Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

It's crazy how over priced used clubs are right now. 6 months ago I was looking at Z585s since new ZXs were out of my price range, and now the 585s have shot up. Looks like I will need to wait for the market to cool down. College for the boys comes 1st as all we fathers well know.

Ive been itching to try a set of srixons for a while now. No golf retailer remotely near me carries them and I didnt want new anyway. I found a set of ZX7 5-aw on ebay with aerotech sf shafts. I play with graphite and its a must. I pulled the trigger saturday morning on them and cant wait for them to arrive. I had a set of Ping i500s and sold them, I loved the feel of the forged irons and miss that now that I dont have them any longer. This thread was a huge reason I made my decision on the ZX7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a really great day with the ZX7's, 12/14 GIR with irons. (1/4 with hybrids and fairways)
Was getting a really good ball flight and stopping power with them today. The feel is still amazing to me.

Ive been itching to try a set of srixons for a while now. No golf retailer remotely near me carries them and I didnt want new anyway. I found a set of ZX7 5-aw on ebay with aerotech sf shafts. I play with graphite and its a must. I pulled the trigger saturday morning on them and cant wait for them to arrive. I had a set of Ping i500s and sold them, I loved the feel of the forged irons and miss that now that I dont have them any longer. This thread was a huge reason I made my decision on the ZX7.

So I guess you did not know about U Try from Global Golf. Was able to rent a complete iron set of zx5 for 2 weeks for only $50 oh, that include shipping both ways. That's how I know I love these iron so much.

Still loving mine as it seems most in here are also. Only thing I found the other day, I have rock gashes on my 8 iron :( No idea where they came from as I don’t recall having to play from a bunker or area with stones. Probably ones under the ground unfortunately.

I know they’re tools haha but it’s the first major marks.Just a little sad😂

So I guess you did not know about U Try from Global Golf. Was able to rent a complete iron set of zx5 for 2 weeks for only $50 oh, that include shipping both ways. That's how I know I love these iron so much.

I looked at that a little while back but I didnt see a graphite shaft option.

If you pull the trigger and want to build up a 4i, I have a head that I won't end up using. Too lazy to post a classified ad for it. PM if interested.

I hit a couple of swings with my father's brand new set of ZX5s, really liked them. They really feel like the Srixon version of the P790 which is a very good thing. I think they will compete nicely against the new P790s as well. The only thing is I can't get tell you how they directly compare to my P770s (which is somewhere between ZX5 and ZX7) since my dad got the same C-Taper Lite Stiff shafts as me but his are an inch longer and 1* upright (he is 4 inches shorter than me...). I am not sure why he went to Golf Galaxy to get fitted but that just seems like the wrong setup, lol.

This is true, they do have a limited option. But at fifty bucks it's still fun to play around

I hit a couple of swings with my father's brand new set of ZX5s, really liked them. They really feel like the Srixon version of the P790 which is a very good thing. I think they will compete nicely against the new P790s as well. The only thing is I can't get tell you how they directly compare to my P770s (which is somewhere between ZX5 and ZX7) since my dad got the same C-Taper Lite Stiff shafts as me but his are an inch longer and 1* upright (he is 4 inches shorter than me...). I am not sure why he went to Golf Galaxy to get fitted but that just seems like the wrong setup, lol.
4 in shorter. So that would make you 6 ft 6 in.:)

This is true, they do have a limited option. But at fifty bucks it's still fun to play around

I see your point but I feel pretty strong that I’ll want to keep these anyway.

I see your point but I feel pretty strong that I’ll want to keep these anyway.

If not, I'll send you my address :). Hope you enjoy those like I enjoyed the zx5

1i, is that the fabled iron of the gods? ;) yes to be honest I'm just a wee bit older now and these clubs, well I don't think there's a whole lot of GrooVe left in the face
That shouldn't be a problem. Everyone knows that Groove is In the Heart

Lol nope, I am 6'2" and I was fitted into standard length, loft and lie.
Standard length, that's odd. I'm going to be fitted soon but I happened to glance at the Ping size chart and it shows that my six-foot-two and wrist length I would be a plus one length and two degrees upright. You must have really long arms :)

I have been taking videos of my swing oh, not the prettiest, and I seem to be more hunched over so I believe the Zings that I bought used was standard length

Standard length, that's odd. I'm going to be fitted soon but I happened to glance at the Ping size chart and it shows that my six-foot-two and wrist length I would be a plus one length and two degrees upright. You must have really long arms :)

Nope, wing span is like 6'3" so pretty average proportion. DJ plays 2* upright and 1" longer, but I don't think you can broad stroke fitting like that solely based off of measurements.

Nope, wing span is like 6'3" so pretty average proportion. DJ plays 2* upright and 1" longer, but I don't think you can broad stroke fitting like that solely based off of measurements.

He plays 38 3/8” 5 iron if I’m not mistaken.

B8A19D77-E556-46CE-9B6D-3FA051A65FD0.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think if the wife wants to go Sunday I'm taking the ZX7. I was pretty glad I had the clubs I did today, but I might have liked having these to get through the turf even more. I really do think it's easier on sore parts. Soft grips and V Soles are a nice combo.

My ZX7s arrived yesterday! I was playing in a charity scramble so I didnt get to take them out. They have the steelfiber shafts so this will be a first all around for me, first Srixon clubs/first steelfiber shafts. I have mostly hit recoils so Im interested to see how the steelfiber compares. I hope to get them out this evening to see what they feel like.

ZX7's performed pretty good today. No fat shots and distances where spot on, just my left/right accuracy needs some work.
Still really enjoying the Modus 120 shaft in these irons, keep a smooth tempo and the ball just launches off the face.

Got in a good demo of the ZX7 while at CC. They look and feel so good! Only issue for me was they spun too low for my needs.

Walked 9 holes this afternoon, they feel soooooooo good when you hit the ball pure. I had a couple mishits and they are pretty forgiving there also. Steelfibers produced a nice ball flight also. So far I am pleased. Looking down at them at address they look so good setting behind the ball! As most everyone else has said the turf interaction is really good! They are prob going to knock the G425s out of the bag if they keep performing like they did today.

Back