Jank+Nate-Fest 2024 (April 2024 in PHX)

I moved to Arizona in 2009 and I want to say I started play at Wekopa around 2011 or so. I was not a very good golfer back then. I will say I have gone from a 18ish cap down to a 7ish cap in this time frame. That being said the Cholla course has given me a lot of scar tissue in that time. This hole is the main reason for that scar tissue.

I put my current driver simulation on the map to show really how I will start to play it. Just left of the bunker but I need a really good straight ball. For me I have always had a right miss when I go after a driver so I always looked at aiming a little more left to give me some extra space to miss. Of course if I go too far right I can run through the fairway. This tee shot was always difficult for me. May be take a 3w or a 5w and get it to the meaty part of the fairway could be an option but this is a par 5 and I am a caveman by nature.

So once you get a shot in play then there is the green. I gave up trying to go for the green a 2 a long time ago. There is no reason for me to even try because I don't have the accuracy to do it. So below is the before picture of hole 8. There was a wash between the fairway and green that I kind of marked off in the overhead shot. So you had to layup and give yourself a shot into the green over 150 yds or have an accurate shot that was generally at least 200 yds to get over the wash. It was a tough choice especially back then when I was really bad. I think the renovation was 2016. So once that got filled I thought that my issues were over, I can finally get a better layup to go for the green. Well I still sucked off the tee so I never really get a chance to really press my luck at how far I can take on the chute going down to the green.

I then also explained in the description post that the left side of the green has a no man's land area that is pure evil. Well guess what my miss is on irons and wedges, of course an over draw that brings that whole area into play. I can't ever remember the last time I made bogey on this hole. It is a torture chamber for me. I hate it. :mad: :ROFLMAO:

1706642010721.png

1706642065482.png

The before picture looks pretty with all of their photoshop tricks and stuff :D

Using the overhead view (which is realistic imo) paints an entirely different picture (no pun intended)

Based on your description I can see why you don't like the hole. Nothing about it looks easy.

The before picture looks pretty with all of their photoshop tricks and stuff :D

Using the overhead view (which is realistic imo) paints an entirely different picture (no pun intended)

Based on your description I can see why you don't like the hole. Nothing about it looks easy.
95% of thes reason I don't like it is because I try too hard to birdie this hole. If I played it smart I would do much better. That is on me.

95% of thes reason I don't like it is because I try too hard to birdie this hole. If I played it smart I would do much better. That is on me.
I get it, it's a par 5. Those are normally chop-licking material.

It still looks really tight in the overhead

If anyone is looking for a roomie, I just reserved a double...I promise I won't drink all of your beer! :ROFLMAO:

If anyone is looking for a roomie, I just reserved a double...I promise I won't drink all of your beer! :ROFLMAO:
I haven't reserved a room yet. I've been told I snore a bit... give it some thought before you say yes :ROFLMAO:

I haven't reserved a room yet. I've been told I snore a bit... give it some thought before you say yes :ROFLMAO:
You’re in! I’m used to hearing my wife snore anyway. lol

Can't wait for this trip. Appreciate the hole breakdowns @echico 👊

Hole 9 Par 4 White Tees - 384 yds

After hole 8 I am usually steaming so I like this hole because you can wail on the driver to get some of the frustration out. So we saw it on hole 7, there is a huge fairway except for this little spot of trouble in the middle. Here it is the collection of bunkers. The nice thing is in general from the white tees (playing composite) most folks should be able to get over the bunkers with a driver. That is water up there on the right and it is about 300 on fly to get to it. There are not a lot of flat lies with your approach shot into this green. I think the green tilts from back to front but am not sure. It is a pretty straight forward hole. I have played from the right side rough a lot from this hole and it really is not a bad place to be. Again just grip it and rip it....unless you hook the ball. :ROFLMAO:

Turn left from the green and you will see a snack shack (if it is open) right next to #10 tee.

1706750607521.png

Hole 9 Par 4 White Tees - 384 yds

After hole 8 I am usually steaming so I like this hole because you can wail on the driver to get some of the frustration out. So we saw it on hole 7, there is a huge fairway except for this little spot of trouble in the middle. Here it is the collection of bunkers. The nice thing is in general from the white tees (playing composite) most folks should be able to get over the bunkers with a driver. That is water up there on the right and it is about 300 on fly to get to it. There are not a lot of flat lies with your approach shot into this green. I think the green tilts from back to front but am not sure. It is a pretty straight forward hole. I have played from the right side rough a lot from this hole and it really is not a bad place to be. Again just grip it and rip it....unless you hook the ball. :ROFLMAO:

Turn left from the green and you will see a snack shack (if it is open) right next to #10 tee.

View attachment 9239859
Funny!

You’re not giving that left side enough credit!! The line and view off the tee are slightly designed to give the player trouble. The bunkers @echico notes to carry put trust issues on the tee box and players will often pull it right into desert hell!

The green is protected on the right side by a bunker that is not nice. The green does have tilt to the back, but it’s defense by design is that it appears larger than it is and it falls off to the back and front left.

It really is a good hole. And while it appears to be a good chance at scoring, so often I see players taking larger than expected scores.

Excited for @echico to outline the back. The back is a roller coaster! A make or break your round 9 holes! There are a LOT of decisions to be made!

Ok we are finalized for WeKoPa.

$209/night for two Queen beds or $105/night if shared. Friday and Saturday night

Tee Times
Saturday 4/20 $239 10:50 to 12:00
Sunday 4/21 $239 8:10 to 9:20

Total for weekend $687.

Everyone who is playing needs to set up a reservation and deposit of $300 by March 15th. I've signed us up for 32 players so I will need to know when this number changes.

Please call James Kinzer (Golf Sales Manager) at 480-789-5307 and set it up under the Morgan Group.

Registered! Official! Ready to prime the pump!
No deposit is required as they changed their policy. But I need everyone to call and register for an accurate total. Deadline is March 15th

No deposit is required as they changed their policy. But I need everyone to call and register for an accurate total. Deadline is March 15th
I am registered and whoever wants to tag me as a roommate can. I will have creature comforts in my room

I'm registered, are we there yet???

OK all done on the front 9 at Cholla. I do not like the front 9 even though it has my favorite hole on Cholla there. I think the par 3's are good but not great. Hole 8 is my nemesis. There is plenty of scenery to help calm me down but my ego has usually taken a hit on the front 9 at Cholla. The back has 2 pretty good par 3's. one of the par 5's is a brute. A drivable par 4 with a generous green. The problem is there can be a lot of "hold my beer" shots as well. There are some really well framed holes that make you want to try a shot you have no business trying and also making you layup when it is not needed. You need your wits in the back and think through some of the holes.

Hole 10 Par 5 Purple Tees 538 yds

If the snack bar is open it is right next to this tee box. Hey look another huge fairway with a stupid desert hazard right in the middle of it. I don't understand the need for something like this but if that is the defense they want to play then so be it. The big issue is that this desert area is in play big time off the tee box. I put the tee at the "1 up" box but sometimes it is one more up from there. You have to fly the ball 250 to get over the desert or pick a side. The right looks super narrow and going to the left is no picnic either. To be honest from the tee box the shot does not look near as bad as this overhead. I have never really had an issue skirting to either side of the desert. I have been in the right bunkers, the desert, and way off the fairway but I have never been frozen on this tee box trying to figure out what to do. There are some big hitters that can go for this green in 2 but I now play it as a 3 shot hole. The bunkers in the front left of the green eat a lot of shots. I have also seen way too many shots come from out of the bushes on the right where the white 50yd bubble is. The tee shot is important and the 2nd shot is crucial. If you can navigate your way to having a shot into the green (or be on the green) it is good. You can make yourself look real silly if you have a slight miss on either of those 2 shots. The green itself has some specific zones but is not as difficult as some of the other greens here.

"Hold my beer" shot - Going for the green in 2. You better be a bomber.

1706887066181.png

Last edited:
I keep forgetting. I’ll make sure I do it tomorrow.

I am registered and whoever wants to tag me as a roommate can. I will have creature comforts in my room
Cuban coffee?

Perfect! I kept forgetting to check the exchange rate, so now I don't have to worry about it. I'll call Monday.

Perfect! I kept forgetting to check the exchange rate, so now I don't have to worry about it. I'll call Monday.
If it’s easier for you, I can cover you and then we can settle up at the trip.

Cholla Hole 11 Par 3 White Tees 187 yds

This is probably my favorite par 3 on Cholla. Those 3 bunkers really are distracting from the tee. The humps and bumps from those bunkers and the green being slightly elevated from the surrounding area means hitting this green is important. Anything off line will require some short game magic to get a par. The bunkers have high lips on them so they don't provide much confidence either.

1707075478154.png

Last edited:
Ok, this last stretch of holes will test your wits. You can't overpower the course here and you can't play scared here. This run until the end of the round is pretty good. There are some gimmicks but for the most part these are some pretty solid golf holes coming up.

Hole 12 Par 4 Purple Tees 361 yds

I gave you a couple of different looks at it here. First the tee shot is going uphill and there is a gap that will entice golfers. If you put yourself short of the bunker there on the right you probably will not be able to see the green for your approach shot. The further you go towards the left of the fairway the higher the ground is. The green is elevated to the area around the green (except in the back) and it is a severe slope on the right side of the green into the desert. If you miss this green going right you better hope it finds that bunker or you will be getting some scratches from all the desert plants. It seems pretty straight forward but just a little miss will ruin your score.

1707164723400.png

1707164699727.png

If it’s easier for you, I can cover you and then we can settle up at the trip.
Appreciate the offer, but the more I think about it I don't really think that it makes that much difference at the end of the day. Looking back at the last month, it has fluctuated between 0.75 and 0.74. Over the past year 0.72 and 0.76. If I was making a large purchase like a house it would matter, but for a week-long golf trip it might cost me an extra fifty bucks. I'm not sleeping on a bed of $1000 bills, but if $50 is going to break me I shouldn't be going on the trip in the first place.

But, if I do run short I know you offer preferential rates :)

Cholla Hole 11 Par 3 White Tees 187 yds

This is probably my favorite par 3 on Cholla. Those 3 bunkers really are distracting from the tee. The humps and bumps from those bunkers and the green being slightly elevated from the surrounding area means hitting this green is important. Anything off line will require some short game magic to get a par. The bunkers have high lips on them so they don't provide much confidence either.

View attachment 9240623
That bunker complex looks no bueno

I guess I will be serving as the Advance team for @Nate heading to Scottsdale EOM (2/21-25)

Cholla Hole 13 white tees 347 yds

Yet another hole with a gigantic fairway with a little piece of desert in the middle. The tree is not really an issue here but it is annoying to keep seeing stuff randomly placed in the middle of the fairway. This hole plays slightly uphill and is a great opportunity to unleash a driver. Only the left fairway bunker is in play on a good shot. The other bunkers are just there to mess with your head and they do a good job of it. If you are on the right side of this fairway the bunker out by the 50 yd white balloon will block your view of the green. This green is large and pretty flat.

1707365466337.png

Back