What Are You Working On?

Keeping from crowding the ball and making sure my grip is nice and neutral. Also keeping the weight on the inside of the trail foot during the backswing, so that I can make a nice weight shift on the downswing without getting stuck.

Still working on putting..... replaced my old birdie ball putting mat (which was shot) with a new Putt Out mat and added an alignment mirror to the mix. I don't have the time to go to the range or simulator, due to my work schedule over the winter time, but i do have time to putt for 30 minutes a day or more at home.

Still fighting ro get the new grip to take. It is showing climpses of being really good (irons especially), but driver has gone haywire.

Stick with it, keep working, the failure is all working up to a big change.

Feeling my feeling For me
Difference between a hook and draw feel is a draw I feel like inside to inside swing inside a barrel. ( square face throughout the swing)
Hook is a wider swing and I going from inside to slightly out side the target line and release the club with slightly closed clubface to the target line

This is what I've been doing to train pivot-down:

working on My irons
pushing 20 yards right then 20 yards left
rhythm felt fine
I adjusted my grip so had a closed clubface at 45 degrees
my left thumb diagonal and closer to 1 o clock and equal pressure against my right middle and ring fingers
this keep me from turn the club over to quickly causing the hook
closed clubface keeps my ball from pushing to the right

To avoid slicing my pitch and driver I keep my front elbow soft and primarily hold the club with hypothenar muscles feeling that would be where my hand pressure be greatest at impact

Took a lesson this morning. Woody pushes me to work with my swing as is, while I am more inclined to keep trying to transform my swing. It makes for an interesting dynamic. As usual, he identified a couple of simple but impactful things for me to work on. I was getting my weight too far forward and losing balance through the swing. Easy fix, hello heels. He also had me keep my right thumb with pressure on the shaft and use that thumb like a spring backboard at the top of the swing. That was an interesting change. At first I started cutting everything, which was the point since we were working to take away the left miss. Once I got used to it, the thumb change definitely helped me better control face to path. Last change surprised me. I have worked on keeping my hands lower through impact but apparently overdid it. Bringing the hands up a touch brought me back into a more comfortable impact position.

And, good old Woody did a classic Montana thing. He told me I didn't need a new driver. Gotta love these high quality people who value integrity and outcomes more than greed. I hope he can stay in business! 😁 Ps. I'm still getting a new driver, just not today.

Shot game. In a synopsis. I work either the toe or the heel of the club. If I want a soft gentle roll, I work the toe. If I want heavy roll I will work the heel.

Chipping 20 yards or closer on off camber lies without chunking/digging.

Getting my fade back in the short irons. I might need to make a trip up the coast to go see my old coach because I cant figure out why I am drawing them all the time, even when I am trying to let them bleed a little.

This weekend I started working on touch shots with my wedges and playing around with different shots. I want to be able to take a bigger swing but slow the speed down so I’m not crushing the ball. It just comes down to understanding the swing and trying to keep control at a different tempo

Connection. When weight transfer got wonky, so too did me staying connected.

It’s a process, and I hate it.

Also REALLY working partial wedges and practicing being able to hit more than one wedge a given distance. For example, I’ve been working on being able to hit 54, 50, and PW on shots from 100-120

Connection. When weight transfer got wonky, so too did me staying connected.

It’s a process, and I hate it.

Also REALLY working partial wedges and practicing being able to hit more than one wedge a given distance. For example, I’ve been working on being able to hit 54, 50, and PW on shots from 100-120
For the second thing, is part of that also learning to decide which wedge is appropriate for the situation? I know personally if I have a clear line at the pin I prefer to go with a 52° whereas if there’s a bunker guarding it I’ll elect to go 56°

For the second thing, is part of that also learning to decide which wedge is appropriate for the situation? I know personally if I have a clear line at the pin I prefer to go with a 52° whereas if there’s a bunker guarding it I’ll elect to go 56°
It’s a versatility thing, yeah. I want the situation to dictate the club more, rather than having to force a square peg in a round hole because “it’s 115, I have to hit my 115 club”. A lot of that too has been my revelation that I need to heed more attention to (on my home course specifically) staying under the hole as much as possible, because above the hole it gets scary haha

It’s a versatility thing, yeah. I want the situation to dictate the club more, rather than having to force a square peg in a round hole because “it’s 115, I have to hit my 115 club”. A lot of that too has been my revelation that I need to heed more attention to (on my home course specifically) staying under the hole as much as possible, because above the hole it gets scary haha
Nothing scarier than a downhill slider. I was kind of battling the opposite in the past. I’d leave so many chips short because I was scared to roll past the hole. It was a mindset shift to be comfortable with rolling past the hole. Part of that is why I went 18 months without a chip in

For me being able to use multiple wedges for the same distance is imperative. Its a matter of controlling spin.

After a recent lesson, the keys are weight shift, getting the upper body turn to catch up to the lower body turn, and not letting the hands get outside the line.

foot work
For lobs and fades I been keep my weight on my right for what feels like most of the swing
For draws, closing the clubface and shuffle my front foot then back foot as part of the rhythm process with my hands/ arms
fades tend to be easier for me as I feel its more " hold off" clubface withmy hands/ arms so I keep a open clubface to my target line

foot work
For lobs and fades I been keep my weight on my right for what feels like most of the swing
For draws, closing the clubface and shuffle my front foot then back foot as part of the rhythm process with my hands/ arms
fades tend to be easier for me as I feel its more " hold off" clubface withmy hands/ arms so I keep a open clubface to my target line
I just fixed my recent lack of a fade reviewing Lee Trevinos swing. Chase it down the line, I was turning through too early.

Rhythm
fade feels like 1....2 ( 1 is back foot stomp / 2 is front scapular retraction )
draw feels like 1...2......3 ( 1 is hinge, 2 front heel step back, 3 is back heel step back )

Routine in chipping and putting
Read , squat from the low side, determine aim spot, stroke with pace

I have this goofy practice routine that is a “feel”.

Nothing goofy about exploring boundaries, that's where fun is hidden. It's a good move you have, I wouldn't mess too much with it except if tweaking for trajectory control.

Last edited:
Working on eliminating a pull with the irons. A combination of a strong grip and ball too far forward - both crept up on me over the past few months. Trying to get comfortable with adjusting my grip a little and ball centered.

Left to right breaking putts for the righty
This is instinctive not natural. Cause I like to look at the hole when I setup to the putt.
Have to train my eyes to look at a spot left of the cup and focus as my target My eyes instinctively want to look at the cup I tried to make practice strokes from behind the ball rather than beside the ball and that works better Cause I think when my eyes are parallel it wants to look the cup/stick.
When my eyes look straight on can accept a spot target

Getting consistent with the 70-130 yard range irons. Learning not to go full swing motion mode by using more of my left arm muscles and left wrist. Instead of full protraction with my left shoulder blade

Back