Are you a member at your home course?

I am. Mainly to maintain my NCGA handicap, although I do plan on playing in some competitions this year.

I am a golf member at our local public course. My membership entitles me to golf 5 days per week with a cart. It takes about 50 rounds to break even, but I usually get in between 85-100. The attraction of the membership is simply that the course is about 5 minutes from home.

Would love to have a membership around here but just not worth it. Like many of you have said, that’d you’d have to play about 6-8 times a month to break even. That for me is unfortunately not possible due to work and courses being pretty much shut down 4-5 months out of the year. Ive calculated once that I could play about 3-4 times a month at the highest cost course and I’d come out ahead vs a membership.

Yep my public course is $900 unlimited play with cart. I get off at noon everyday, easily worth it for me.

Yes I am a member. I switched clubs this year but that was because my old home course told me my rates were going to almost double this year and they were going to be pretty much identical to the best course in the area. While my old course is a good course, it is just no where near as nice or challenging as the best course in the area. My favorite instructor is also the pro at the new course so it made sense to switch.

I still play at other courses from time to time but honestly I don’t feel as much desire to do that anymore since making the change. Most of the courses around here I can driver/wedge to death all day long if I am playing well. Most have no forced carries or really anything to worry about and it tends to be grip it and rip it all day. My new home course has a lot of forced carries over bunkers, water, and some other hazards. It will make you think about club selection in a big way and you need to be accurate especially off the tee. It has large and small greens with some being tiered, some fairly flat, and others I would call more rolling to offer all kinds of looks. It has a definite driveable Par 4 but also has a Par 5 that I don’t know anybody who would try to reach in 2 based on the design of the hole. Longer Par 3s and shorter Par 3s. Some Par 4s will he wedge or maybe even partial wedge in and others are going to be mid to long iron. It basically will give you a lot of different looks and experiences playing there and that is what I really love about it

I have a membership at our local university course. $85/mo includes all green fees (for alumni, a weekend green fee is $31). Carts are $16 per 18. Range balls are $5 a bucket. I still get out to a few daily fee courses that aren't too much of a drive. I like the cost of my membership but am increasingly disappointed in the growing lack of service, no enforcement of course rules, inattention to bunkers, inconsistently cut greens, etc.

I am a member at a local public course. The fee for unlimited walking is $650. There is a cart fee that would allow for unlimited cart use for another $600. Since I walk as much as possible I do not opt for the cart. Having a membership is also convenient because often times I will stop by after work and only play 2 or 3 holes

I am member of my local course mainly because it is 15 minutes from me and I can go there more often than other courses. It cost around 1000 annually - includes green fees, but if you want to use carts, you pay for them.

My muni doesn’t offer a real membership. You can get a loyalty card deal ($25/year) which really just let’s you accumulate points to redeem for rounds, and an extra hour of twilight. It’s also the busiest course in the country so it doesn’t always help since there’s thousands of other people who have the same perks

What I consider to be my home course is a 35min drive from my house, and there are probably a dozen courses in-between. That, and I play several different courses in any given month so joining a club just doesn't make sense for me.

There are several member courses near me. I’m not a member at my nearest course, about half a mile away, as it is phenomenally expensive, extremely pompous, has a long waiting list and has a committee interview process for applicants. It thinks it is Augusta! The next nearest is a bit bland over the second nine. I am a member at a club 30 minutes drive away. I like it because it is challenging without beating me up and, as a country club, it has a swimming pool and well equipped gym included within the reasonably priced membership.

I keep my cap via internet web club. I play around 90 times a year at 60 different places. Was a member for 15 years at a club in CT. Predominantly so my kids had access to the club.

Local course doesn't offer a membership but if they did I likely would...

Former local had a membership for discounted tee time, paid for itself in 2 rounds I think.. I'm going to try and renew it with my expired license lol

I join a club in N central MN each season. Tiana , tough course, maintained well, abt 1500 for the season, unlimited golf and cart and range. I’ll play on average 3x per week and practice. Real good people there staff and regular players. Well worth it

I am a member and I live on my home course. My back porch is about 30 yard from the tee on hole 17, 60 yards from the tee on 15, 150 yards from the tee on 18, 70 yards from the green on 14 and 150 yards from the green on 16. I join just so I can freely go out and tinker around on the course whenever I want. The last hour of daylight on any given day is awesome during the summer. The course is public and not in super great shape compared to private clubs, but the layout is challenging and it will definitely put your game to the test at 6500 from the black and 7100 from the gold.

Yes I am. I have a M-F membership. I definitely get my money’s worth as I average 8 rounds a month. There is also pro shop discounts included. I also have the range upgrade which is unlimited for an additional $39 a month. It’s also one of the better courses in the area.

I split too much time between the cottage and the city in the summers to commit to a single course. The private course that I use to work at is getting pretty cheap for intermediates though, been contemplating it hard.

I am a member of a local Muni for $60 a month, I get unlimited golf and range balls. It is cheap enough that I don't feel bad if I go play some of the more expensive courses in our area a couple times a month.

No. Doesn’t seem worth the money. Here in my subdivision, we have a Par 3 course, clubhouse, pool, tennis/basketball court. Then, the owner of my home course, his mother is my neighbor, so we kinda look after her, so he lets me play for free a lot!

I am a member at a daily fee / public course. For $2100 +tax I get unlimited golf and cart with GPS weekdays, weekend golf for cart fee only, unlimited range balls 7 days per week, 1/2 price draft beers and fountain drinks, 40% off prepared food and 15-17% discount on soft goods in the pro shop. There are also two other courses owned/run by the same company we can have access to for cart fee only, and we get 7 day advance fro making tee times, versus 5 days for the general public. As a result we have been able to have the first and second tee time every weekday.

Even at senior rates for greens fees we figure we each save over $5000 per year. Playing about 190 rounds last year my average cost per round, including tax, was a little over $12.

I keep my cap via internet web club. I play around 90 times a year at 60 different places. Was a member for 15 years at a club in CT. Predominantly so my kids had access to the club.
If you don't mind me asking, what online club? I want to start keeping a official handicap this year, was looking at The Grint but they are missing 5 of the courses I play around here.

For around 1,000 a year, I get unlimited range balls, unlimited play on an 18 hole and 9 hole course, and membership in the men's club, so for me, it's well worth it. Greens fees are normally 30 a person and I walk, so no cart fees. Last year I hit almost 900 dollars worth of range balls.

Yes. The golf scene in Louisville is dominated by private clubs. There are a few nice public, but in order to play consistently on good quality tracks, private is the way to go. I pay $200 a month, unlimited golf and range.

We don’t have deals like you guys get around here that I know about. If I found unlimited golf for $410 I’d be all over it. The courses here that have memberships are high dollar.

Right?! I also like having the option to play one of the many courses in my area too. If they had a deal where you could play and pick certain courses as a combo deal; I might be more willing to pay their fees.

86727352-5887-4C9C-A662-03182A46C54E.jpeg5C656F9D-8003-4B6A-9305-06F55C95933E.jpeg18272F56-683B-4FF2-B585-22712E135A89.jpeg

Last edited:
Right now no, the cost is a little high. In order to justify the cost of the membership it would pencil out to 56-58 rounds a year. With all the travel my wife does for work and all activities the kids do I just can't play that much. Give me 5-8 years when the youngest is playing and yes.

Back