Driver Shaft flex vs. Swing Speed

85mph, fit into a 60g stiff thats' soft stepped 1/2" to play between stiff and regular. I'm old and that fitting was over 2 years ago when I was averaging 91mph. I think it's starting to be too much shaft for me now so I probably need another fitting.

95-100, 47 g speeder in a sr flex. Actually took the back weight out of my LTDX to increase speed. Most play a flex that is counter to creating speed. Se long drive participants.

95-100 and I play a regular flex 64g.

@JB, with an A flex, do you look for lower launch or spin than you would normally play?

105-110. Stiff flex.

95-100 and I play a regular flex 64g.

@JB, with an A flex, do you look for lower launch or spin than you would normally play?
I’m the wrong person to ask as I don’t find shafts influence that tremendously

Mid-80's, regular 50g

105-108ish. 60g S in most shafts

85-90, 55g regular flex.

Last driver fitting was 3 years ago.
SS was 89-92, fit to Oban Devotion 6 (66g) stiff in a G425 LST head, which is a heavy head. 45"
Clear winner for consistent delivery and efficiency, resulting in distance.
I've lost some speed and recent moved to the same shaft in regular flex. Still my favorite.
Apparently I'm an anomaly.

Last edited:
I will prolly catch some heat here from some of Y'all - but in all my years of watching and talking to fellow amateurs -- 80% of guys are swinging too stiff of a shaft - I am talking golf shaft here - not the other. I say this because I have let some of them swing my A Flex drivers -- and they go WOW! That is so smooth and look how far it went. And the other additional benefit -- a lot less joint pain will result if a lighter flex is used.

I get fitted for the 1st time for a driver in 19 days. I have picked up a push recently, and someone said it might be because of the stiff shaft. I have lost some SS in the 5 years since I bought my current driver. Any chance they are correct?

yes - my joints agree but I am old - you might be young.
Im not young, but I am not sure how flex (which is different in every shaft) would play to the joints. Graphite vs steel, absolutely.

Im not young, but I am not sure how flex (which is different in every shaft) would play to the joints. Graphite vs steel, absolutely.

You sure about that?

i swing about 105 with driver and typically use heavier stiffs. For example right now i use a 75g Tensei blue in driver.

In irons i like mid launch mid weight. AMT White, Nippon 120 etc

Yes. Absolutely sure.

Great - so am I -- And since the OP mentioned Driver for this discussion I was not even considering Steel driver shafts.

• WTF
Reactions: JB
I agree here with this, Graphite vs steel as do (I believe) most others. I have to assume that @CorvetteGuy means that he does not need to swing as hard to get the results he wants/gets using a lighter flex. If that is not what he means then I am stumped, in my experience I see no correlation as an older guy with various issues in the flex of the shaft and it affects those issues. Now, the shaft weight may have an affect - but that (to me) again seems to apply to the speed/effort of the swing not the shaft flex.

My swing is high 80s to low 90s, I have been fit last year for an R flex slightly heavier shaft but as the season progressed I have purchased and demoed a few lighter flex and lighter weight shafts looking for some of the elusive missing distance, so I think, if it were today, I would be about a Sr or Lt flex but 60 or thereabout weight shaft.

im cruising at about 103 but I can gorilla it up to 112mph, im employing the 40TX in Vanquish and I have a Vanquish 40S that im trying out.....in the Brava line I played last year, I preferred the stiff flex over the xflex.....it never occurred to me to even try softer flexes but I was on vacation and hated the rental set ( my clubs were delayed by the airlines ) so much that I decided to play my girlfriends clubs and it was a eyeopener, I loved the way her clubs felt, I could smoothly swing all day !

I'm right around 110mph, +/- a couple depending on the day, and I'm currently gaming a Tensei 1K Black 65 stiff flex. Was previously gaming a HZRDUS Black 60 6.0 (stiff) but in a recent lesson my pro found it to be breaking down a bit directionally.

That said, my pro is actually recommending a change to X with increases in speed over the past year - when I first started seeing him about 2 years ago, I was floating around 102mph with occasional big swings near 105mph. We were seeing on the order of 112mph a few weeks back, and he plugged a 1K Black 65 X flex into a TSR3 to rave results, but I had a stiff flex lying around and so we plugged that in as a stopgap. Want to be sure things don't change before I go dropping coin on a different setup.

I don't recall my swing speed candidly- the last three fittings have put me in either S or X with no real differentiator between the two from a performance standpoint.

Side note- 0 joint pain with any of them.

I keep hearing that ideally you want a shaft with as much flex as you can reasonably keep under control.
Is that a good way of thinking about it?

I keep hearing that ideally you want a shaft with as much flex as you can reasonably keep under control.
Is that a good way of thinking about it?
You could say the same thing in reverse too. You want as soft a flex as you could control.

A very famous tour fitter once said. "If I give you a golf club and the shaft moves too much, you will tell me the shaft is weak. If I give you a golf club and its too stout, you will tell me you dont like the feel of the club."

Back