2-Putt For 18 Holes...Happy?

as much as I support and encourage the idea of practice, I think the first and most important thing to do is learn proper technique in putting. If you don't have good technique, you may still really struggle on the greens and that could cause a lot of frustration when you put the time in to practicing.

When I am alone I focus on two balls from pretty much any direction or angle and work almost specifically on direction and strike quality.

With friends, we play a game where you pick a hole and putt to it, but if you don't hole the putt you have to back the ball up a putter length and continue putting. It removes the tap in opportunity and really forces you to make some knee knockers. It's pretty fun.
Moving the ball back is a good idea for that kind of game. Put a little cash on it too, and those second putts have got some real pressure.

One of the my local course allows you to chip onto the putting green the other does not. So, I take one ball chip to a hole and then try and make the putt. I think the next time I do this anytime I have a tap in I'll pull it back a putter length as mentioned above.

2 putts per hole / 36 putts per round is my goal. Yes, I am happy if I can do that and I consider that “par” for my putting. Sometimes my 1st putt is 40’... sometimes it’s 10’... either way I still have a 2-putt “goal” when on the course and judge my putting for the day by that measureable stat.

I do practice putting, but not nearly enough. Occasional drills as mentioned, but lots of lag putting practice and trying to 2-putt from cup to cup around the green. And yes to earbuds!

Center face contact is often neglected on putting. The gate drill is one of my favorites to get started with on the putting green. I focus on stroke and center contact. Then from there I do clock drill and ladder drill. 36 puts per round is far too many as I dont hit every green

I read each bullet point you had, and that sounds great and all.

I'm simply asking as someone who probably has a short attention span and finds nothing fun about putting, call me a millennial I don't care. I get the importance and how it can lower scores tremendously, but damn if after a few rolls I'm just like "alright I'm done" but walking off feeling no better or worse about my putting.

If I think it's boring now to putt 2 or 3 golf balls at a time I'd lose my mind just putting 1. I'd at least like to get some sort of speed right putting another 1 or 2 until I feel better about the speed prior to a round.

Do you have any idea how many times today I was happy I played with who I played with since he consistently gave me reads on putts putting from a further distance? I don't put much of an effort into putting is what I'm saying, just simply get by, I'm trying to figure out a way to work on this part of my game from a mental aspect, it's boring sorry to say.

You have to practice with a purpose just like you do on the range. Or do you just beat balls on the range to warm up and stretch? You can't just get on the green, hit a few putts and say "ok I'm done" .... at least if you're practicing anyway. That's what we all do when we are late for our tee time or heading to the first tee.
Is the game itself boring to you or is it just putting? Do you hit it in the fairway then on the green and then lose interest? I don't get how just one aspect of the game can be boring. If you made more putts, wouldn't that make it exciting? You hit 3 bad shots on the hole but you made that 20 footer for par ... still counts the same as the others but it was satisfying that you made par the hard way.

You have to practice with a purpose just like you do on the range. Or do you just beat balls on the range to warm up and stretch? You can't just get on the green, hit a few putts and say "ok I'm done" .... at least if you're practicing anyway. That's what we all do when we are late for our tee time or heading to the first tee.
Is the game itself boring to you or is it just putting? Do you hit it in the fairway then on the green and then lose interest? I don't get how just one aspect of the game can be boring. If you made more putts, wouldn't that make it exciting? You hit 3 bad shots on the hole but you made that 20 footer for par ... still counts the same as the others but it was satisfying that you made par the hard way.
Everything you said is right. I love the game, putting during a round is fun, I'm just talking about practicing with a purpose, putting is just not fun.

I can chip for 2 straight hours if I wanted to with wedges 60 yards out, flop shots over bunkers, chipping down a slope, chipping with hybrids, 8iron, PW, wedges, bunker practice, and be happy as a pig in sh!t. On the range it's fun getting the alignment stick out and work on just hitting good golf shots. Case in point...I was at the range last Saturday from 12:00-2:15. I putted zero times. Spent an hour with short chips and long chips with wedges then hit a large bucket and went home.

Making more putts would be more exciting, cutting my putt average to 28-31 a round would be super exciting. I just don't like doing it, or care to do it. I'm trying to find ways to even spend just 15 minutes in this area even though I get impatient pretty quick with the flat stick, hence why I don't practice.

Well, first off, some people have low putt average (30 or less) but missed a lot of greens and just chipped close.

But, as to drills, my favorite drill is just a random up and down drill. Stand on a green, throw 15 balls all over the place randomly, everything from greenside to 40 yards out. I then will hit each ball to the green. Since it's random, I have to think about every shot. Eventually, all 15 balls are (hopefully) on the green. Now I'm trying to make the putt. Again, you have to take your time to think with each putt, and there's some pressure on it to make it. Obviously, the goal is to get as many 'up and downs' as possible.

When I'm working on technique, fundamentals, whatever, I just do a ladder/around the world putting drill. 3 balls in a line, 18" increments. Putt the closest one in, then middle, then furthest. After that, move around the cup and make another line of balls. I do this for 8 'lines,' and I'm honestly looking to make every putt, consecutively. This drill is a little more tedious, but it helps a lot with those 4-5 footers out on the course.

~Rock

If I think it's boring now to putt 2 or 3 golf balls at a time I'd lose my mind just putting 1. I'd at least like to get some sort of speed right putting another 1 or 2 until I feel better about the speed prior to a round.

I get it, and everyone is different. But for me, bringing multiple balls onto the green is the equivalent of mindlessly beating balls on the range. If I'm not treating the putt like it's my only shot at it, then I don't really focus, because subconsciously I know I've got another shot (or two) at it.

I miss a lot of greens so I'd like to be below 36 per 18 if possible as that means I'm chipping at least relatively well.

I putt in the house when I think about it, but nothing beats time on a real grass green. If I'm going out to practice and I've got the whole practice green to myself I'll do all the standard stuff: balls from all around the hole, 3, 6 footers, etc. What I also do when I manage to get a good portion of the green to myself, is make a little par 2 course out of as many flags as I can. Try to get around to all the flags in 1-2 putts. If you 3 putt start over. Helps keep it entertaining, especially on larger practice greens where the holes are farther apart.

Back