LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

The Nest put up a good fight, but smarter heads prevailed......then there is @j_sizzle9 who walks to a beat of a different drum. Those “Nawlins” boys can party and he’s no exception. For some reason I have no doubt he will be ready when it’s time.

1575529339785.jpeg

I’ve been through a THP event before and know that live posting and following the thread is difficult. But, it’s nearly impossible to do anything other than play and post scores. So, that being said, we’re never ignoring any questions that the forum has, it’s just that the thread moves so quickly, we have no shot of catching everything. :)

About a week ago we knew that rain was likely for today, so a rain jacket was packed, and was indeed needed today. We had rain on and off (mostly on) from our arrival at the Hideaway until we finished the second 9 hole match. By that time it had stopped raining but the sun was going behind the mountains so the temp dropped pretty quickly.

Our scoring was a little wonky to start the day since we started on 17, so we played two holes under the best ball format, then 9 as shamble, then back to 7 holes of best ball. It took us a few holes to figure out that we should have paused the score between 1-9.

We lost the front 9, and won the back. It was very nice to get a point for Team THP. I’ll expand more on the match itself during my post-event write ups.

Dinner and pairings were really fun and super excited about singles tomorrow. Extremely happy that the sun is supposed to be out tomorrow. That way we won’t have to keep a plastic bag over the top of our golf bags.

Now off to bed. Up and at em early.

Thanks to everyone for following along and cheering Team THP on this week. It’s very much appreciated.

Following the joy that The Clive is to play, The Grandaddy is going to take a turn for the diabolical. The Dye course is a bear and a perfect course for singles matches. Have a blast out there folks, it’s a heck of a golf course.

Following the joy that The Clive is to play, The Grandaddy is going to take a turn for the diabolical. The Dye course is a bear and a perfect course for singles matches. Have a blast out there folks, it’s a heck of a golf course.
HEEEEEEZZZZ

Dear Mr. Roger Cleveland,

Thank you for creating the jaws wedge X grind. You may now remind the boom panda @DNevsCG every time you see him, that your wonderful creation allowed a mediocre golfer from the internet to hand him a Grandaddy loss from every lie imaginable. Beeeeeuuummm!

PS. @DNevsCG is an awesome guy and was a blast to play with him and @tonytuon today.

what. a. day!

the day started with a bus ride to the hideaway. i wasn’t feeling tip-top, so i spent the morning catching up on the thread. all of a sudden i felt a giant meat hook of a hand grab my head and spin it to look out the window as we pulled into the hideaway. good looking out @Luke WilliamsCG thats something i did not want to miss!

the place is spectacular. the landscaping is pristine. the service is incredibly friendly and eager to assist. and it’s a perfect execution of posh without pretense.

we were walked through the facility and into the room with breakfast. lingering effects from prenesting prevented a full appreciation of the spread. i won’t make that mistake again. the rain was strengthening but spirits were unfazed. @JasonFinleyCG handed out $100 pro shop gift cards to everyone. so. much. swag.

we made our way down to the pro shop. it is smartly stocked with hideaway branded apparel from various brands, and accessories. our guys did some damage. the highlight was @JourdanInMich facetiming with @dacatalyst41 for a personal shopper service. #reproshopping

then we were led outside to our carts with clubs.

F4F6F04C-6AEB-43E7-96C8-362AF9C9A54C.jpeg

unfortunately that’s all i can show right now until embargos are lifted. kudos to callaway’s tour department for swiftly and deftly executing audibles to deal with inventory availability.

then it was range time. working through the bag everything felt great. i only hit one or two bad shots, the rest were awesome. the fit was perfect.

i made my way over to the putting green. it’s really big, and it also serves as a chipping and pitching area. thanks to matt browning for almost making me @KEV 2.0 ?. i was hitting excellent short game shots. everything was coming off with great spin, i could control trajectory, it was mind blowing for me and my issues for the past couple years. x grind for the m-f’ing win!

then i putted with my new putter. whoa. speed control and roll were tremendous. i made some bombs. and the feel off the insert is perfection for me when paired with the ball i was using.

we got a rundown on formats, then @radiman and i were sent off to play against @HeyPeteCG and @EthanatorCG. only we made a quick pit stop then got utterly lost trying to find our way around!

once we made it, we were faced with this tee shot.

0ADE07E5-989E-460D-BD6F-6CE73A01D930.jpeg

i hit a good drive into the fairway, and got to witness just how consistent ethan and pete were. i knew it was going to be a tough couple of matches.

as the day went on, the rain and cold and prenesting really took their toll. i started out strong, faded, but got it back. although we didn’t win, i was pleased with the fight we put up. radi hit some great short game shots and got robbed on a few putts, one was a nasty lip out and the other ricocheted off the stick. any luck available to our group was gobbled by pete. i guess lady luck rewards nice guys. he golfed the hell out of his ball, and had some crazy fortunate bounces a few times.

my initial thoughts on all clubs:
driver- i wasn’t as consistent on the course as i was in the fitting. but that’s all me. my swing was very short today, and the conditions got the better of me. but i connected with a few and saw some excellent distance. i also got much better results than i deserved thanks to amazing forgiveness. and the sound is just perfect. if you didn’t love the sound of flash, you have to try this new lineup.

fw- i have a 3w and 5w. i hit 3w once, and 5w a few times. the highlight was the par 4 18th. it is LONG. i hit a nice drive, and still had about 220 in, off a sidehill lie to an uphill green surrounded by trouble. i flushed the 5w on this high, piercing fade that hit the green and finished about 15’ from the pin. just incredible! the 3w has promise too.

hy- i have the 23* super hybrid, set +1. i hit one stinker, but also some really excellent shots. it’s going to be a great weapon from about 200-210 for me. the extra loft is also adding spin, and it is absolutely money.

i- i can’t say much, but i will say that my distances are almost identical to the cf19, but i like the feel even more. it could be a combo with the ball, but these feel so solid. a well hit shot is rewarded with a beautiful flight and great feel.

w- probably the star for me right now are my 48, 56 and 60. i fell perfectly in line with distances on full and partial swings. but around the greens i was just so in love. the spin was phenomenal, excellent feel, and such crisp contact. they are game changers. i never got along with the md4; these md5 are perfect.

p- i can’t divulge much. i will just say i am a huge fan of my tuttle (thanks again to @mancest), but this new putter is even better. stability, forgiveness, and feel are all improved. i made some really nice putts with it.

b- again, not much i can say about what it is. but having played erc soft, ‘18 cs, ‘18 csx, and ‘18 csxtt, the ball i played today combines the best of all of those balls. launch was better. feel was perfect. spin was spectacular. and excellent durability.

i wore the cuater legend shoes today. my feet stayed dry in really tough conditions, and the white shoes did not get very dirty. impressive.

shout out to @radiman for being a great partner. this man has some serious speed that is fun to watch. also another big thank you to hideaway member lars. he was pulling hard for us. he came out on a day when no other hideaway member would have been on the course, and he slogged along with us. such a trooper, and so genuinely happy to host us.

finally, a huge thank you to callaway. this event lacks nothing. every detail is executed perfectly, and the gifts are overwhelming. they love this event as much as we do. it’s an INSANE labor, but one that they clearly love.

i’m headed to bed. it will be fun to take on @JasonFinleyCG. he’s a legend. history is on his side. with better weather, good health and added familiarity with my gear, i’m not counting myself out. it will also be fun to ride with @tomcat and to watch @21Gonzo take a break from the ship show to put on a stripe show.

good night thp. more tomorrow!

Last edited:
Just spent the last hour or so catching up and it looks like another amazing time was had again

Put the first day scores out of your head and go have fun again today

Singles day! Good luck out there today team THP! Lots of fun to be had out there, I’m sure @mikeg_74 has a plan for you and I’m sure it’s a fine plan. I have a plan I think you should consider.

I want you to come out of the gates swinging. Hit ‘em hard, hit ‘em fast. Don’t let up until they’re chewed up and swallowed. You start with a small base of the oatmeal to soak Up what’s left of the Nest and the margaritas. You get some water in quick, but don’t dally there, maybe you throw in some orange juice. Then you get those sliders. 2 maybe 3 of those right down the hatch, throw a couple in your pocket for later. Then it’s range time, this is a good time to start the feints, keep ‘em on their toes. You grab a canned Gatorade, maybe one for the road. Before you start the drive out is when you start coming at them quick fast and hard. Bloody Mary/Maria for the ride out, got another one on standby, maybe two, three holes of those, then you start the run on the Blueberry magic juice.

I know it’s going to be a hard battle but I really think you can make the drink ninja sweat today guys!

oh, and you know, try to throw a beat down on the zoocrew too. But if you’re nice they’ll totally help you with the whole “make the drink ninjas work” thing.

The Nest put up a good fight, but smarter heads prevailed......then there is @j_sizzle9 who walks to a beat of a different drum. Those “Nawlins” boys can party and he’s no exception. For some reason I have no doubt he will be ready when it’s time.

View attachment 8917581
Tell him to get up a little early and head to the lobby for a nap. Worked out for me pretty well. Lol

Just remember gentlemen, we’re all proud of y’all and have the time of your lives in singles.

Also, don’t f*** it up so it can return next year!!!!

JK’ing....sort of.

Good luck today fellas! Singles day! Woohoo!!!!

I was behind the thread all day yesterday- crazy amount of content and updates! My favorite had to be the Snickerdog tequila shot. Way to knock that back my man

Looked like everyone is having a blast and the equipment is performing great. Callaway with another GD homerun. Thanks for bringing us out with you. Incredible follow!

I bet you can't believe it's Thursday already. Play well today guys and keep smiling, we're here following along enjoying every step.

Caught up from last night; like the party was going strong. Hopefully, no one got left behind nesting!

ready for the updates from today - there’s a real opportunity today; go get em!

Some great single matches and they will be fun to watch & follow along! Crazy to see the amount of energy & fun y’all are having! The Nest, I now understand what the hype is all about. :D The Final day of The Grandaddy is upon us! Soak every ounce of it in, have fun on the course, and snag a victory! Either way know that you have made us all proud!!!

I’ve gotta say, it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with the Grandaddy thread unless you take the week off of work, don’t actually work when at work, or skim. I’m 100 pages behind as I’ve been too busy at work this week to not work while there, and I refuse to skim. Too much awesome that I might miss.

Next year I’m taking it off work. (Provided of course that it returns) There could be a couple reasons for doing so.... Hopefully option A is the reason but it’s awesome enough that option B (just keeping up with it) is cool enough too!

I know my man badolds has got to be having a great time. Who wouldn’t? He’s my closest connection to the Grandaddy yet as we had a fun evening a while back on THP where he landed a Rogue Silver driver shaft. I’m still glad he didn’t take my dog, lol.

I have no idea how it’s going but I hope all participants are having the best of times. I thank GG, JB, and Callaway for setting up this awesome event. GG and JB’s vision of setting things up like this for average hacks like us, and that applies to all events, just amazes me. Every one of them is beyond amazing. There are no regular events on THP, they’re all majors and this week is Masters week!

It’s fun enough to follow yet alone dream that someday it could be me!

Hope y’all enjoy today!

Back