Recent content by 5150

1. 5150

You Hoard?

Tee times. I don't hoard stuff. If it works, I use it until it wears out, then get another.
  2. 5150

Rare Top Golf Blunder

At Top Golf in Tempe I was getting ready to hit when a 7i smashed the ceiling above me, dropped off my shoulder and landed on the turf. The drunk guy 2 stalls over apparently took a big swing, lost the club and I found it for him, with my shoulder. Top Golf staff showed up immediately and...
  3. 5150

When It Goes Away

1.9... that puts you in some rarified air there, @JB . It's a small % of golfers who get within sniffing distance of scratch. Was 1.9 your all-time low? I ask because I suspect it was quite a hill to climb, getting down to 1.9, and wonder if the fall-off here is "been there, done that"...
  4. 5150

ttucliffhanger’s journey to Scratch

Can’t go wrong with Rotella. Also recommend Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. @ttucliffhanger I went from 16 to 8 last year (now back to 12) and have similar goals for next year as well… haven’t decided on a handicap goal but 5 feels pretty good. Let’s go get it!
  5. 5150

Most ignored golf rules

Not to mention… out of all the tough lies I face (I play it down religiously), the fairway divot is the one I worry least about. Just hit the ball first. It’s not that hard.
  6. 5150

How do you approach someone about their slow play?

/\/\/\ this /\/\/\ Trying to control others is a fool’s errand. I mind my own business. If we’re behind pace, then I make sure I’m not the one causing it and leave it at that. Sidebar: it’d be interesting to cross reference the slow play threads with the “how much do you drink on the course”...
  7. 5150

New 13th tee Augusta National

Why is that sad? It’ll play more like the original design intended: a draw, hugging the creek and getting around the corner, gets the flattest lie. But you have to hit driver and hug the creek to get it. I’ll take that over bombing it up around the corner 50y past the creek.
  8. 5150

How much beer can you drink and still play golf?

I met a guy once at a friend’s country club who rolled up on us on the 10th. And I mean he rolled onto the tee. Not in his cart. He just fell over and rolled across the box; his driver fell next to him. There were two empty wine bottles in the cart basket. We all hit while he laid there. He...
  9. 5150

@Et Tu Brute? I used drink quite a bit when I played... golf and guitar. I was a professional musician in my younger days, and as life got busier w/ kids and such, I got a desk job and music was relegated to a hobby and the occasional bar gig with my buddies (just playing covers). Generally...
  10. 5150

I'm no scientist, just a guy with an internet connection, but it seems that the conventional wisdom is that our bodies can handle about one drink per hour. https://umatter.princeton.edu/limits/drink-smart#:~:text=where%20you%20can.-,Pace,amount%20of%20time%20between%20drinks. That's just one...
  11. 5150

My emphasis added above. I really don't understand how folks can say with a straight face and a clear conscience that they'll crush a 6 pack, 12 pack or more during a round and then drive home, as if it's some badge of honor to get tanked on the course and then climb behind the wheel. It's...
  12. 5150

*Maybe* one beer, at the turn. But that’s rare. I enjoy the game a lot more when I’m sober.
  13. 5150

How do you improve ball striking with irons?

No doubt... prior to gaining that understanding, when things went sideways out there, I was just guessing at how to fix it. Now I understand what's happening (at impact, at least) and can address it. To be honest, I'm a bit miffed, that in all the lessons I've had (with a certified teaching...
  14. 5150

Playing in your company’s Charity event

Be yourself. Life’s too short.
  15. 5150

How do you improve ball striking with irons?

Well said. To split hairs a bit further: I don’t even mean the mechanical root cause, such as my hips or shoulders or early release or whatever. I just mean how ball flight is determined by various factors at impact (low point, face angle and path). I had no real understanding of that stuff...
Back