100

Well, now that we've clarified it, let's address the specifics: hit it straighter, and more longer. That'll be $50.00.

Well, now that we've clarified it, let's address the specifics: hit it straighter, and more longer. That'll be $50.00.

I already have a therapist. He also says I have a persecution complex. He probably says that because he hates me.

I’ll pay you in adult beverages when I get selected for the Dream Foursomes event and drag you with me.

I’ll pay you in adult beverages when I get selected for the Dream Foursomes event and drag you with me.
I'm down with that. Very down.

I felt your side eye as you were typing this, lol.

Actually I was thinking of the guys in my Monday league. Some of them have never seen a lie that looks too difficult for them. There all like "Hold my beer."

Have to agree 100% with you on this, @Grins. I have what may be an over-inflated opinion of my decision-making abilities, but I will admit this is an area where I will make poor choices.

When the ball is above my feet, conventional wisdom says we have to play it to hook or pull left (righty). I'll either over or under compensate on a pretty regular basis. That's not an execution issue, it's a lack of skill or knowledge. So in that instance, it can be a poor choice to try the shot when there's too much trouble around. Advancing the ball to level ground might be the better decision.

I wish more driving ranges had places to practice those uneven lies. I remember the first time I was at a really nice range that had some spots on the sides of hills and I was thinking "that's stupid!" Man, I wish mine had that setup now.

Actually I was thinking of the guys in my Monday league. Some of them have never seen a lie that looks too difficult for them. There all like "Hold my beer."
Lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I wish more driving ranges had places to practice those uneven lies. I remember the first time I was at a really nice range that had some spots on the sides of hills and I was thinking "that's stupid!" Man, I wish mine had that setup now.
At this point, I'd be happy with just being able to hit off grass.:(

I've been struggling to hit the ball the same way more than one time. When I relax and keep my swing smoother and can focus on keeping my tempo steady, I can score. But it seems like I've gotten so used to swinging hard that I've developed some bad swing faults that I don't notice.

Playing on my home course Monday I shot a decentish 47 with 1 penalty stroke (really 2 shots lost to stroke and distance) and my putting was lousy (19 putts).
No pars, just fairly mediocre golf.

Two days before that, I played Grey Hawk GC for the first time and put up a sweet 122 for my competitive league. 11 penalty strokes. Twice I had 2 penalty strokes on the same hole. Lowlights were a 10 and three 9's. Now, this was a much tougher course than I'm used to playing, and some of those poor shots were because I didn't know the layout (& they don't have a map on their score card :mad:). But some of this was because I could not seem to make the same swing twice in a row.

And the greens were lightning fast. I 3-putted 5 times (38 putts total). It's a really nice course, but too tough for me with my current crappy game.

Another low light: I topped a ball off the tee and it popped up and back for a drive of -5 yards. I think that was another first.

tree.jpg
I forgot to mention an extenuating circumstance for my poor play Saturday, and the lesson I learned as a result:

Do not do a day-long Lumberjack workout the day before you go golfing. Cutting down and sawing up a tree with a hand saw is not going to help your golf game (at least according to my research)

Today was the first round I played at my home executive course since they rerouted the holes. 18 is the only hole that remained in the same order. Played havoc scoring on the Grint because I had to bounce around to keep score.

I did have a decent round, for me though. But the new routing is going to take some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started off by spraying the driver with two-way misses and decided to stop keeping score at about the third hole. That ended up being the right thing to do as I never really gained control off the tee.

This was the first time playing with a partner since losing my temper a couple months ago. I was heading down that same road again today so I decided to just turn it into a practice round. Kind of a p***y move, but I didn't want to subject someone to that again. Ended up having a good time.

Driver was worse than it's been all year, but @lil'mike helped me out with some advice that might help me get back on track. As far as the rest of the game, great contact with almost every full swing, but an inability to control the club face once again led to more poor shots than good ones. I would have certainly ended up north of 110 for a score. Still, there were a enough good shots and even a few well-played holes to turn it into an enjoyable day.

After a really bad front 9 I did my usual nose dive on the back 9. Figuring my round was already shot I just limped home, including a 10 after picking up on the par 5 17th.

Well I ended up shooting a 104, which is around what I usually shoot on that course. I actually was at 49 on the front 9. It felt way worse when I was out there, and I never count my score until after the round, so I had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started off by spraying the driver with two-way misses and decided to stop keeping score at about the third hole. That ended up being the right thing to do as I never really gained control off the tee.

This was the first time playing with a partner since losing my temper a couple months ago. I was heading down that same road again today so I decided to just turn it into a practice round. Kind of a p***y move, but I didn't want to subject someone to that again. Ended up having a good time.

Driver was worse than it's been all year, but @lil'mike helped me out with some advice that might help me get back on track. As far as the rest of the game, great contact with almost every full swing, but an inability to control the club face once again led to more poor shots than good ones. I would have certainly ended up north of 110 for a score. Still, there were a enough good shots and even a few well-played holes to turn it into an enjoyable day.

And don't forget the birdie you made! 😉

Have a good round tomorrow! 👍

View attachment 9015309
I forgot to mention an extenuating circumstance for my poor play Saturday, and the lesson I learned as a result:

Do not do a day-long Lumberjack workout the day before you go golfing. Cutting down and sawing up a tree with a hand saw is not going to help your golf game (at least according to my research)
At least you got to work with your woods !! 😂now if you do the same with irons who knows where your game end up ! ☺️

I’d probably be well advised to give up keeping score sometimes, but I never seem to do it. I don’t know about you, but a bad round where I’m making solid contact is much more enjoyable than one where I’m not, regardless of score. Seeing the ball go high and far(ish) is satisfying, even if items going out of play. Much better than the rounds where I’m getting nothing but tops and chunks.

I don’t know about you, but a bad round where I’m making solid contact is much more enjoyable than one where I’m not, regardless of score. Seeing the ball go high and far(ish) is satisfying, even if items going out of play
When I'm making good contact it's at least something to build on. But I don't like the wide misses regardless of how well the ball was struck. A well-struck ball that flies the green but is straightish does feel good even if it hurts my score. So in that regard, I understand what you're saying. But the inability to keep the ball in play left and right is maddening to me because 1) it's so common, and 2) I don't know how to fix it.

We need a @Hamfist report. He played a course with ob or water or both on every hole today.

5w off the tee, split the fairway... almost perfect. Almost. Since it's just practice, i tried a club fit for the distance. Nope, clips the tree. Then tried to chase it up there with a low 6i and ended up one of the bunkers guarding the green against exactly that kind of plan.
View attachment 9010021View attachment 9010020

I'm worried 3w, or even driver, would put more trouble in play through dispersion. Or even long, in case of actually hitting driver properly.
Guess i'll just have to find another 5-10m on my clubs to turn this into a proper par-4-able hole?
I like today's effort better
IMG_20210704_110945.jpg

chipping&putting, range, front 9 followed by more range and 5 more holes for a total of 4 hours at the club today.
Finally FREEDOM after writing my thesis. Until my employer decides remote working time is over. Which is... tomorrow! yay.

51 for the front 9
collected a lot of doubles, but still had a lot of fun playing. Two "second ball pars" on first strokes i really didn't expect to lose. Joys of playing alone + having forgotten your glasses at home.
Driver wouldn't behave on the range. Didn't get a chance on the front 9. Still wouldn't behave after revisiting the range. Either High push or low hook, nothing in between. It's in timeout now, let's see if that helps ;)

4 bogeys and a triple :rolleyes: on the other 5.
Not stellar, but i think i'll be ok on my first official round come thursday.

Last edited:
Well, started out with my normal crappy golf - 2-way misses with the driver, a bunch of GIRs that ended with 3 putts and enough good shots to score a 49 on the first 9 holes. Pretty-standard-stuff. Started out the 2nd with 2 more GIR's and surprisingly took advantage by 2-putting both for pars. Then everything went to hell and I literally got penalties on 6 of the next 7 holes - some multiple and from just about every club in the bag. What had been a very solid short game all year fell apart today as well. 58 the 2nd time through.

Like most seasons before, this year has been a series of digging myself out of double-bogey golf, enjoying a few rounds of mid-90's, 25 handicap golf and then falling back to double-bogey golf again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You'd think I could get used to bad golf with as consistently as I play it, but this just isn't fun. Pretending otherwise is just denial. I'm going to look back on this and wonder wtf I wasted so much of my life by putting such a great deal of effort into it with the result being something I hate so much. And the worst part is knowing it's not going to be any different year after year.

Literally, the only good positive thing to come from golf is the exercise I get from walking the course. As bad as it is, it still beats the hell out of a treadmill.

End of rant. I already made the tee time for next Sunday. :ROFLMAO:

Well, started out with my normal crappy golf - 2-way misses with the driver, a bunch of GIRs that ended with 3 putts and enough good shots to score a 49 on the first 9 holes. Pretty-standard-stuff. Started out the 2nd with 2 more GIR's and surprisingly took advantage by 2-putting both for pars. Then everything went to hell and I literally got penalties on 6 of the next 7 holes - some multiple and from just about every club in the bag. What had been a very solid short game all year fell apart today as well. 58 the 2nd time through.

Like most seasons before, this year has been a series of digging myself out of double-bogey golf, enjoying a few rounds of mid-90's, 25 handicap golf and then falling back to double-bogey golf again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You'd think I could get used to bad golf with as consistently as I play it, but this just isn't fun. Pretending otherwise is just denial. I'm going to look back on this and wonder wtf I wasted so much of my life by putting such a great deal of effort into it with the result being something I hate so much. And the worst part is knowing it's not going to be any different year after year.

Literally, the only good positive thing to come from golf is the exercise I get from walking the course. As bad as it is, it still beats the hell out of a treadmill.

End of rant. I already made the tee time for next Sunday. :ROFLMAO:
Fickle game this golf. I was having the most consistent time of my golfing life, then went on a trip to visit my son/granddaughter in Austin, and coming back, bamm, crap. Will go to the range and try and straighten things out.

Fickle game this golf. I was having the most consistent time of my golfing life, then went on a trip to visit my son/granddaughter in Austin, and coming back, bamm, crap. Will go to the range and try and straighten things out.
Yes, it is fickle and probably at every level. I'll go out and do the same. Work on the short game and irons to try and get back to my normal craptacular golf. That level of golf I can at least stomach.

Played 9 holes today, and I was the only one out there. Was it a holiday or something? JK, 4th, I know. Started with a double bogey, then a bogey, then another and thought this is a crappy round. Then Something happened and I started to par everything. If I wasn't par-ing, I was getting a birdie (two today). One birdie I earned on a par 4 with 10 feet left for birdie and I hit it. The second birdie I did not deserve. Just off the green, hit a bump and run using a 9 iron and it was way to fast, but hit the stick and in it went. Ended up with 2 over par for a happy day. :p

Last edited:
We need a @Hamfist report. He played a course with ob or water or both on every hole today.
Weeeeellll, shot a 53/48. Visited the OB, visited the water. The same Grey Hawk that Grins reported on. Fast, fast greens. H2O and OB, everywhere. I’m not sure how I made that score, the wheels have fallen off damn near every facet of my game over the last two weeks.

Back