145* how important is it?

Yahash

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so have been looking at my swing (I do have a pro I work with when i can 6-8 times a year)....

I noticed that from my shoulder down to my hands and then to the shaft I am at about 155-158* My posture is more upright when i compare a 6 iron video with a 5 iron of Rory, Jason, and a few other Pros (who have the 145* angle. Once i figure out how to export from Technique i can post a video.

I am wondering the importance level of trying to correct this.

In playing with it I am nothing somethings I like:

1. my back swing is shorter.... (if i get the video up my 6 iron is like Bubba with a driver)
2. I feel more compact
3. I am able to keep side bend easier (instead of trying to force it more)

It does feel like I am bent over so much (but that is just a feel - mirror shows it to not be the case).

Thoughts......

I don't think your swing is short or compact. You have a great deal of weight on your heels at address and you're very much over the top.

sorry the video is not of the adjustment, but prior... yeah its way too long and i am trying to get on plane... (that is the focus with my swing coach is getting on plane)

I was curious more about the angle at address... which I do not have a video trying to get it to 145* (I cut out some cardboard to help me figure out my wrists at that point)... before i go into this adjustment and giving my pro fits... I wanted to see your thoughts on its level of importance versus what I have in the video.

THANKS!

Yeah, you need to get your weight more on the center of your feet instead of the heels, and then bend at waist instead of curving your back. It's also clear from the video that you are taking the club back inside, laying off slightly, and then swinging a bit over-the-top. You really need to do the reverse, take it back slightly outside and then swing from the inside. At the top of your swing it's better to be a little crossed over rather than laid off, unless of course you're trying to hit a cut. But just fixing your balance and posture should help a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you need to get your weight more on the center of your feet instead of the heels, and then bend at waist instead of curving your back. It's also clear from the video that you are taking the club back inside, laying off slightly, and then swinging a bit over-the-top. You really need to do the reverse, take it back slightly outside and then swing from the inside. At the top of your swing it's better to be a little crossed over rather than laid off, unless of course you're trying to hit a cut. But just fixing your balance and posture should help a bit.

Fixing that posture element would by default also bring me closer 145*

Thanks! Hoping to get to the range and work on this a bunch.

https://youtu.be/Ft3Q6MaQg4c

This is some improvement. Still OTT but less - bent over more and closer to 145*. Shortened up the back swing some - still looking to get a bit shorter.... thoughts?

Why is that number important to you? Give yourself the waist flex that allows your arms to hang freely from your shoulders.

Why is that number important to you? Give yourself the waist flex that allows your arms to hang freely from your shoulders.

I was wondering the something. It's a number that has never been mentioned in any lesson I have taken.

If everyone was built exactly the same and swung the club exactly the same way then fair enough, but the golf swing is so specific to each individual that chasing numbers is pointless in my eyes (the same with those who chase specific launch monitor numbers that more than likely aren't what they need to get the most out of their swing)

That actually was the topic of my post. Should it be? When I was looking at multiple tour pros they all had it.

My goal is to stop being OTT and get a consistent swing with my distance back. What I am aiming at is a tour like swing - my own - but tour levels of mechanical efficiency and form.

If everyone was built exactly the same and swung the club exactly the same way then fair enough, but the golf swing is so specific to each individual that chasing numbers is pointless in my eyes (the same with those who chase specific launch monitor numbers that more than likely aren't what they need to get the most out of their swing)

Thanks doc!

I am definitely wanting my own swing as trying to replicate a Rory or Jason swing is nearly impossible for me - I have tried. My goal is to build a sound and consistent swing so finding the data points that matter to produce that swing is what I am trying to find out.

That actually was the topic of my post. Should it be? When I was looking at multiple tour pros they all had it.

My goal is to stop being OTT and get a consistent swing with my distance back. What I am aiming at is a tour like swing - my own - but tour levels of mechanical efficiency and form.

Tour pros have the same setup but I assure you they aren't worried about the degree of their angles. I created a thread about consistent setups, you should give it a look.

The angle you speak of is achieved by allowing the arms to hang freely from the shoulders. By freely I mean you don't have to draw them in or push them out. This guy be your body the space it needs to swing.

The feet are shoulder width apart and the weight falls just on or in back of the the balls of your feet with some knee flex.

From these positions you can mold a swing that will produce consistency. It takes a lot of work and dedication. If you want to impress be then you have to be committed. It's not a once in a while type thing.

Thanks Freddie...

Dedication isn't an issue here. The amount of changes that I have made in the last two years of working on getting a swing are crazy. I have a great pro I work with that has been able to help me get my ball flight better and more consistent. The challenge is how to get my OTT to stop and to learn to hit a high draw.

I got layed off over a month ago, so I don't have the funds to get my normal lessons in, but I have a range membership paid thru year. I get in about 8-10 hours of heavy range time a week right now. I also work on mechanics in the house and back yard with the kids to try and maximize changes.

If anything I may overdo it a bit - lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP- is there a camera trick going on with angles in the 11/15 video? It looks like alignment is pretty closed to the target. That can definitely affect your swing plane as you subconsciously make adjustments and compensations throughout the swing.

OP- is there a camera trick going on with angles in the 11/15 video? It looks like alignment is pretty closed to the target. That can definitely affect your swing plane as you subconsciously make adjustments and compensations throughout the swing.

Not sure if there is... I tried to get pretty straight DTL. I try to close down my shoulders to help promote an inside out swing. My tendency is to open my shoulders to the target line which would make my OTT worse.

Freddie let me know if I have my terms reversed.

Thanks Freddie...

Dedication isn't an issue here. The amount of changes that I have made in the last two years of working on getting a swing are crazy. I have a great pro I work with that has been able to help me get my ball flight better and more consistent. The challenge is how to get my OTT to stop and to learn to hit a high draw.

I got layed off over a month ago, so I don't have the funds to get my normal lessons in, but I have a range membership paid thru year. I get in about 8-10 hours of heavy range time a week right now. I also work on mechanics in the house and back yard with the kids to try and maximize changes.

If anything I may overdo it a bit - lol

Why is a high draw important? How about just solid contact.

This obsession with a high draw is so limiting to the game. Learn to make solid contact each each time and allow the natural shot shape to shine

Not sure if there is... I tried to get pretty straight DTL. I try to close down my shoulders to help promote an inside out swing. My tendency is to open my shoulders to the target line which would make my OTT worse.

Freddie let me know if I have my terms reversed.

It just looks like your left foot is dropped way back and you aren't aligned square to the target line.

Why is a high draw important? How about just solid contact.

This obsession with a high draw is so limiting to the game. Learn to make solid contact each each time and allow the natural shot shape to shine

Well it's only a focus since that is what my pro has sold me in trying to get into my base swing.

I would say you are right tho, I have very little chance of ever being pro - but a single digit hcp is attainable eventually.

Well it's only a focus since that is what my pro has sold me in trying to get into my base swing.

I would say you are right tho, I have very little chance of ever being pro - but a single digit hcp is attainable eventually.

Never could understand why a pro would sell a student on any ball flight. With an over the top swing the logical choice should have been a fade. Switching to an inside out delay wry with your delivery is going to create frustration and a two way miss. I'm sure you'll be employed again and that will take away from anytime you have since it's a new job. Work on solid contact vs a specific shot shape. This will serve you better in the long run.

Never could understand why a pro would sell a student on any ball flight. With an over the top swing the logical choice should have been a fade. Switching to an inside out delay wry with your delivery is going to create frustration and a two way miss. I'm sure you'll be employed again and that will take away from anytime you have since it's a new job. Work on solid contact vs a specific shot shape. This will serve you better in the long run.

Yeah I may (just maybe) dealing with that two way miss... the nasty push fade and the pull draw....

I will work on the solid contact and post on my swing journey to get thoughts and input for sure...

Thanks a ton for the time on my crazy adventure!

Back