Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Okay so how many of us THPers do there own car repairs? (Oil, brakes, general repairs)

I have never been one to change my own oil or do basic repairs.

Today I changed my own brakes! Watch out I may just try to do a 3” lift on my Jeep next!

None and I work at a body shop...

I do oil when I have the time. I did the brakes on my wife's car, but when mine were worn out, it was also time for a timing chain replacement, so I had the shop do the brakes at the same time. Anything more major I'd probably just bring in.

I do oil when I have the time. I did the brakes on my wife's car, but when mine were worn out, it was also time for a timing chain replacement, so I had the shop do the brakes at the same time. Anything more major I'd probably just bring in.
Yeah I had these ridiculous squeaking & we had the back brakes changed about 5 months ago. I watch a YouTube video & said this can’t be hard. Actually took me less than an hr & I saved $200. Guess that is one thing about this CoronaVirus...I have extra time from not having to travel.

Now I can’t say you won’t see me rolling down the street trying to stop...

i used to do all my own stuff...then i got lazy 😑...however, i do need to do a new suspension on the mini cooper and i'm too cheap to farm that out now that golf takes my $ :rolleyes::LOL:

I do as much as I can with my cars. Replaced a throttle body a couple of months ago.

I love working on my cars and small engines. I grew up working on cars, worked on them through high school and college, and still have a couple race cars. Some weekend I am with some buddies at the track working on racing karts. I have a full tool set with some pretty exotic stuff. I work on friends and neighbors cars. I love it.

Nope. I used to years ago, but lost my taste for it when a) everything became computerized, b) there's no room in the engine compartment anymore with all the emissions equipment and stuff, and c) recycling used oil became an ordeal. Just no enjoyment in it anymore.

Yep. Just did the oil on the wife’s rig last weekend. Last month it was the rear passenger door close sensor and thermostat.

I used to when I was a technician. Now that I’m an advisor and not wrenching anymore I pay one of my techs to do it for me. I hate working on vehicles now.

I owned an auto repair shop for 12 years after working there for 8. I don’t do anything anymore. Totally burnt out working on cars.

I pretty much do all the work on my cars. Only thing I won't tackle are transmission rebuilds. Everything else is fair game. Used to wrench on other peoples cars, tune them, build up the suspensions, race em, etc. Been doing less of that recently with work, family, etc.

Last edited:
I'll do a bit of work on my Wrangler but my other vehicles I leave it to the pros. I'd maybe do the brakes on my other ones but that's about it.

I wrench as much as I can on my Jeep, love doing it. I send my wife’s car to my sister, whose a 25+ year mechanic, because she hates working on European cars. I’m a loving brother like that lol

I try to do everything myself. I enjoy it as long as I'm not on a deadline or need the car the next day.
Just did the starter on my Acura and recently did the front end of my GMC.

Everybody should be able to change oil and coolant, as well as brake pad and rotor changes. I don't know why this is never taught in schools as part of general curriculum.

I love working on my cars and small engines. I grew up working on cars, worked on them through high school and college, and still have a couple race cars. Some weekend I am with some buddies at the track working on racing karts. I have a full tool set with some pretty exotic stuff. I work on friends and neighbors cars. I love it.
I know who I’m having to my lift now. I’ll be down in a few weeks. 😂

Everybody should be able to change oil and coolant, as well as brake pad and rotor changes. I don't know why this is never taught in schools as part of general curriculum.

For the same reason that home economics and basic bill paying/banking skills aren’t taught anymore. Teach the test for federal funding, life skills be damned.

YouTube was my friend.

I know who I’m having to my lift now. I’ll be down in a few weeks. 😂
100% in. I also have a drill press and a nice vice so when that EBay special of a lift kit you plan on buying doesn’t fit, we can make it work 😂

If anyone needs information or help with something, let me know!

Man I've been working on mine the last 2 days. I'm always doing something even if it's minor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I use to do everything work related on my vehicles when I was younger.

I actually made extra money as a youngster doing brake jobs, and tune ups on other peoples cars. I would rebuild manual transmissions as needed. I was a 14 year old working pumping gas. When I wasn't pumping gas, I was working on people's cars. My boss taught me quite a bit about cars.

I just recently got involved with a ford V-10 that wont' idle correctly in drive, or reverse. It's giving me fits trying to figure out the problem. I will persevere however.

I have done most of my car repairs, engines, trannies, you name it, and every other repairs around here for most of my life. Some things I don't do now just because I don't have the extra time or simply don't want to.

I used to change oil, brakes, and do minor stuff like radiator flushes and fuel system cleanings. In my younger days I would tackle things like a head gasket, water pump, alternator, timing belt or struts with the help of my dad. After I got a company car in 1998 that stopped other than doing the brakes and a few oil changes on my wife’s car just to show my teenage son how do those things. The only thing I do now is detailing but that is mostly because it’s easy and I don’t trust others to do it for me without swirling up the paint. My son and both daughters all know how to sand, buff, and wax automotive paint and they detail their cars a couple of times each year.

Cars now are so trouble free that we’ve mostly just had oil changes and brake repairs the last 20 years. The only major repair that I remember was a transmission in one of my company vans in about 2004.

Back