Putter preference…?

I am getting my first putter fitting in March. This is one of my fears, always have used a blade. Have thought I would like to look at a DB or even a Triple wide. Though that may be too close to the toaster you were talking about.

PS Scotty or Odyssey 5K? Those are my hopefuls, that I get fitted to.
I was fitted into and played a wide blade for a few years. I actually prefer the look over something skinny but I'm not a great putter. Anyways when I was fit we fit for face balance, length, lie & loft. I mostly stuck to one option but have a few that I would rotate in sometimes. Other than the speed off the face they were all similar enough not to mess with anything. My gamer at the time was a Sik DW, which is closer to the Odyssey triple wide, but I played an Odyssey double wide for a bit and also a limited Bettinardi SS9 which is similar size to a Toulon Chicago. They all had alignment lines on the flange and were adjusted to my specs (minus the loft on the Sik with the DLT face). Putted similarly with all of them. Since moved onto a mallet after my latest fitting, but still have the Sik and the Betti in my collection.

Even if I were told I’d never miss a putt, I couldn’t game a Lab Mez! I just can’t get over the look. Balance and feel might be great, but I have to use what suits my eye. The flying saucer / stealth bomber putters out there don’t do it. I love a blade but am currently considering something with more alignment aid and face balanced. In the end, if you don’t love the look, I don’t think you’ll have confidence in the putter.

1. How a putter helps you make a good stroke. Feel
2. Looks
3. Easy to align

My current gamer ain't really pretty but I make good strokes with it even when every other putter I pick up feels like a 2x4.

I’d say both but I definitely can’t use something that doesn’t fit my eye looking down. I think to some extent though, looks and performance go hand in hand person to person
I agree.
It like the acoustics of a driver that @JB talks about. If it ain’t appealing, it ain’t right.
I wouldn’t pick up a LAB branding iron or an Axis even if it magnetically put the ball in the hole every time.
I would lose confidence looking at it.

Ive always worked with the putter that LOOKS best for my eye until i had a proper fitting. The fitting showed I needed basically the polar opposite of that look and design in regards to toe hang. lol

Neither have improved my putting......sooooo
Do you think a fitting made the putter look right??
What I’m asking is, now that you know what toe hang and shape you require, are you looking for the most appealing to your eye in that category?

Putting is the easiest stroke to make in the game. It’s short, and it doesn’t take any strength or speed. I found I can easily adjust my putting stroke to work with any putter. That’s why I’ve stuck with the same putter for half a century. It’s not the putter that makes a difference, it’s me.

I agree.
It like the acoustics of a driver that @JB talks about. If it ain’t appealing, it ain’t right.
I wouldn’t pick up a LAB branding iron or an Axis even if it magnetically put the ball in the hole every time.
I would lose confidence looking at it.
LAB might be the exception for me. I don’t despise the look but the performance is really really good

It really has to do both. I can't work with something I don't like the look of but it also has to work or else it's No Bueno!!

Do you think a fitting made the putter look right??
What I’m asking is, now that you know what toe hang and shape you require, are you looking for the most appealing to your eye in that category?
Well yea. If it's fit right and looks good to my eye, that's a win win. Right?

That said, a lack of practice even combined with those things hasn't improved much of anything lol

Right now for me, it's both. My putter looks good to me and putts well. I typically don't do my part and mess it up though.

I’m sold on the #7 shape, just working on the details.

I have bounced all over and don’t really think I have a preference other than I like lots of toe hang and center shafted putters.

I have the Garsen Quad Tour saddled up on the stingray.
Let’s see what this creates on the Blast Motion. IMG_6375.jpeg

I like anser style putters, they don’t seem to like me

I play mainly blade for simplicity but have played mallet and mid mallet

Liking the look of the putter helps build confidence in it, which leads to better putting. So they’re related.

When I selected my new putter in 2011 I did so because of how it looked at setup. I was always a blade putter and when I put that new one in my hand it looked perfect. I was always very comfortable with at and, I believe, I putted very well with it.

Three days ago I took it out of my bag, replaced it with a new blade putter. I felt married to the old one, I do not feel like I'll be married to this new one. Going through this transition I'm sure there is a mallet putter in my future.

FWIW, a few years ago while participating in a THP Event in AZ I was fitted for a 7 style putter at Ping, I've never owned one.

My personal opinion is that often what looks good to your eye is what works well for you. Probably 50% of putting is confidence to be honest. If you feel comfortable with a putter you will be much more confident in making a stroke. At the same time it can look good and still be completely wrong, hence the need to get a legitimate putter fitting with someone that can analyze your putting stroke and put a putter in your hand that fits that stroke.

I think one of the reasons why a Newport is so popular is because it gives you that confidence. Is it honestly a much better putter than, say, my Mizuno OMOI II putter? To me the answer is no because I put better with the Mizuno and sold off the Scotty. But the guy that bought it loves the thing and has never putted better. He goes up there thinking he can actually make putts because he has that Scotty Cameron putter. So, for him that is the right putter. It looks right and he is comfortable with it.

I figured there would be more pros using blades

Do you putt with the putter that looks best to your eye (set-up & style)… or, one that works best?
I feel like it’s a balance of both for me. I much prefer the look of a blade, and I’ve tried mallets but didn’t see massive improvement so went back to what I preferred looking down at.

Play a blade and am very happy with it.

Im still playing my old Ping Pal 2 smooth face blade putter. I have tried others through the years but always go back to it.

I had been a mallet style for the longest time. I went and just hit for about an hour at a pga tour superstore. Tried all of them. I know a fitting is best. But I want a feel off the ball. I got lucky and someone returned a Blue Ion OMOI putter with the max weight in it. And it changed everything.

Putting to me is more personal. It’s where you have confidence. So once I found a few blades, I started hitting. and then I find one that looks different, because I like my putter to be different from everyone else. It’s my quirk.

So long winded response, I want a feel and a look.

Back