Is Callaway in trouble

Posted and there are 42 ads on that page (and it's not even Outbrain crap!)

I came across that article last night. It seemed like just one person's opinion that didn't like Callaway for some reason. While Wilson and Srixon may be on the way up, they have a long way to go before they approach anything close to Callaway's influence in the current golf landscape.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but I’m not a huge fan of the look of some of their newer equipment. Too many bright colors that don’t appeal to most in my opinion. This was what Nike had a similar problem with that when they were making clubs.

From everything that has been said in here, I am not even going to waste my time reading the article. It sounds like the guy has an issue with Callaway and/or has no idea what he is talking about.

Interesting to see if any of the Callaway peeps respond in here. I'd be interested in their thoughts.

Journalism ain't what it used to be.

By looking at the title of the article, I thought it might be interesting and factual. I think someone could write an article that Callaway is in trouble by using facts and still not get to the hot take that they are the next MacGregor. No way I could watch their stock drop to where it did in March '20 and not think there was trouble. I personally feel that they lost some key personnel, and that the golf ball release was hurt by timing and obviously Covid hurt the entire country and travel and leisure was hurt the worst. I believe that most (maybe every) OEM you could write a factual article today of why they are in trouble. But maybe not all of them can you also write an article today on how they were getting through the trouble and going to bounce back stronger than their competition.

But reading the article, I just pictured Kathy Bates screaming "Callaway is the Devil"

Interesting to see if any of the Callaway peeps respond in here. I'd be interested in their thoughts.

Journalism ain't what it used to be.

Not sure if there is any benefit to the Callaway peeps to respond to this at all. It probably gives the opinions more weight if they do respond than just ignore it entirely.

Wait, where can I get a Cameron for $225?

I‘ll admit I’m a homer, but this seems like it’s written by someone who doesn’t really know the golf industry. They talk about how Cobra makes ”far more than clubs” - OK, if you add in Puma, that’s true. But in the same context, they talk about how Srixon is a “smaller brand”.

Any brand has their issues. In my opinion, the whole ball thing was blown out of proportion, and I think Callaway’s place in that market is still pretty strong. So the whole “Brand Permission” thesis seems weak to me.

Not sure if there is any benefit to the Callaway peeps to respond to this at all. It probably gives the opinions more weight if they do respond than just ignore it entirely.

I was thinking the same thing. But they also seem to be a group that likes to face things head on. Which is just as admirable.

Wait, where can I get a Cameron for $225?

I‘ll admit I’m a homer, but this seems like it’s written by someone who doesn’t really know the golf industry. They talk about how Cobra makes ”far more than clubs” - OK, if you add in Puma, that’s true. But in the same context, they talk about how Srixon is a “smaller brand”.

Any brand has their issues. In my opinion, the whole ball thing was blown out of proportion, and I think Callaway’s place in that market is still pretty strong. So the whole “Brand Permission” thesis seems weak to me.

On this, he obviously is not too informed on Callaway. They make way way more than clubs. Lets go down the list of what I am aware of and I am sure it is not complete.

Under the umbrella
Callaway branded - clubs, balls, bags, clothing, shoes, a plethora of accessories.
Odyssey - Putters, the #1 on the market by miles, which includes Toulon.
Travis Mathews - Very high end clothing brand. Extremely popular. with accessories, shoes, belts, headcovers, etc.
Ogio - Callaway bought Ogio. Which makes, golf bags, business back packs, travel bags, motorcross gear etc. again, extremely popular.
Top Golf - Callaway owns about 14% of top golf. Top golf is an industry unto itself. Hugely popular.

The guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about . Callaway has had a solid line up for 8-10 years in my books. Just a salty guy for sure

His argument against Toulon putters is he's "never seen one in the wild"?

Unpopular opinion perhaps but I’m not a huge fan of the look of some of their newer equipment. Too many bright colors that don’t appeal to most in my opinion. This was what Nike had a similar problem with that when they were making clubs.
I'd have to agree with you. Love the brand, but not a fan of the past 2 releases from an aesthetic perspective.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree with you. Love the brand, but not a fan of the past 2 releases from an aesthetic perspective.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'll admit I'm not crazy about the orange on the Mavrik, but I sure love how they perform. 🔥

That's a bunch of hot garbage written by a hack looking for clicks with his "hot take". Maybe he should try being factually accurate next time instead of pandering for attention like a misbehaving child.

After clicking on the picture of West Valentine, does anyone else think he looks like Happy Gilmore's caddy before he drank 500 bottles of whisky, forgot to get a haircut, lost his home and started cleaning windshields?

On this, he obviously is not too informed on Callaway. They make way way more than clubs. Lets go down the list of what I am aware of and I am sure it is not complete.

Under the umbrella
Callaway branded - clubs, balls, bags, clothing, shoes, a plethora of accessories.
Odyssey - Putters, the #1 on the market by miles, which includes Toulon.
Travis Mathews - Very high end clothing brand. Extremely popular. with accessories, shoes, belts, headcovers, etc.
Ogio - Callaway bought Ogio. Which makes, golf bags, business back packs, travel bags, motorcross gear etc. again, extremely popular.
Top Golf - Callaway owns about 14% of top golf. Top golf is an industry unto itself. Hugely popular.
Don't leave out Jack Wolfskin.

Back