Search results for query: *

1. E

Scorecard yardage lol.

Just dropping in to note that after repeatedly teasing the owner of the first course in this thread they now have an accurate scorecard.
  2. E

2022: Chasing Single Digits

The last several years I've had the hazy goal of getting under 10.0. I was a 17.5, got down to I think 11.7 and stalled out there. Equipment changes, practice, losing weight, etc. This year I tried another strategy. I'm accepting my game is what it is.. No more "if I just did this" thinking...
  3. E

What was your last "outside-the-box" equipment experiment?

I think it was my last driver where it had I think a one and ten gram weight for the toe and heel. It was a taylormade and I bought the weights meant to be used in the putters and put a 20 and 14 gram in the heel and toe. Gained like 30 yards overnight. Right now all my irons and wedges 4-LW...
  4. E

The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

The thing about the PGA tour is that it isn't really a third party entity. It isn't like James Dolan or Dan Snyder owns it and is doing stupid crap or colluding with other owners to underpay players out of greed. It has always been the case that the biggest names on tour are going to be in some...
  5. E

Because people who benefit from tradition get testy about that being challenged and usually act to preserve their position? It's a universal in sports. Whenever an athlete realizes the status quo does not serve their financial interests and pursues alternatives there will be a narrative about...
  6. E

Framing this as "stealing" or "poaching" is dehumanizing to the workers/contractors at issue. It implies a property interest. It is both morally dubious as well as interferes with an efficient labor market. It's bad for everyone without an interest in allowing capital to collude. Employers...
  7. E

WV/Southern OH

I'm in WV but a mite north of Charleston. A mite north of Wheeling, really. I lived in/around Charleston for a long time and that was a small part of the reason I didn't play for a decade. Charleston is a public golf dead zone. I mean, depending on how you feel about Cato Park.
  8. E

What is your biggest golf regret..?

As close to I get to a regret is that back 30-40 years ago I followed the then common wisdom that heavy lifting is bad for golf. Just amazingly stupid and given my injury history during HS and college it would made a huge difference. Once I started lifting heavy I never had another golf injury...
  9. E

What’s the most club you’ve taken on a par 3?

There is a par-3 here that is 230 often into the wind and I'll hit driver. I birdied it on Sunday for the first time since I started golfing again... I use a punch driver every now and then on shorter holes when I need a fade into a bit of wind.
  10. E

What Parts of Your Game Improved / Regressed This Year

I got into far better shape and found about 8mph of clubhead speed. Which is the main thing I take from the year. I lost about seventy pounds and added some muscle so my body is significantly different than it was in May, and my whole swing just feels disjointed. Even putting and chipping...
  11. E

Why does golf torture some of us?

"I play better than this but I never do." Being what we are is hard to take.
  12. E

Which golfer is most like you? (Read description in OP)

I'm mostly the second but not a fanatic about it. Given the choice I'll usually play a harder course and the furthest back tees within reason but sometimes it's nice to feed the ego with a low score.
  13. E

Is the 60º wedge really that hard?

So when you need loft near the green in a way where the ball doesn't touch the face? Which is pretty consistent... What I mean is that I'm not going to have a yardage where I hit a full lob unless I'm having the sort of day where I want to be really mad about something.
  14. E

Is the 60º wedge really that hard?

I'd always taken it as it is a bad idea for most of us to use the 60+ for full/nearly full swings because the ball can slip up the face and make distance control a problem. I only use it when I absolutely need the loft near the green. I don't use mine much, but more than I would if I replaced...
  15. E

Iron Covers... why not?

All existence is pain and detachment from frivolous material desires reduces that pain. No, pretty much by definition it does seeing that it is done with the fingers. I should introduce you to my friend. He makes it look like someone trying to disassemble and reassemble an m-16 in a sack...
  16. E

Iron Covers... why not?

I for one freely admit that me being bugged by iron covers is not all that rational. Just one of those things where I spent way too much psychic energy feeling guilty for trying and failing to stem the natural course of entropy and kind of resent being made to feel that way and iron covers give...
  17. E

Iron Covers... why not?

Pretty much, but I don't like the sound titanium makes when driver/3w/hi bounce off each other so those covers mostly stay on until I lose them, which should be pretty soon. The click of the irons is a pleasing sound so not an issue there. No cover on the putter. The putter I use now is the...
  18. E

Iron Covers... why not?

The idea of trying to preserve new things in ways that have nothing to do with function just bugs me because it is contrary to pretty much everything I think about life, much less golf. So everything that happens with losing a cover and going back or just watching someone not able to get the...
  19. E

Relief from Divot Rule?

Really, a lot of this is an evil of standardization IMO. There should be a way wider range of local rules that can be put in place from course to course that recognize differing conditions. The USGA could work these in to their course/slope ratings if they are worried about it. A divot is a...
  20. E

Best Golf Movie?

Here's a question: Is Peter Jacobsen the winningest real world golfer in fictional movie tournaments? He wins a fictional US open in Tin Cup, and wins a fictional Colonial in Dead Solid Perfect. I can't think of any other golfer with a win in a fictional tournament off the top of my head...
Back