My Backyard Putting Green Project

They started on Tuesday and with no rain said they'd be done by Friday. It's supposed to rain this afternoon and all day tomorrow.

I just saw the truck pull away - and the guy installing the lighting on my house and for the green (separate contractor) told me that the green guys are having trouble with a piece of gear. No word from their super.

That is awesome. I used to have an artificial green that was smaller than that it was 15 by 30. We moved though and I had to leave it behind.
My green is only going to be 15 x 20. I wanted some room to chip.

Following this one for sure. I'm in the process of putting a playscape in for the kiddos with an eye on the future - using this nice, dugout, level area for a putting green.

This is awesome. Keep taking photos along the way for us!

They started on Tuesday and with no rain said they'd be done by Friday. It's supposed to rain this afternoon and all day tomorrow.

I just saw the truck pull away - and the guy installing the lighting on my house and for the green (separate contractor) told me that the green guys are having trouble with a piece of gear. No word from their super.
Wow, lighted too! Nice!

Day 1 in the books:

1709677236099.jpeg

1709677270410.jpeg

1709677313320.jpeg

The retaining wall will also be lit:

1709677519738.jpeg

And we will be getting free relief from these:

1709677568615.jpeg

1709677588357.jpeg

If you are interested in the up lighting we are installing - here's the front of the house:

1709685305053.jpeg

I tol' the wifey that the new lighting makes the wreaths on the door look like the eyes of a frowny face. She was not amused. I think we need to adjust the lights above the porch a bit ....

Here's the before pic:

1709685555393.png

Awesome and can’t wait to see the results. love mine and use it all the time.
IMG_8519.pngIMG_0381.jpegIMG_0363.jpeg

We don’t have lights yet. Just use the Honda generator and spot lamps so far. 🤣

IMG_3626.jpeg

I am interested to see the cup layouts you all have chosen. Send all you got, please.

I have a backyard putting green using STI products. It turned out really nice. I was very picky about the fill that was used, how it was tamped, how it drained away from the house and most importantly the undulations. I only have one area on the green that is a straight putt. You can either putt up hill or down hill.

If you have any questions I’d be willing to help!
IMG_1475.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a backyard putting green using STI products. It turned out really nice. I was very picky about the fill that was used, how it was tamped, how it drained away from the house and most importantly the undulations. I only have one area on the green that is a straight putt. You can either putt up hill or down hill.

If you have any questions I’d be willing to help!
Thanks for the offer and I'm glad the STI products have met your approval. I think one is all the straight putts you need. I like the staggered cup placement in the photos above - I will probably do something similar.

When we built the house 5 years ago - I spent a ton of money making sure water drained away from the foundation. You can see one of the drain boxes in the picutures near the back corner of the retaining wall. Theres going to have to be most of the slope going that way - and the project superintendant says it's not going to be an issue.

Thanks for the offer and I'm glad the STI products have met your approval. I think one is all the straight putts you need. I like the staggered cup placement in the photos above - I will probably do something similar.

When we built the house 5 years ago - I spent a ton of money making sure water drained away from the foundation. You can see one of the drain boxes in the picutures near the back corner of the retaining wall. Theres going to have to be most of the slope going that way - and the project superintendant says it's not going to be an issue.

That's great. I would ask him what kind of rock and such he plans to use under the putting mat. We did 3 different types of rock material with the top layer almost being like a fine chat. We used fine sand that was dyed green as well when it was first laid down to fill in anything that was missed. Our putting green rolls at about a 10 or 11. Everything was tamped with a power tamp so that it won't settle. We have a friend who did one and they didn't use as much of the finer rock and tamp as much and you can see rock bumps under their mat. I don't remember exactly how deep our rock bed went, but it was pretty deep (I'm thinking it was over a foot). This June will be our 4th summer with it and it still looks as good as it did the day we put it in. We will put a roller on it ourselves every so often, but it's been generally very trouble free.

That's great. I would ask him what kind of rock and such he plans to use under the putting mat. We did 3 different types of rock material with the top layer almost being like a fine chat. We used fine sand that was dyed green as well when it was first laid down to fill in anything that was missed. Our putting green rolls at about a 10 or 11. Everything was tamped with a power tamp so that it won't settle. We have a friend who did one and they didn't use as much of the finer rock and tamp as much and you can see rock bumps under their mat. I don't remember exactly how deep our rock bed went, but it was pretty deep (I'm thinking it was over a foot). This June will be our 4th summer with it and it still looks as good as it did the day we put it in. We will put a roller on it ourselves every so often, but it's been generally very trouble free.
So far, there have been two types of rocks delivered to the site. I'll ask about the third once I see how that second layer looks. Thanks for that heads up.

These guys did my neighbors and his is fine.

I asked for the green to roll at a 10 to match as close as possible my club's greens.

So far, there have been two types of rocks delivered to the site. I'll ask about the third once I see how that second layer looks. Thanks for that heads up.

These guys did my neighbors and his is fine.

I asked for the green to roll at a 10 to match as close as possible my club's greens.

Enjoy it!

LOL. I love the worker taking a break and getting in some putting practice. Too funny.
No he was making the breaks. Each hole has a break except really 1. Each hole has a name. The worst one is on a slight hill. If you go past it your ball is gone. We call that hole free fall.

Rained out - no progress today ...

1709773132328.jpeg

My guess is we will finish up next Tuesdayish:

1709773221388.png

Reactions: J4U
I am interested to see the cup layouts you all have chosen. Send all you got, please.
The three holes are at the widest portion, at the bottom of the slight grade. The two at the "top." Their positions, combined with the grade, allow for many interesting angles of approach and with varying turn to the putts. 5.5 years now, I'm still very satisfied with the holes' layout.
eea96abd16604b33c6a8346e3aafbc6f.jpg
e3a369472d6b32efe9b7542253ec3857.jpg

Super excited about this, I had a bunch of ponds in my yard when I bought this house. Those areas have been a chicken coop, playground, and a trampoline. I’ve been contemplating a putting green!

Today is the beginning of the installation. We are using STI products. The putting surface will be the NP45 - set up to roll around a 10 - with 4 lit cups. The rough will be their Bermuda clone. It's going to take up the entirety of what I have as a backyard. Here are the before pix (foggy morning):
Btw

if you want to do any custom tee box markers, flags, putting green accessories I have been using these people. I email a sales rep named Tony who went above and beyond to make these tee markers. Currently I am working on doing a sign right now. This place was recommended by the manager at LPGA the course I play here in FL. They do all the tee markers and signs for LPGA.

IMG_1108.jpeg

Btw

if you want to do any custom tee box markers, flags, putting green accessories I have been using these people. I email a sales rep named Tony who went above and beyond to make these tee markers. Currently I am working on doing a sign right now. This place was recommended by the manager at LPGA the course I play here in FL. They do all the tee markers and signs for LPGA.

View attachment 9246946
Thanks. I was just looking at custom flag stick flags last night.

Back