PXG clubs are over rated.. prove me wrong

Not sure I would call them over rated but for sure over priced. Guarantee I can hit better shots with cheaper clubs from any brand you’d want to try

that's relatively presumptuous.... but that's fine.

Product A: Solid tech story, priced at 1k
Product B: Same solid tech story, priced at 3k

Paint the picture however you want to, the majority of people are going to say Product B is overpriced.
I for one am blessed in that I could afford either. I am also blessed with the good sense to buy Product A LOL!

Wow. I have PXG’s but would never blow money on a Bettinardi putter. I also wouldn’t give you grief for blowing your money on it. So maybe dial it down a notch?

This doesn’t just go to you, but everyone else suggesting PXG owners are whatever name they want to use...

All the PXG haters:

View attachment 8981071

And NOBODY provides better discounts to MIL/First Responders than PXG.

oh I’m a firm believer in playing what you want. I took this thread to be a bit of playful banter, sorry if it came out as an attack on you personally.

I have some expensive clubs, so definitely play what you want! PXG is just not for me.

The mil/first responder discount is huge for those that served; that’s one thing Bob gets spot on that I wish other OEMs would copy

I for one am blessed in that I could afford either. I am also blessed with the good sense to buy Product A LOL!
I feel the same. There are a lot of great tech stories in golf right now, and it gives us the freedom to be a bit brand picky about it (beyond price). This kind of product kind of has two things working against it.

Both are at decent prices right now, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the proto is 325 and the gen2 is 225

Way less than the major OEMs.

That's why I pulled the trigger on black friday.

Just from a looks standpoint they are heinous.

Just saw ad Golf Channel heroes prices for all right now if interested

I finally got to try one of their clubs, a wedge, recently on the range. Was it better than my Callway wedge, no! Was it overpriced compared to my wedge, YES!

I purchased a set of 0311 XF Gen 2 irons 5 thru pw for less than $1000.00 new from the PXG website. I needed the most forgiving forged club I could buy. Feel and forgiveness is excellent.

I already made a comment about my PXG clubs but forgot to mention one very important aspect of my 0211, that is the set-up. There are certain clubs that when you put them down they just don't set up right to your eyes. Either the top is too thick, or the blade is too rounded or anything else that you are sensitive to. The 0211 have a nice fairly thin top line, set up square and flat on the ground and it's just a good look for my eyes, which is another reason I got them.

In the end it comes down to if the player is happy and feels confident with them. I’ve played some classic brands and I couldn’t hit water if I fell out of a boat. Others didn’t feel or look right to me = no confidence over the ball. Doesn’t really matter what brand a player is swinging providing the player is happy with them. “To each their own” in my view.

Ha ha, my overrated and under priced One and Done Putter will be here sometime today. So the bag is complete top to bottom with douchy expensive clubs that most have never tried but love to hate.

I think I am enjoying that last part the most, clubs are clubs and I am already planning the Srixon bag for the spring and keep these for my son if he gets the golf bug.

Ha ha, my overrated and under priced One and Done Putter will be here sometime today. So the bag is complete top to bottom with douchy expensive clubs that most have never tried but love to hate.

I think I am enjoying that last part the most, clubs are clubs and I am already planning the Srixon bag for the spring and keep these for my son if he gets the golf bug.
Wow you beat me. Top to bottom is impressive. I still have my callaway wedges, driver and fairway wood. But the hybrids, irons and putter are all douche-territory.

Not over-rated, and right now not overpriced either.

Last edited:

I love it @jim54

Looking forward to seeing their new irons, big fan of the driver too.

I have not tried any pxg clubs but want to...the Sub70 699s eliminated the 0211 from the equation... If I could reign in my draw (which I will be working on after this hiatus) , the 699s would be super fantastical... @Smiter is right on about the distance... I would like to try a driver but we'll see. I keep looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger... I'm always for supporting a vet's company, doubly so with pxg being a Marine's company...maybe I should just get off the fence and pull the trigger...
I’m curious about the sub 70 remark.... why would you ever consider eliminating the club with greater brand recognition, far greater resale value, newer tech, etc etc. Especially when you can get the 0211’s for $84 per club with a great shaft (MMT). That’s $580 for 7 PXG clubs... sorry, but I looked at it completely opposite of you. I had called Sub 70, spoke with them, was about to buy. When I heard about the lowered price point on the 0211 irons, they became the best golf related purchase I’ve made in years.
@Smiter can talk all he wants about how far he hits his sub 70... the PXG is a better quality build, with more updated tech. It’s like comparing a Kia to a Lexus (and I’m being kind with that comparison).
I wish Jason and his company all the best, but he isn’t making PXG quality clubs. Let’s not pretend he is....

Last edited:
This may be a topic that will drive a few posts..

I was have a conversation about pxg and their brand and business practices.

I said PXG is overrated and it is very difficult for a retailer to make money off pxg because of a number of reasons.

Their product cycles are not cycles. They randomly introduce products, drop pricing, run sales etc etc.

A retailer has to buy them at certain wholesale price, then mark it up to try and make money. When they do flash sales. The retailer as to honor that price and it could be potentially lower than the wholesale price.

On top of the pxg is a very high priced product at full price. So you have a limited number of people looking for a product at that price tag.

Pxg can tell you all they want they are better but, I have seen them come in a prettt terrible quality control and not perform any better than products at a much lower cost.

I know there is a golfing segment that loves them. And to that I at fantastic. I am always happy for people that get what they want and are happy with it.

I simply say. They are overpriced or over rated..
The Sim driver in your bag is over rated. It’s no better than the M2 or M1 driver Taylormade put out 4 years ago, yet you bought into the marketing hype and paid $600 for it.
Prove me wrong.
I got a set of PXG 0211’s 5-G with MMT shafts brand new, custom fitted for the same price you paid for that driver... you know, the one that isn’t any better than the one you owned before you saw DJ hit his Sim that you absolutely, positively knower would be a game changer lol.
I’m not writing this for any other reason than to show how easy it is to post something as silly as your OP. Shame on you or anyone else dumb enough to buy into the marketing hype of any OEM.
Play what you like, and don’t be the guy who judges other people for doing the same.

Last edited:
The Sim driver in your bag is over rated. It’s no better than the M2 or M1 driver Taylormade put out 4 years ago, yet you bought into the marketing hype and paid $600 for it.
Prove me wrong.
I got a set of PXG 0211’s 5-G with MMT shafts brand new, custom fitted for the same price you paid for that driver... you know, the one that isn’t any better than the one you owned before you saw DJ hit his Sim that you absolutely, positively knower would be a game changer lol.

Your probably right..

Prove me wrong.
I’m not writing this for any other reason than to show how easy it is to post something as silly as your OP. Shame on you or anyone else dumb enough to buy into the marketing hype of any OEM.
Play what you like, and don’t be the guy who judges other people for doing the same.

I never judged anyone for playing it by the way. I am simply saying they are not worth full boat. Which you did not pay. You get a good deal. The SIM was a game changer for me though. It has been awesome.. Best driver I have ever played..

Reactions: JB
I never judged anyone for playing it by the way. I am simply saying they are not worth full boat. Which you did not pay. You get a good deal. The SIM was a game changer for me though. It has been awesome.. Best driver I have ever played..
Good for you, I’m genuinely happy to hear that.
By the same token though you could’ve started a thread about the Titleist concept irons or the Callaway Epic forged being over priced and over rated, and said the same things about those two companies and their business models.
Look, I have no stake in PXG, I could care less about any OEM and their business models. It’s just that these PXG hating threads I see on different golf forums are so played out.
Guys who have golf bags filled with the latest gear, drive $70-80k cars, living in expensive homes complaining about what Parsons decides to sell his clubs for is silly to me.
When you’re stuck in traffic next to a guy in a brand new Maserati, do you think he’s stupid for buying an expensive car?
What about that guy with the Rolex, or the one with the way too big boat? Do you question his purchase also?
Maybe it’s me, but that’s not how I want to live my life.

Good for you, I’m genuinely happy to hear that.
By the same token though you could’ve started a thread about the Titleist concept irons or the Callaway Epic forged being over rated, and said the same things about those two companies and their business models.
Look, I have no stake in PXG, I could care less about any OEM and their business models. It’s just that these PXG hating threads I see on different golf forums are so played out.
Guys who drive $70-80k cars, living in expensive homes complaining about what Parsons decides to sell his clubs for is silly to me. When you’re stuck in traffic next to a guy in a brand new Maserati, do you think he’s stupid for buying an expensive car?
What about that guy with the Rolex, or the one with the way too big boat? Do you question his purchase also?
Maybe it’s me, but that’s not how I want to live my life.

Fair enough. But those things all have accepted value that typically holds over time. Rolex's stay valuable, boats (just sold one) stay valuable, exotic cars stay valuable.

PXG clubs, do not..

Those looking at expensive watches have a few choices in high end watches they can make. All at accepted rates for the most part. Rolex is not selling their watches for 3 times the going high end rate. Yes, I know custom watches can get into the 100s of thousands of dollars. I do not see it as a good comparison.

I am also not saying people who buy PXG are stupid. Spend your money how you want. You earned it. I am simply saying by comparison to what else is there. You could be paying way to much..

Fair enough. But those things all have accepted value that typically holds over time. Rolex's stay valuable, boats (just sold one) stay valuable, exotic cars stay valuable.

PXG clubs, do not..

Those looking at expensive watches have a few choices in high end watches they can make. All at accepted rates for the most part. Rolex is not selling their watches for 3 times the going high end rate. Yes, I know custom watches can get into the 100s of thousands of dollars. I do not see it as a good comparison.

I am also not saying people who buy PXG are stupid. Spend your money how you want. You earned it. I am simply saying by comparison to what else is there. You could be paying way to much..
I’m enjoying this conversation, so don’t take this as me arguing with you, but to your point about PXG irons holding their value, I think you might be incorrect here.
If I were to venture a guess, I’d say their trade in value is among if not the best of the major OEMs. Take your Cobra set for example...
You have a fantastic set of irons. For my money they’re one of the best out there, yet I’d be shocked if in let’s say 2-3 years, they compared in value to the comparable PXG set, and I’m talking % wise, not exact dollar.
PXG are very often resold at excellent price points compared to other irons, in fact they blow Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra away. Pings do well value wise, as do Titleist in my opinion.

Back