I used to do all my own maintenance and repairs and upgrades, but not any more.

When I was younger I'd done some major maintenance on some of my vehicles... changing the differential... then swapping 3rd members when the shock mounts didn't line up on the differential housing.

I'll change the oil now... the last time I took my car to Grease Monkey for their "signature service" it was too much to pay for an oil change. So I do them myself now... and then my wife ran out of dealership oil change coupons for her new car and looked at me:oops: so I change her car's oil too... and my truck... my son does his own oil changes now.(y)

Brakes... I've done them before. I much prefer disc over drum.:D

Back when, I changed my oil, coolant, replaced spark plugs, and a few other things. Now, about all I’ll do is replace bulbs or light assemblies, air filter, and wiper blades.

Nope. I used to years ago, but lost my taste for it when a) everything became computerized, b) there's no room in the engine compartment anymore with all the emissions equipment and stuff, and c) recycling used oil became an ordeal. Just no enjoyment in it anymore.
Same here, plus I know just enough to get in trouble & if they say it will take 2 hours then I plan on 4 because I usually screw something up.

Back in the day I had a few cars I could work in: 67 mustang with 287, 72 nova with 250, 74 mustang but that was the last one.
now, with all the computer stuff, it costs a lot more when you make a mistake. Original cost of parts and materials, and then for the professionals to do it right.
I tried to swap out a head unit in my 2010 F150 but then found out it needed auxiliary power etc etc. way over my head.
did my own oil 1X took 2 hours from start to finish drop off the oil to reclaim center and I saved $8.
that’s only $4 per hour. No thanks.... for that- the dealer can do it!

I'll tackle pretty much everything except paint and transmissions. In the process of rebuilding a 396 big block right now for my Impala and doing some prep work on a 67 Barracuda

I usually value my time over the savings of doing it myself, but being out of work during the pandemic I recently got good and greasy.

I did the inner and outer wheel bearings, hub seals, rotors, calipers and pads on the front of my pickup truck. Probably saved around 300 bucks, but I can't say it was an easy job. Glad I got it done and everything is working great though!
If I didn't normally travel so much and had more/better tools I'd likely do more of that stuff myself.

I'll tackle pretty much everything except paint and transmissions. In the process of rebuilding a 396 big block right now for my Impala and doing some prep work on a 67 Barracuda
You should make a thread about it

yep, pretty much what ever i have the time for. Actually I am just re-assembling the Goldwing after having it torn down for replacing the tires, brakes all fluids and adding more lights up front, need them around here since i painted it Matte Black

Last edited:
Brakes... I've done them before. I much prefer disc over drum.:D
Discs are definitely easier than drums.

I've done brakes before, but then it struck me that an amateur working on something that's kinda such a mission critical component on a car might not be the greatest idea. An experienced mechanic would be more likely to spot a problem that I might miss, so I'd rather let them do it.

If you can turn a wrench, you can do a lot of basic repair work.

My epiphany was in early '09. Almost $900 for an alignment, transmission flush, and front upper ball joints at one shop, followed a few months later with $570 for a fan clutch replacement at a different one was enough for me. The crook even tried to charge me for an A/C cabin filter that my truck doesn't have. The fan clutch didn't even fix the A/C issue I took it in for; I found the solution online -- replacing a $15 A/C clutch cycling switch.

Since then, I've done a lot more stuff than I ever imagined I'd get into: oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs, brakes, rotors, calipers, serpentine belts, alternator, water pumps, fan clutches, throttle body cleanings, front and rear shocks, strut mounts, sway bar end links and bushings, front differential seal, front axle disconnect (replace and rebuild), oil pressure switch replacement, blower motor resistors. Next up is a radiator that has decided to leak a little after 300,000 miles. 😁

I never crawled under the truck when my grandpa was working on his when I was a kid. This is all stuff I've picked up in the last 11 years. If I can do it, anybody can. Just make sure you have patience when you come across that last bolt tucked way back there behind 3 hoses and 2 electrical connectors and need 3 extensions to reach it.

Last edited:
I did my own with my first vehicle, and actually enjoyed it. Then I graduated, got a full time job and realized that I could afford to pay someone else to do it. Can't say that I've wrenched much beyond a flat tire since that day:)

I do it all. I just did rear axle bearings and seals and a water pump on my diesel F-250.

I have been doing dealer oil changes for years, mainly because I am lazy.
I am due again here now, and will probably end up doing it myself this time. Haven't done one in probably 8 years since my last car.

I've done pads and rotors before, fairly simple. If I can do the work myself mechanically, I try to do so. If it is outside of my scope I can take it to the college Automotive students and they use it for teaching (ie. parts at cost, labor for free).

Beyond oil changes and spark plug/wire changes to the truck, very rarely. I do still enjoy working on small engines however - it's almost therapeutic. But vehicles are just different. I don't have the tools, temperament, time, or knowledge.

I've done some difficult repairs in the past but it was really never my thing. When I was a kid, I'd take on most repairs either by myself or with the help of others... CV joints, timing belt, blower motor... repairs I wouldn't touch at this point in my life. I once had an old Renault that required removing the engine to replace the clutch. I bought the parts for the clutch, rented an engine lift, and replaced it. The car ran great - for a few months. It soon started slipping again and I suspect it was because the flywheel surface wasn't properly cleaned.

And that's the thing, there are nuances to almost any repair job - even brakes and spark plugs. I will say that some repairs are easier than others. The power window went out on my truck two years ago and the fix was as simple as cleaning the contacts under the button (thank you YouTube). But most are over my head.

We now have a very trustworthy and affordable mechanic so bringing vehicles into him is a no brainer. Like others have said, the newer cars just don't require much beyond the scheduled oil and transmission fluid changes, brakes, and tires until they are well beyond 100k miles.

I used to do way more but I've purchased cars that need less and less work. Breaks are fun, but wait till you get a sticky caliper, you can do it, its not that bad.

My dad and I have always worked together on all my car repairs. A few years back he installed a lift in his garage and so it makes things so much easier. Oil and brake changes are always satisfying to do.. But one of our biggest projects was rebuilding the front end of my car after totaling it last year. :oops:

I can change the oil and fuel filters on my Cummins in less than 30 mins for les than $100 in parts/oil. The dealership wants to charge $600 and keep it all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad told me this one time, and I took it to heart: "Either learn to work on your own stuff, or get rich enough to not have to worry about it"

So I learned.

I do everything myself. The amount of money saved, I dont think I could even add up at this point.

Pulled motor in my speed, and put in a forged mill, with a much bigger turbo.

FB_IMG_1587064934644.jpg

3 or 6? What all did you have done?
2008 3. Nothing fancy, fuel pump, downpipe, intake, mild tune. But it was just so spry.

Back