Golf shots with the crowds

Maybe... tragically, not well at all.

1st tee jitters are real. Tournament 1st tee jitters can be alarmingly impactful.

But THAT sensory bomb is a whole 'nother story. And it takes experience and only experience to reach a level of comfort there.

I don't have it and matter of fact, my palms would hit the spigot and drench any chance I may have had otherwise.

A huge swollen dome lump at best, emergency evac most probable.

But, I can 100% be counted on to unflinchingly (lie, I'd jump outta my skin) yell FORE!!! with impressive fervor AFTER bone crushing impact... book it.

I can’t stand it on the 1st tee with another foursome drinking beer and not paying attention waiting for my group To move on. Couldn’t imagine people actually watching me.

I'd probably do ok, but man....not sure it's a good idea to be where those potential victims are standing.

I suppose you could get used to it fairly quickly. Depending upon your skill level though, those crowds might induce a lot of anxiety (for the player and crowd if they know what's good for 'em... lol).

My only experience with a sizable crowd was at Grenelefe in Haynes City, FL for a big junior tournament in 1981. For 2 consecutive days, I teed off on an opening par-5 in front of a big crowd. I played the hole the exact same way both days: worm-burned/topped my driver about 100 yards, bombed 3-wood to the 150-marker, hit 9-iron on the green and 2-putted for par. I played well both days but those opening tee balls were a disaster! I definitely felt the nerves in front of the crowd.

At Bay Hill the year before, I saw Jack Nicklaus in the trees way left on a hole. A huge crowd formed and opened a small lane between his ball and the fairway; the lane must have been 30-40 yards long and only a few yards wide. He kept getting people to shuffle to the right and as they did, the people on the left would shuffle too so that the size of the lane was pretty constant.

He hit a low bullet 1-iron right down the middle of the lane and wound up just shy of the green. If he pulls it just a hair, someone was getting their face rearranged...

It was crazy watching the President's Cup how close the fans where on shots that went astray in the rough or whatever.

Like zero chance of a thinned shot to someone's face? A shank to someone's knee cap?

Must be nice to be professional haha.

185279B4-B5C5-4F03-A0F0-B5D0A237B5B8.jpeg
08291DFA-16B3-4F86-BEC6-E81303E7DD25.jpegE9B0617C-261C-4D3D-9ED9-610B655C304B.jpeg

Back