The Masters is in a slump

I thought last 6 holes apart it was one of the better ones. All very close the first few days and we got to see some artistry as the better players navigated the tough conditions with skill as opposed to just hammering he ball.

My biggest takeaway was JT, Jordan, Clark, Hovland, Harman and Burns missing cut and TW coming in dead last.

3 out of 13 LIV guys finishing top 10.

There was lots of discussion about TW and consecutive cuts but no conversation about someone with most cuts.

Congratulations to Phil for another Masters cut.
View attachment 9257381
The guys LIV signed should be eating this tournament up. If they struggle at The Masters they are really going to struggle at the other 3 majors IMO. DJ looks like he hasn't practiced since he signed his deal. Rahm looked like a man with a lot of regrets. Rumors today that Rory is about to sign for $850 million. Honestly to me that would just further lock in my perspective that LIV is for guys who don't want to grind anymore. Also that the Saudi's are just jock sniffig at this point cause LIV will never make ROI at that level of investment.

Sure none of the LIV guys had a chance to win after Dechambeau bombed early in the final round, but 3 of the top 10 isn't that poor for the LIV guys.
I think the guys they have invested in should be really good in particular at this tourney. Given that they bombed this year IMO.

If you walk Augusta National, you'll understand why. The course has insane hills. The terrain is a major factor.
This is why The Masters (for me) is the greatest major there is.

Hills can be fun if you know how to play them. I play a hilly course. When it rains the low grass gets soggy while the high grass stays dry.
If you hit the ball long on half the holes you may lose it in the woods.
Definitely an advantage to being able to work the ball into the right spots. Accuracy becomes more of a factor.
As well as course knowlege as to where the ball will roll.

What some people see as arrogance I see as class and decency. It is more than welcome.

The course is so hard that par is a very good score on most holes. That can make it seem boring. We have to appreciate iron shots to the right quadrant of the green and masterful chip/pitch shots and defensive putts. Players have to master all elements of their game. That is a lot more nuanced than watching people go low. I think it’s fabulous.

This is the best major by a long shot.

They try to class it up and are an elite group of members for sure. I find it a nice change from, lets say the Phoenix Open. It’s only once a year.
Elite group of racists? Boring entitled tour, mens that is. About as exciting as constipation, and announcers are Ancient, irrelevant.

He played a great round and none of the other leaders did. 11 & 12 ruined a lot of contenders days.

Scottie birdied 13, 14 and 16. Sure the other golfers blew up but he didn't just hang on to win. He is just playing at another level currently so unless becoming a new dad throws him get ready for a boring Major season. Scottie could run the table.
6 birdies from 8 through 16 including the tap in and three shot swing versus Morikawa on 9.

One thing that impressed me was his ability to bounce back immediately from a bad hole or a missed short putt.

I thought the Masters were great. Like others have side pro golf is in a slump in general. I dont think it has anything to do with the winner winning by 4 strokes. Look at the numbers Tiger put up when running away with it.

Scottie put on a show the back nine. I think we need to appreciate this run.

I think golf is in a slump.. the masters is not exempt. I thought the week was pretty fun.
More like a death spiral. Move the tour to Dubai.

I thought the Masters were great. Like others have side pro golf is in a slump in general. I dont think it has anything to do with the winner winning by 4 strokes. Look at the numbers Tiger put up when running away with it.

Scottie put on a show the back nine. I think we need to appreciate this run.
I agree. It was a very hard test of golf and didn't know for sure Scottie had it until his bunker shot on 15

The LIV split hurt all of golf, not this tournament.

I fell asleep a couple times and I'm very grateful for any nap I can get, but that combined with everyone around me being completely over it well before it was finished I didn't take as signs of must-watch excitement.

Not that I expected any. It was fine. Like most big events.
Tired American Horror Story GIF by AHS

If you walk Augusta National, you'll understand why. The course has insane hills. The terrain is a major factor.
This is why The Masters (for me) is the greatest major there is.
You get a different perspective having been there. I always tell people that it’s much more hillier than it appears on TV.

Men's pro golf is in a deep rut. That the PGA would allow behavior such as Phoenix, and sell out to Arabs is mind blowing. I miss Tiger's emotion and energetic smile. Watching him limp and grimace isn't boring, it's pathetic. Scotty is like that metal robot on the driving range. Pure excitement and a cure for insomnia. The women's tour is more interesting.

What some people see as arrogance I see as class and decency. It is more than welcome.

The course is so hard that par is a very good score on most holes. That can make it seem boring. We have to appreciate iron shots to the right quadrant of the green and masterful chip/pitch shots and defensive putts. Players have to master all elements of their game. That is a lot more nuanced than watching people go low. I think it’s fabulous.

This is the best major by a long shot.
You've got it backwards. Typical tour events leading to minus 25 and drive sand wedge on every hole is boring.

LIV is for guys who don't want to grind anymore
I don’t want to grind any more. Hey LIV I’m open to contract negotiations. I’ll start $85,000,000. That’s only 10% of the $850m Rory rumor.

The only level lie on the entire course at Augusta National are the tee boxes. The course is like a roller coaster. It is a very tough walk, and even tougher to play.

The guys LIV signed should be eating this tournament up. If they struggle at The Masters they are really going to struggle at the other 3 majors IMO. DJ looks like he hasn't practiced since he signed his deal. Rahm looked like a man with a lot of regrets. Rumors today that Rory is about to sign for $850 million. Honestly to me that would just further lock in my perspective that LIV is for guys who don't want to grind anymore. Also that the Saudi's are just jock sniffig at this point cause LIV will never make ROI at that level of investment.

I saw that being thrown out today also (the Rory thing) --That would be a crazy story.

I don't think think LIV is going to generate profit for a long time regardless....they are well into loss leader territory here

I saw that being thrown out today also (the Rory thing) --That would be a crazy story.

I don't think think LIV is going to generate profit for a long time regardless....they are well into loss leader territory here
At their level of investment to this point I don’t think they can generate profit unless they generate more interest than the Tour had pre split. I don’t think that’s happening ever so they will never make ROI IMO.

Scheffler’s tap in birdie on 9 and Morikawa’s double there was the beginning of the end. Scheffler didn’t let up and no one was able to get close to his lead.
Right. At one time late on the front, 4 players were at -6. Scottie birdied 8, 9 and 10, and Morikawa shat himself knowing he needed to hit the bunker shot close to save par to Scottie's tap-in. Homa and Aberg played 8. 9 and 10 1 under. Aberg's 2nd at 11 and Homa's tee ball at 12 did them in. At that point, they needed help from Scottie and didn't get it or play well enough to make him sweat
Not sure how to word it properly but the Masters comes off as a very uppity or a pretentious tournament.
There's always the Wasted Management, the British or pretty much any other tour stop. The Masters is a rarity. It has and enforces its standards and that is part of the attraction along with the exclusivity, tradition and history. To me, that is a good thing.
Well, that would be what makes it special. They show us every year what a tournament can be if you demand (and can afford) perfection. It's like Disney from the old days running a golf tournament. It's the most special tournament on the most special course, and they let the average Joe who can get a ticket come experience it. Yeah, the people who run it run in much difference circles from us regular folks, but for a week they welcome us in and make sure we enjoy ourselves.
Agreed. There plenty of tournaments where folks can go and let their hair down, talk away on their cell phones or pretend to be great videographers, or, in some cases, behave poorly. I find the one week respite very enjoyable.

Men's pro golf is in a deep rut. That the PGA would allow behavior such as Phoenix, and sell out to Arabs is mind blowing. I miss Tiger's emotion and energetic smile. Watching him limp and grimace isn't boring, it's pathetic. Scotty is like that metal robot on the driving range. Pure excitement and a cure for insomnia. The women's tour is more interesting.

Have you considered pickle ball?

Halftime Show Yes GIF by E*TRADE from Morgan Stanley

I'll disagree. The course played spectacular. Every hole asked you the question "Can you execute this golf shot?" Saturday separated the contenders from the pretenders and Sunday wasn't much different. If you like real golf, shots with consequence to a mishit or miscalculation, and ultimately seeing someone overcome all of those obstacles, I think this Masters was excellent.

Just because there wasn't a constant changing leaderboard on Sunday doesn't mean this was not a great golf tournament.

I loved all 4 days of the Masters. I saw no slump. I wanted it to be closer in the end, but I can't blame Scottie for being excellent.

This one is tough. At the turn it looked like we were going to have a close 4 person race. Coming out of Amen Corner it was all but over.

Even without balls in the water or the bushes I think he still wins it by a few. He birdied 8, 9, 10, 13, 14 and 16 coming in.

Back