Should I get blades?

hawklet06

Reaction score
Handicap
too high
Today I was at the driving range, and I tried out the Bridgestone J36, and Ping S57. I hit them much better than my CG7's. I thought it was a fluke, so I went to the local store and hit some MP-58, MP-14, Titleist MBs and Adams CB1, and they all were better than my CG7s.
The catch is I don't consider myself a great golfer and am a mid-handicapper, so I am a little nervous about going away from the more forgiving clubs.

If I hit the muscle back styler better, should I go ahead and make the switch?
If I decide to switch, should I get a set of used MP-60s, and keep the CG7s (which are only a year old), or should I trade in my CG7s and get fit for new clubs?

Today I was at the driving range, and I tried out the Bridgestone J36, and Ping S57. I hit them much better than my CG7's. I thought it was a fluke, so I went to the local store and hit some MP-58, MP-14, Titleist MBs and Adams CB1, and they all were better than my CG7s.
The catch is I don't consider myself a great golfer and am a mid-handicapper, so I am a little nervous about going away from the more forgiving clubs.

If I decide to switch, should I get a set of used MP-60s, and keep the CG7s (which are only a year old), or should I trade in my CG7s and get fit for new clubs?

I would get fit. You won't be steered wrong.

I would say get fit

Today I was at the driving range, and I tried out the Bridgestone J36, and Ping S57. I hit them much better than my CG7's

Just because I'm confused, what do you mean by "hitting them better"?

I found that when golfers hit blades they hit them well for the first few times because mentally they are telling themselves that blades are typically hard to hit so I need to focus. Hitting blades well as a mid to high handicaper is the result of 1 of 2 situations. (1) youre focusing alot to hit a hard, unforgiving club. (2) youre actually a great ball striker but the reason you struggle is putting and chipping which cost you around 10 to 12 shots a round. Just my thoughts.

Just because I'm confused, what do you mean by "hitting them better"?
I hit them straighter (my CG7s have a tendency to go a little right), I had fewer mishits, and my mishits weren't as bad as they are with the CG7s.

I hit them straighter (my CG7s have a tendency to go a little right), I had fewer mishits, and my mishits weren't as bad as they are with the CG7s.

That seems kind of backwards. The CG7's are a Game Improvement iron which should help more on mishits. I agree with No_Three_Jacks on this one, I think you were concentrating very hard and telling yourself they were harder to hit and hence, struck the ball better because of the increased concentration.

What is your handicap? If it's over a 10 no way.....no way...never.....the advantages of blades over the cavity back clubs are something a player with a 10+ handicap will in most cases not take advantage of being...

1. Ability to turn the ball either way
2. Ability to flight the ball higher or lower

I'm a 6 and I stay away from them....why make golf harder? Make it easier as an amateur and enjoy the game.

Everyone has good and bad days, even the pros. For them it is the difference between shooting 65 or 75. For you and me it is the difference between hitting the ball reasonably well and not hitting the ball well at all. I have days where I hit everything on the screws and other days when I hit a few shanks or thins or whatever and have to scramble, that is normal. You may have just had one of those great days hitting the ball without the pressure of having to make a shot. On the golf course the meaning of the shot changes and that can cause stress and reduced performance. The point I guess is that you can't go by one good hour or even one good day of ball striking. If you are a near 20 handicap then there is a reason for that and unless your short game or putting is entirely responsible for your handicap it is likely that your ball striking plays some part in your scoring and both ball striking and scoring are likely to suffer over time with irons that are more difficult to hit. I would suggest you have a pro look at your swing and they can recommend to you what clubs you should be hitting.

Now I'm really confused. The sweet spot is much smaller on the blades than it is on the CG7s. If you're hitting the sweet spot on the blades, then help the economy and spend some money on blades. Although, I don't understand how you can miss the sweet spot on the Clevelands and hit it on the J36s. But I am a simple man.

That seems kind of backwards. The CG7's are a Game Improvement iron which should help more on mishits. I agree with No_Three_Jacks on this one, I think you were concentrating very hard and telling yourself they were harder to hit and hence, struck the ball better because of the increased concentration.

What usually happens is that on a Demo day mid to high handicappers hit them well due to focus and 3 weeks down the road and 900.00 later they are unhappy. Look at Luke Donald. He is by far the best player on staff with mizuno. And mizuno (in my opinion) makes the best forged blade on the market and he doesnt even play the full blade.

What usually happens is that on a Demo day mid to high handicappers hit them well due to focus and 3 weeks down the road and 900.00 later they are unhappy. Look at Luke Donald. He is by far the best player on staff with mizuno. And mizuno (in my opinion) makes the best forged blade on the market and he doesnt even play the full blade.

The list on tour pros not playing blades is long and impressive.

Everyone has good and bad days, even the pros. For them it is the difference between shooting 65 or 75. For you and me it is the difference between hitting the ball reasonably well and not hitting the ball well at all. I have days where I hit everything on the screws and other days when I hit a few shanks or thins or whatever and have to scramble, that is normal. You may have just had one of those great days hitting the ball without the pressure of having to make a shot. On the golf course the meaning of the shot changes and that can cause stress and reduced performance. The point I guess is that you can't go by one good hour or even one good day of ball striking. If you are a near 20 handicap then there is a reason for that and unless your short game or putting is entirely responsible for your handicap it is likely that your ball striking plays some part in your scoring and both ball striking and scoring are likely to suffer over time with irons that are more difficult to hit. I would suggest you have a pro look at your swing and they can recommend to you what clubs you should be hitting.

Completely agree with this poster....we all have thought....those blades would look really cool in my bag...and you LOVE the feel of a pure shot with them but in my humble opinion most amateurs need MORE forgiveness in their bag....not less.

The list on tour pros not playing blades is long and impressive.

Exactly my point. A large number dont even play forged!

What is your handicap? If it's over a 10 no way.....no way...never.....the advantages of blades over the cavity back clubs are something a player with a 10+ handicap will in most cases not take advantage of being...

1. Ability to turn the ball either way
2. Ability to flight the ball higher or lower

I'm a 6 and I stay away from them....why make golf harder? Make it easier as an amateur and enjoy the game.

I agree totally with him. Stick with the more forgiving clubs

The point is the misconceptions about what pros play.

I agree....the thing is....if you're asking if you should play blades you shouldn't be playing them. Good players know and the rest of us enjoy our games.

I am an 8.7 and I am no where near consistant, (or good) enough to play blades. Why make the game harder?

I agree totally with him. Stick with the more forgiving clubs

This is a challenge MOST people struggle with......you see the guys on tv hitting a certain club and you let it dictate what you want or what you play with. I went out and walked 9 holes last night....shot a 33 on par 36....but I have no business playing blades. None. I could do it but why? Golf for us an amateurs is about the enjoyment of the game...it's not even the same game as the pro's play.

I understand what everyone is saying, but I still stuck at the fact that if blades make me focus more, or the offset of the club head makes for more consistent swinging, why not get the clubs that I hit better even if it doesn't make sense?

Or would the best route be to trade in my clubs, and get fit for the best clubs for me regardless of what style?

I am going to go against the grain here; common wisdom is that virtually all of us need more forgiveness in our irons and it is probably true.

BUT, as an eighteen handicap I got Hogan Apex Grind blades a while back and LOVED them. For many years I "knew" they were not the right clubs for me but I managed to get to a 4 handicap with those skinny clubs.

I have "upgraded" to a more forgiving Apex Pro (cavity) and have seen no real improvement.

I would suggest getting fitted but if you hear those blades calling, go for it.

This thread has got me pondering about my old set of clubs again. I have a vintage set of Wilson ProStaff's sitting in my closet right now that I might have to take out and hit again just to remember how much more I like playing cavity backs.

Well, I'm glad you had a pleasant experience. Given the incredibly cheap price of fitting anymore, there's no reason not to get fit for clubs. You may find out that blades aren't the best club for you. However, if you are looking for something that is 'less' game improvement and a little more 'player's' style, check out the TM TP CB irons, or other comparable irons from other manufacturers.

Back