15- or 16-degree hybrids?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Thinking about ditching my 3-wood and going with a low-loft hybrid around 15- or 16-degrees. Have heard a lot of good things about Tour Edge offerings, but what do others on this forum prefer?

I just replaced my 15.5 and 18 Mashie hybrids with a 3 and 5 wood, respectively. What are you looking for in the hybrid?

I just replaced my 15.5 and 18 Mashie hybrids with a 3 and 5 wood, respectively. What are you looking for in the hybrid?

I prefer the look of a hybrid behind the ball. My current 3-wood, while having a shallow profile, also likes to play in the left trees too often.

Based on your irons and clubs I am guessing you like to flight the all a bit. If that is the case, the Callaway Epic hybrid gets rave reviews from THPers. If you want raw distance, I have not found one better than the Steelhead XR or the Cobra F7, but the D300 from Wilson Staff was very close.

As you can see from my WITB sig, i am averse to fwy woods - and also like JDM stuff despite recently selling my Miura CB-57s and hybrid.

One totally under the radar option is the Srixon Z H65 in 16*. Great solid club.

Based on your irons and clubs I am guessing you like to flight the all a bit. If that is the case, the Callaway Epic hybrid gets rave reviews from THPers. If you want raw distance, I have not found one better than the Steelhead XR or the Cobra F7, but the D300 from Wilson Staff was very close.

Epic hybrid or Apex????

I know @OITW put the 2-3 F6 hybrid in play at 17* last year and success with it. I think the F7 is a better overall club from the deck (believer in the rails) so that could be a good recommendation. If the D300 3h is any indication, that should be one of the easiest low lofted hybrids to hit.

I Game an Exotics Trilogy 17* hybrid from time to time. I had a chance to hit the ex10 17* at a recent demo day. My mere mortal swing speed couldn't keep it in the air but for a faster swinger it could be a bomber. I hit the 3,4 and 5h well and will be a bag ponder down the road when prices drop.

King F7 hybrid will go down to 16 degrees and is my recommendation.

I tried this last season and ended up with a 16 degree 3 wood and 19 degree hybrid instead of two hybrids. Just didnt work for me. Hope you have better luck.

I know @OITW put the 2-3 F6 hybrid in play at 17* last year and success with it. I think the F7 is a better overall club from the deck (believer in the rails) so that could be a good recommendation. If the D300 3h is any indication, that should be one of the easiest low lofted hybrids to hit.

I like it better both tee and deck at 19* though which is what I'm going with this year

It was a much better off the tee than deck club at 16* for me

I Game an Exotics Trilogy 17* hybrid from time to time. I had a chance to hit the ex10 17* at a recent demo day. My mere mortal swing speed couldn't keep it in the air but for a faster swinger it could be a bomber. I hit the 3,4 and 5h well and will be a bag ponder down the road when prices drop.

The Trilogy 17 is kind of a unicorn because it is the only low lofted hybrid that I've hit that is still manageable by those with "mere mortal" swing speed. That one has good trajectory and sets up well behind the ball (slightly larger head relative to that loft).

The 588 2H works as well, but that one has 18 degrees of loft. I have had better luck with that one than I did with other Cleveland hybrids.

I have tried the Adams titanium hybrids at 18 degrees and lower lofts. They're good off the tee, but I just don't have the swing speed to do anything with them off the deck.

I'll give this thread a go opposed to starting a new one. I have a conundrum.......

15 degree hybrids are supposed to be hard to hit in the air, my swing speed and tempo are not supported by a NV-S shaft. I bought a Ping G10 15* with the NV shaft at a garage sale, and I hit the thing a mile. I've had it for months in the garage, and finally gave it a go once my driver went south (again).

Now to the problem. The distance gap between my Driver (when behaving) and the hybrid is only 15 yards, but the hybrid is crazy straight. Am I insane to think I can play this hybrid as my primary tee club?

I play an M6 3 wood (14 degree) and the next club in my bag is a 17 degree 2H.
The hybrid is a few years old. Mizuno JPX. Their 16 degree CLK would be the nearest current model.

I like having both, but if you are good with the gap between driver and the hybrid... I could see losing the 3W.

Personally, I like to hit 3W off the tee when the driver is misbehaving so it's a key club for me more often than I'd care to admit.

I'll give this thread a go opposed to starting a new one. I have a conundrum.......

15 degree hybrids are supposed to be hard to hit in the air, my swing speed and tempo are not supported by a NV-S shaft. I bought a Ping G10 15* with the NV shaft at a garage sale, and I hit the thing a mile. I've had it for months in the garage, and finally gave it a go once my driver went south (again).

Now to the problem. The distance gap between my Driver (when behaving) and the hybrid is only 15 yards, but the hybrid is crazy straight. Am I insane to think I can play this hybrid as my primary tee club?

No.

I disagree that a 15° hybrid is supposed to be hard to hit in the air. Of course, I hit a high ball and figure I could get that 0° iron shown on the YouTube video in the air just fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The new Ping 410 Hybrids are pretty explosive. The 2 Hybrid goes down to 15.5. The Srixon H85 16 degree Hybrid is a bomber as well.

Anpther possible is the PING G410 2 Hybrid (I am considering this strongly to eliminate a fairway wood). I play the 3 and 4 G410 and love them. Rocketships. The thing I especially like and you may too is the flat setting. This has basically eliminated the random hybrid hook I had before. Just my 2 cents...

https://ping.com/clubs/hybrids/g410

Anpther possible is the PING G410 2 Hybrid (I am considering this strongly to eliminate a fairway wood). I play the 3 and 4 G410 and love them. Rocketships. The thing I especially like and you may too is the flat setting. This has basically eliminated the random hybrid hook I had before. Just my 2 cents...

https://ping.com/clubs/hybrids/g410

This has crept into my mind as well. "If I can hit the G10 well, then I should be able to hit the G410 much better". The conversation rolling around in my head.....

I play a 17 degree Titleist hybrid instead of a 5 wood or 4 wood and my 3 wood is 917 f3 13.5 degrees. Lower loft adds Ballspeed and I need it. No problems with traj or spin with the prov1x ball. 10.5 917 f3 driver. I hit the 3 wood off the tee and the deck with no problems. I play for max carry of 205 off a tee and 195 without on the 2h. SS is somewhere around 98 maybe?

I just bought a Titelist 2H 818 and I am going to set it to 17 degrees and have it replace my 3w for now. I am crushing my 4h 815 and using it and my Heavenwood to drive right now. 3w might as well be out of the bag. Don't hit it off the tee or deck right now.

I own several hybrids but none have ever stayed in my bag for more than a few rounds as I still favor a driving iron. I just ordered a Srixon U85 H so I’ll recommend that one.

Back