How much beer can you drink and still play golf?

We had a pretty great few holes though, when you were in your 'zone' hahaha

was all good until I didn't know which ball to hit.

I'm generally good with about 6, but I rarely drink that much if I walk. Normally don't crack a beer until about 15 when I walk, but I will have a little Bailey's in the coffee for the first few holes if it's cold enough.

Me?... none, I don't ever have one while playing. But this sounds like a thread I need to mention 'Happy Jack'. So there was a guy (~55-ish) that my wife and I would see on a previous course we played, who played with a younger guy partner (~30-ish)....they always had beer, lots of beer in their cart. We were cordial to them, always saying hi and asking how their game was that day, etc. One day they pulled up behind on waiting to tee off on hole 10 and they said it's so slow, do we mind if they joined us and we said sure. I recalled, earlier as we were leaving the golf pro shop at the turn, they already were emptying their golf cart basket of empty beer cans and heard them talking about going in to 're-fill' their cooler :oops:o_O. So, we start off on hole 10. I assumed they already finished a 12-pack on the front from the amount of cans they discarded at the turn. They seemed unfazed from the beer, and we played on. The older guy was pretty good, maybe a tad better than me, and the younger guy a tad worse. I couldn't help notice the older guy already downed 1 beer per hole each for the first 3 holes on the back, and my wife gave him the appropriate nick-name "Happy Jack" (aka 'Jack Sparrow'). Interest in my golf game diminished as I found it was more fun watching them drink and play golf, wondering at what point will they turn into stumbling fools. My wife and I made numerous 'side-eye' silent gestures at each other with a sly smile after they crushed the finished cans and tossed them in their back golf cart basket. They seemingly had an endless supply. I would have been out cold if I drank that much....maybe I could have kept up with them in my younger years, but I doubt it. They seemed unfazed, a bit more jovial, joking,but amazingly still able to play golf where he was competitive with me...what, are you kidding me???!!! I was intent to watch this till the end, where maybe they will be falling out of the cart. He was pretty funny as my wife was more amused than annoyed and when we finished I carefully suggested that they hang out at the grill and get something to eat and not drive straight home. The older guy must have drank about 1 can/hole the entire back nine (and I'm sure he had at least a six-pack on the front. I wondered if years of drinking like that was why he was able to control himself to some degree. And this was a hot, 95-degree summer day.

These days?? Zero. Just not my thing anymore. Back in the day, there used to be a fine line between swing oil and disaster.

I know guys that don’t start playing without Gavin at least 4 beers. They’re all mid single digit hcp. I could never do that

I prefer not to drink when I'm playing. However, on the occasional round that I do, 2 beers is fine for me.

It also amazes me how some people can consume as much beer as they do on the course and still be able to hit a ball. And how those same people make it home in one piece after leaving the course. Working at a course, I am shocked about how many empty beer cans and or bottles are on some of the carts when they are turned in.

I rarely drink any alcohol while playing. On the rare occasions when I do, I would not go over 3 beers during the course of the round.

My emphasis added above.

I really don't understand how folks can say with a straight face and a clear conscience that they'll crush a 6 pack, 12 pack or more during a round and then drive home, as if it's some badge of honor to get tanked on the course and then climb behind the wheel.

It's irresponsible at best, and at worst, criminal and/or deadly.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for being the fun police... that's fine.

There have certainly been occasions where I got behind the wheel when I should not have - I'm no saint.

Not anymore.

My emphasis added above.

I really don't understand how folks can say with a straight face and a clear conscience that they'll crush a 6 pack, 12 pack or more during a round and then drive home, as if it's some badge of honor to get tanked on the course and then climb behind the wheel.

It's irresponsible at best, and at worst, criminal and/or deadly.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for being the fun police... that's fine.

There have certainly been occasions where I got behind the wheel when I should not have - I'm no saint.

Not anymore.
No flames here, I agree.

That was actually part of my "pondering" about those guys who played ahead of me the other day. They went directly from the 18th green to the parking lot and each got in his own car and drove away. Now for all I know maybe they had finished drinking halfway through the back nine but I just don't think you can be unimpaired even an hour or two after downing 6, 8, 10 beers or maybe more. And that's not counting the liquor before teeing off.

I don't drink (or at least not more than a single beer once in a great while) so I may not understand the clearance rate. But my impression was a double-digit number of "servings" of alcohol takes several hours to metabolize, doesn't it?

Not a lot.

A older guy I play with always has 8 or so beers when he plays. Doesn't mater if we tee off at 7 a.m. or 1 p.m.

No flames here, I agree.

That was actually part of my "pondering" about those guys who played ahead of me the other day. They went directly from the 18th green to the parking lot and each got in his own car and drove away. Now for all I know maybe they had finished drinking halfway through the back nine but I just don't think you can be unimpaired even an hour or two after downing 6, 8, 10 beers or maybe more. And that's not counting the liquor before teeing off.

I don't drink (or at least not more than a single beer once in a great while) so I may not understand the clearance rate. But my impression was a double-digit number of "servings" of alcohol takes several hours to metabolize, doesn't it?

I'm no scientist, just a guy with an internet connection, but it seems that the conventional wisdom is that our bodies can handle about one drink per hour.

That's just one source (link above); I haven't done a bunch of research.

Golf, or something that looks like golf? 😜

Honestly, it depends on the beer. Here at home I could probably put down 9-12 light beers in a round and not notice. Put me on course at sea level and that number would go up.

Heavier or stronger beers, and that number could go down pretty quickly. Mixed drinks - depends on how strong they are.

Would I ever do it? Nah. Not my style. I don't drink to get drunk, so after a couple I'm done for the round and onto water.

I used to play a little golf while i drank. Now, i generally dont drink when i play. Two or three on the front and maybe one or two on the back would be the most i would want to do, unless is was a charity scramble.

@Et Tu Brute? I used drink quite a bit when I played... golf and guitar.

I was a professional musician in my younger days, and as life got busier w/ kids and such, I got a desk job and music was relegated to a hobby and the occasional bar gig with my buddies (just playing covers). Generally I'd have 2 or 3 beers over the course of a 3 hour set.

We recorded a gig one night, during which I had my typical 2-3 beers.

The last 45 minutes of the set was unlistenable. Just terrible guitar playing. I won't touch it again, ever, while at a paying gig.

That really opened my eyes... my skill level just plummeted, although at the time, onstage, I thought I was Eddie Van Halen.

If I can't play bar band covers well after a few beers, why would I play golf that way?

Or drive home?

We're all losing to the guy that downed 9 jack and cokes in a 8:15 round. That guy is like the Pat Mahomes of drinking during golf.
He's a pu**y and needs to step it up. :p

On a weekend round if I am just having fun and obviously not driving after I could do 6. If they are light beers I am probably not even drunk with a beer every 3 holes.

I don't drink much. When I do, it's rarely more than 2. I don't really drink when I'm golfing. I can't even imagine the thought of drinking 6 or more beers in a 4 hour period and driving. I'd be worrying about how I'd get home and trying to download uber to my phone... or just hang out at the golf course for several hours until I was safe to drive.

About 2.5 mg Vicodin which I have to take at the 9th tee which means no alcohol for me.

My brother and I had a bet in the '80's where we had to drink 18 beers in 18 holes while playing $2 one-downs. He paced himself pretty well, and I was killing him by the time we got to about 14 or 15. I then realized I had 6 more beers to drink. I started pounding them, and even though I started playing worse, there was no way I could lose by the time we were playing 18. I hit 2 really bad shots, leaving me about 40 yards short of the green, when I decided to go double or nothing on an up-and-down. I chunked it about 10 yards and don't really remember finishing the hole...

So, to answer the question, I could probably play OK with a 12-pack, but I may make bad decisions too! lol

I can beer enough drink when golf...whassa question again?

Last edited:
The smoker you drink...the player you get!

All I can say is a heck of a lot less than I used to. Although, now that I think about it, when I could really play this game I took it much more seriously. No drinking happened until after the round!

I am not a big drinker so maybe 3-4 beers before it will negatively affect my game.

I did do 7 shots on the first 7 holes 1 time. I don't remember the last 9 holes or breaking my nose!
That shall never be repeated.

Back