20* - 23* - 27*: Is this a problem?

BDoubleG

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

So I'm thinking about picking up some new irons, but here's my qualm:

I have a 20* and 23* hybrid, neither of which I will EVER part with. That said, the set I want (i15) 5-iron starts at 27*. Will this extra degree of loft have any real effect on my distance gaps? I've looked at my options on a monitor, but there's pretty much no way for me to test this outside.

Thanks for your help!

Im just going to keep it short, but No. I am wondering the same thing currently and that extra degree has no effect or no noticeable affect for that matter on my distance gaps. Even so if your distances don't flow properly it is not that big of a deal.

For example if you hit your 23* 190-200 yards, and then your 27* 170-180 yards, that 10 yard gap is minimal in my opinion. Even though these clubs are stuck at the lofts they are at, they are still versatile with the ability to choke up and hit them soft, or really go hard at it to get the extra distance. a 4* gap is fine and you should have no troubles.

Awesome...that's more or less what I was thinking, but some validation always make me feel better! Thanks a ton!

...looks like the wallet is about to get lighter...

Awesome...that's more or less what I was thinking, but some validation always make me feel better! Thanks a ton!

...looks like the wallet is about to get lighter...

Something that always makes me think clear is this:

You're 910 is probably a 9.5* or so and then your 3w probably being around a 14,15* correct? When you think of it does that 5 or 6* gap hurt your game? Not at all. The larger gap is better to offer more available club distances.

Something that always makes me think clear is this:

You're 910 is probably a 9.5* or so and then your 3w probably being around a 14,15* correct? When you think of it does that 5 or 6* gap hurt your game? Not at all. The larger gap is better to offer more available club distances.

Ya, that does make a lot of sense...plus, my game is nowhere near consistent enough to know where I'll hit my clubs to within a yard or two...a good 10-15 yd window works for me, and that shouldn't matter with the 1 degree of difference.

Thanks again!

You could also get the i15's bent a little stronger.

Ya, I did consider that, but then I think I'm opening up a world of trouble...that 4* change will just keep moving down the line until I get to 8-iron, meanwhile I'm messing with my bounce angles etc.

Thanks though...I do honestly appreciate the input :)

Back