If a round is 6 hrs it sucks more to walk. That is 6 hrs of standing for me as I don't have a seat on my push cart.
100% agree. Walking may help manage a little time in between shots, but it really sucks when you’re just standing around waiting to hit and even worse if it’s hot out with no shade around you.

I’ve hit the 5 hour mark quite a few times… 6 hours once during a charity event.

Well usually just whine a bit and play on.

Adios

I have walked off more than once. One 27 hole course near me (Sycamore Hills, Macomb Twp,MI) is notorious for its piss poor management. They put people off on all 3 9's all morning, so when you make the turn after a quick front 9, your are jammed up behind the people you were following AND the people they keep sending off. Freaking ridiculous. 1.5 hour front, 4 hour back. After the 2nd time I quits going to that hell hole. Nice course, very, very, poorly run.

We hit 6 hours during our season-closing cross-country/greenskeeper's revenge event. It was painful, but we turned up the music and made the best of it.

If it was a regular round at my course, I'd be exiting stage left. If it's a course I'll never get to play again I'll stick it out, maybe THP on my phone from the fairway.....

We have 6 hour rounds at our place all the time in the summer. As one person said..” call the pro shop repeats until someone comes out… play skipped holes later…”. Yeah, I don’t know where that guy plays😂😂… not happening. Our place gets like that , no where to go… if I were playing, I’d simply finish and never go back. We have marahalls but people are just awful golfers. Beginners mid day on the weekend that have never played before. People playing the wrong tees and because they “paid their money I can do what I want” attitude , the place gets jammed up. We’ll get a 4 group back up at the turn because God for I’d should you not have a meal and grab 3 buckets of beer for the back 9. Probably one of the things that separates them from your players. So it’s slooooow…. But……….

Most people now don’t care. I would, and like I said, I’d never go back. But we get ZERO complaints on a 6 hour round. Ok, maybe 1 and we tell them that you people do it to yourselves. Another problem is nobody new to golf knows how long a round should take. The mentality is “ I’m here for the day”. That’s also why I would NEVER play on a weekend. That’s public golf for you. We do 800 rounds on a summer weekend and are turning people away… 6 hour rounds scares off very few people… they are there for the day!!!!! Unfortunately, the people who planned 4.5 hours of golf amd then other activities are screwed
But hey, you're "growing the game"! It's happened here too.

In the late 80’s, it was happening way too often. I quit after 6 holes on one memorable round when it took over 2 and a half hours to get that far. That was a big reason I gave up the game for many years and bought a fishing boat. Now that I’m retired and only play on weekdays, it never happens to me.

If a round is 6 hrs it sucks more to walk. That is 6 hrs of standing for me as I don't have a seat on my push cart.
My buddies I play with here all drive carts, I make them get up so I can sit down once in a while if we're waiting. :LOL:

My course also has benches at some of the tee boxes so walkers can grab a seat if they need to.

Enjoy being a part of a THP Experience

A couple of times this week I’ve yelled “Let’s go!” at the group in front of us.

The 3 hour pace for 9 with a couple open holes in front I just lost patience. Not normally something I do. Just standing around chatting with nobody in the way. Frustrating.

It's threads like this that make me think about getting the seat for my Nitron.

I have walked off more than once. One 27 hole course near me (Sycamore Hills, Macomb Twp,MI) is notorious for its piss poor management. They put people off on all 3 9's all morning, so when you make the turn after a quick front 9, your are jammed up behind the people you were following AND the people they keep sending off. Freaking ridiculous. 1.5 hour front, 4 hour back. After the 2nd time I quits going to that hell hole. Nice course, very, very, poorly run.
With Sunnybrook sadly being a distant memory (my course growing up), I typically end up playing Sycamore when I'm visiting my parents and I hate it every time.

My original home course was notorious for this, would book tee times seven minutes apart. It would never fail, I’d get stuck behind someone slow while being pushed from behind. Even got hit into at times even though anyone with a brain would recognize we were stuck ourselves. No marshalls.

My new home course is great, multiple marshalls and terrific pace of play. It’s not as easy to get tee times but that’s the price to pay, more than worth it.

Both slow play and getting pushed messes up my game.

If I’m on the course finishing 9 at 3 hrs I’m out.

Unless it was a special course I’d head to the pro shop and ask for a refund.

Certainly would depend on where in at on the course. I may first try and call the clubhouse to call a marshal out and let me know what's up.

Then? If nothing changes? I'm dipping.

If it's a special course or event, I'm finishing, but miserable waiting for every shot.

My original home course was notorious for this, would book tee times seven minutes apart. It would never fail, I’d get stuck behind someone slow while being pushed from behind. Even got hit into at times even though anyone with a brain would recognize we were stuck ourselves. No marshalls.

My new home course is great, multiple marshalls and terrific pace of play. It’s not as easy to get tee times but that’s the price to pay, more than worth it.

Both slow play and getting pushed messes up my game.

7 minute tee times are the worst. It's impossible for 7-minute tee times to work on a full tee sheet. Pretty soon it'll back up and there just isn't anywhere to go.

There's a course we had to take out of our rotation because it' was always 5 1/2 hours. And the way it's laid out, you don't see the #2 tee box from the green. You'll go down the tree lined path and often find groups backed up on the #2 tee.

We have 6 hour rounds at our place all the time in the summer. As one person said..” call the pro shop repeats until someone comes out… play skipped holes later…”. Yeah, I don’t know where that guy plays😂😂… not happening. Our place gets like that , no where to go… if I were playing, I’d simply finish and never go back. We have marahalls but people are just awful golfers. Beginners mid day on the weekend that have never played before. People playing the wrong tees and because they “paid their money I can do what I want” attitude , the place gets jammed up. We’ll get a 4 group back up at the turn because God for I’d should you not have a meal and grab 3 buckets of beer for the back 9. Probably one of the things that separates them from your players. So it’s slooooow…. But……….

Most people now don’t care. I would, and like I said, I’d never go back. But we get ZERO complaints on a 6 hour round. Ok, maybe 1 and we tell them that you people do it to yourselves. Another problem is nobody new to golf knows how long a round should take. The mentality is “ I’m here for the day”. That’s also why I would NEVER play on a weekend. That’s public golf for you. We do 800 rounds on a summer weekend and are turning people away… 6 hour rounds scares off very few people… they are there for the day!!!!! Unfortunately, the people who planned 4.5 hours of golf amd then other activities are screwed

My buddy and I have been paired up with new/covid boom 'return to the game' golfers 3 times this year.

All of them were very nice. But I was surprised they were playing courses that weren't beginner friendly at peak times. And some are still learning the etiquette rhythm of the game. Some were good in that they'd eventually pick up. Others would earn every bit of that 12.

We've all been there as beginners. And we all have bad days. But it's hard to get in a rhythm when you feel like you're holding up play (even though you're not) and you find yourself rushing to make up for the group.

Last week we were waiting on every box. But then the group behind us would pull up and see guys 40 yards down the fairway topping a ball and think we were the cause of the slow down.

Walk off.
Go to the pro shop for 9 hole credit.
I do it for 5 hr rounds.
If there are 3or more groups on a tee anywhere on the course, I’m out!
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Last edited:
This isn't uncommon on early morning rounds here on courses that don't take tee times. I've walked off before. I've finished before. Depends on the company a lot of times

I’m out after 9. Or if it’s my home course, probably out after hole 7, which ends by the clubhouse.

7 minute tee times are the worst. It's impossible for 7-minute tee times to work on a full tee sheet. Pretty soon it'll back up and there just isn't anywhere to go.

There's a course we had to take out of our rotation because it' was always 5 1/2 hours. And the way it's laid out, you don't see the #2 tee box from the green. You'll go down the tree lined path and often find groups backed up on the #2 tee.
My course is 6 minute tee times and still maintains a reasonable pace of play most of the time. My previous club had 12 minute tee times and the pace there was about the same, if not a little worse.

Slow golfers are going to be slow no matter what the tee time intervals are. If it's 6 minute intervals and everybody keeps their pace up, it should (in theory) be a crowded but fast moving course. As soon as one group starts lollygagging, everybody behind them suffers. It doesn't matter if it's 15 minute tee times - all it takes is one slow group, everybody behind them catches up and you have a mess on your hands.

When you think about it, a foursome playing a 4:00 pace will take an average of somewhere around 13 minutes to play a hole (a little less on par 3s, a little more on par 5s, so it evens out). So 12 minute tee times are going to give you just less than a 1 hole gap between groups. If you're playing efficiently, you can make up a one hole gap on a slower moving group really quickly. So we're going to have one, maybe two holes, where we can play faster, and then we're caught up behind them and waiting on every shot. If we had started at 6 minute gaps, we'd be in the exact same place, we just wouldn't have had those one or two holes at the beginning where we could move freely.

Back