Should short knockers play faster than bombers?

Short knockers should play faster than big hitters.

• Yes

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • Lemme explain

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
We have a wide membership here. Thoughts please.

Yes?

They should because they would have to wait less for greens to clear on par 5, drives on some dog legs, and they usually keep the ball in front of them.

My answer isn't up there. I guess it should be in Lemme explain.....

IF you are playing the appropriate tees for your skill level (carry distance, handicap, blah blah blah) should the time played be the same?

I honestly don't think this is a relevant metric (driving distance) provided people are within relative standard deviation norms

I put no, because distance off the tee has no real bearing on pace of play in my experience coaching golfers all across the distance spectrum.

They should because they would have to wait less for greens to clear on par 5, drives on some dog legs, and they usually keep the ball in front of them.
So if all that's true, which it might be, should they be moving at a faster pace than everyone else? Or should they match the pace of those around them?

I put no, because distance off the tee has no real bearing on pace of play in my experience coaching golfers all across the distance spectrum.

THANK YOU

I completely disagree. I challenge anyone hitting it 185 from the up tees to add blind doglegs and 300+ drives to every one of their tee shots and keep the same pace.

It will not happen.

I don't think there should be any difference, as long as you're playing tees appropriate for your game. Don't be the jackass playing from the tips at 7000 yards when you drive the ball 180 - you're going to have a long day, and so is everybody behind you.

I think in most cases, slow play has a lot more to do with a lot of other things besides how far you hit the ball - or even what you score.

No, we have to take 5-10 more shots to finish on average based on handicap charts tied to distance that I have seen.

I completely disagree. I challenge anyone hitting it 185 from the up tees to add blind doglegs and 300+ drives to every one of their tee shots and keep the same pace.

It will not happen.
You can disagree all you want, I’ve seen it. Distance off the tee has no real hard and fast rule on how fast someone plays people who have the ball far can also play slow as hell.

So if all that's true, which it might be, should they be moving at a faster pace than everyone else? Or should they match the pace of those around them?

If they were the only group out there faster but if it’s a full tee sheet they should match the pace

You can disagree all you want, I’ve seen it. Distance off the tee has no real hard and fast rule on how fast someone plays people who have the ball far can also play slow as hell.
I will disagree until my dying breath because I see it every day. They're literally playing a shorter course, and as others have said have to wait less and keep the ball in from of them more. Slow people play slow, but that's not the deciding factor here.

They should be keeping pace with everybody in their group, and with the group ahead of them. Whatever it takes for them to do that. If everybody is playing ready golf it shouldn't ever be a problem.

I can hit the ball far off the tee (longer than average), but I sure can lose a bunch of them if I want too. It's like my golf clubs just want me to buy golf balls so they can't be replaced because my wallet is empty. :ROFLMAO:

I will disagree until my dying breath because I see it every day. They're literally playing a shorter course, and as others have said have to wait less and keep the ball in from of them more. Slow people play slow, but that's not the deciding factor here.
Cool.

That is your experience, that does not make my experience invalid or incorrect no matter how much you lean on that dying breath.

It will not happen.

You know i love both of you in exactly equal measures....but i'm with @Jman on this one.

It evens out. Shorter hitters lose less balls, they hit it less offline just due to math. If they are ready to play they can play pretty fast just because of keeping it in play.

A monster hitter a couple of times a round is gonna need his 5 minutes finding a ball here or there.

I think it evens out. I've played with all kinds. Heck i've carried it 310 and carried it 250 in my golf life. I'm not sure it made a difference to pace.

And i'm not playing favorites here. Me and JMAN are fighting right now over the divots thing. We're frenemies at best right now

Slow golfers are gonna be slow. I’ve seen short knockers play faster and slower. Just because they hit it shorter and don’t have to wait for their next shot doesn’t mean they’re fast.

Short hitters SHOULD be slower if everyone is playing ready golf and they are the first group.
But, it evens out on a crowded course waiting for greens to clear. They get to take the extra shot when the bomber has to wait.
But, there are prima Donna big hitters that take a stupid pre shot routine
Just as there is tr short hitter who spends forever on the putting green trying to save par.
So in the real world, there is zero chance of there being an absolute answer to this question.

Cool.

That is your experience, that does not make my experience invalid or incorrect no matter how much you lean on that dying breath.
Yep. No more than you immediately saying "you can disagree all you want" invalidates mine.

Yep. No more than you immediately saying "you can disagree all you want" invalidates mine.

Clearly, you want some sort of fight. I’m not going to give that to you though. Me saying that in invalidates absolutely nothing, rather it actually accepts that you have a different opinion, and that it’s ok.

You know i love both of you in exactly equal measures....but i'm with @Jman on this one.

It evens out. Shorter hitters lose less balls, they hit it less offline just due to math. If they are ready to play they can play pretty fast just because of keeping it in play.

A monster hitter a couple of times a round is gonna need his 5 minutes finding a ball here or there.

I think it evens out. I've played with all kinds. Heck i've carried it 310 and carried it 250 in my golf life. I'm not sure it made a difference to pace.

And i'm not playing favorites here. Me and JMAN are fighting right now over the divots thing. We're frenemies at best right now
Yeah there's a can and should here. The question is should. I believe the absolutely can, I'm just not sure they should. Any more than someone should play slower than pace at least.

Last edited:
No bc you can play the same pace despite how far or how far you don’t hit it.

It is not necessarily long hitters vs short hitters in regards to time, it is strokes taken. Since so many players are pushing for 3-4 hour rounds, then I'd say, yes that higher handicappers should take less time per shot. The fact is that it does take more time to play more strokes. If you compare two golfers, one that shoots 95 and one that shoots 75, but had the exact same shot time, the player that shoots 95 would take significantly longer to play their shots.

For example, let's say both players had a shot time of let say 45 seconds (pre-shot time and shot time), the player that shoots 95 would take 71.25 minutes to play all their shots, compared to the player who shoots 75 that their total shot time is 56.25 minutes. The player that shoots 95 would take 15 minutes longer to play their shots. That is significant.

That being said, I'm not into speed golf. I like just steady paced rounds that are not too slow and not too fast. 4-5 hour rounds are fine with me.

Last edited:
Back