Search results for query: *

1. E

Wedge bounce explanation..

Once you've tried, let's say, 100+ different kind of wedge from, let's say, just about every major brand out there you can look at a wedge and know more than any set of numbers could tell you about how it's going to work for you. And trying wedges is fun! So my recommendation is skip the...
  2. E

what's the last thing you lost at the course?

Club Glove Caddie Towel a few months ago. I got caught in a downpour, draped the towel over my bag while I double-timed it back to the clubhouse. When I got there, the towel was gone. Gust of wind must have snatched it away while I was speed-walking and I didn't notice. Seems trivial but those...
  3. E

off the course do you wear golf logo hats and shirts?

I don't wear ball caps and my sun protection hats don't have logos so that's a moot point for me. I'd say about half my short sleeved polo style shirts have a golf course logo on them and half don't. I wear whatever shirt I'm in the mood for and if it's one of the logo'd ones that's fine. That...
  4. E

Interesting Group I was paired up with today - I am usually a single so I get what I get

You were waaaay more engaged than I ever would have been. Sounds like they were necessarily slow due to being beginners but doing the best they could to keep moving. That kind of stinks but it's something that hopefully you don't get stuck with more than once in a blue moon. As for what kind...
  5. E

How consistent are your golf balls?

Yeah, that's a durable meme around here going back years. Titleist is generally the most expensive ball and then the other majors price themselves the same or just a tiny bit less than Titleist. Right now Titleist is at $55, Callaway and Taylormade the same $55, while Bridgestone and Srixon are...
  6. E

Even with a swing robot it's going to be difficult, time consuming and expensive to quantify the amount of ball-to-ball variation in parameters like spin and ball speed. In most cases, to get a meaningful statistical estimate of variability requires far, far more trials than getting good...
  7. E

Over the long history of golf, there have definitely been periods when Titleist did better than "the rest" on quality and consistency. I think at the current time that may not be the case. After a lot of bad publicity, Callaway in particular had to tighten up their Q/C. The kind of crude...
  8. E

I found a ball in the rough the other day, looked OK and it was just a solo practice round so I decided to use it. First tee shot was kind of strange, it just did a sudden hook-and-dive move and was on the ground 100 yards after I hit it with a driver. Not a shot I normally hit but my swings...
  9. E

Old Man shakes fist at sky; handicap posting as a single

I'd say something like 95% of golfers in the world play by the Rules they agree with but ignore the Rules they don't like. So it isn't like the folks in this thread are unusual in any way.
  10. E

Swing speed from iron to iron.

If your set is like mine, the length difference from 9i to 54-degree is minimal. I think my 54-degree Vokey is 35-1/2" and my 9-iron is 36". Only way that 9i is going to swing faster is if I try to swing harder at it, which I don't really.
  11. E

GolfTEC... Wow, The Cost

I'm sure it's like country club dues and costs vary hugely depending on where you live. But for where I live $150 is pretty much double the going rate and it sounds like they want you to pay in advance for $1,000 worth of lessons. If so, that's a totally no-go as far as I'm concerned. It's a...
  12. E

Maxfli StraightFli - does it really fly straighter than other balls? Thank you!

Back in the day, when Bridgestone first came out with e6, it seemed like "a ball that flies straighter" would be hard to believe. But I gave them an honest try and played nothing else for about six months. Then I went back to the TP Red urethane ball I'd been playing before. There was no...
  13. E

Pops - Do you take advantage?

I used to have the problem of wanting so bad not to "waste" my stroke holes that I'd play super, super conservative and just try to do no worse than bogey. Not sure how I finally wised up but eventually I realized that "trying not to make a big number" is actually a good way to, in fact, make a...
  14. E

Do you know the loft and lie of your favorite putter?

Grandpa Simpson says in his day we didn't have loft on putters. And the golf balls were square, not round. We called them "golf cubes".
  15. E

Just curious...........what style putter is in your bag? Blade in mine. Thanks!

Anser Yeah, boring. But it works for me.
  16. E

Do you know the loft and lie of your favorite putter?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My putter was made over 50 years ago and I've owned it more than a decade now. Who knows what the specs are.
  17. E

What are your wedges of choice?

For almost as long as I've played golf, I've loved looking at all the wedges in a golf shop and trying new ones that "look like they'd work" for me. Just the coolest clubs in the bag and of course very important to your game. But year in and year out, about 90% of the time I'm playing Vokeys...
  18. E

Cheap rangefinder?

Rather than eBay I would look at Amazon for whatever cheap ($40-$50) model looks best to you and give one a try for a couple rounds. If it doesn't work, Amazon will take it back, no problem. Last time I went on vacation I had a scare when I thought my very nice Nikon image-stabilized...
  19. E

What Are You Working On?

I've lately recommitted to the basics. Alignment (square, square, square, square) and Tempo (fast is OK but keep it within reason). So far it's not generating any really low scores but it seems to be keeping my bad rounds in the 80's and those 93's and 95's off the scorecard. Sad to say but...
  20. E

Affordable golf shirts on Amazon

You could practically buy one each of half the shirts on that Michel Rouen page for what some pro shop merchandise is selling for at the golf course these days. OK, maybe not quite. But I just can't spend $125 on a shirt that I'm going to ruin with sweat, sunscreen and DEET within a couple dozen...
Back