Judging from reading through this thread again, Phil proved a lot of us to be dead wrong....

Judging from reading through this thread again, Phil proved a lot of us to be dead wrong....

yup... I thought he was going to choke coming down the stretch. I wanted fred to pull one out, then he shanked his approach on 18... way to go pal!

Phil can hit a beautiful three wood... now he just needs that driver to come back

I don't see Phil winning any tournaments unless the field is extremely weak. IMO, Phil has converted his entire game mechanically. He used to be a feel play, but now everything is two drivers, customized driver, putter stance open 1 degree, etc. etc.

Besides him not winning any tournaments, I don't feel that he will play within the top 20 in any major this year.

I guess I was wrong in my previous statement. However, if Stricker hadn't fell apart on 18, then I believe Phil would have lost. His driver and putter was off. He should use the three wood more thus eliminating some of the scrambling.

I guess I was wrong in my previous statement. However, if Stricker hadn't fell apart on 18, then I believe Phil would have lost. His driver and putter was off. He should use the three wood more thus eliminating some of the scrambling.

well, his putter was off from time to time... he DRILLED some massive eagle putts!

well, his putter was off from time to time... he DRILLED some massive eagle putts!

The long eagle putts were great, but what about the 4-6 footers that he missed by lipping them out.

The long eagle putts were great, but what about the 4-6 footers that he missed by lipping them out.

Exactly..that's why I asked about Pelz. I struggle with my alignment putting on the course and my Swing Coach is working with me on it. I guess I'm just like Phil one minute I rail a 30 footer in the back of the jar and then the next I lip out or just slide by the side on a 3 footer!

Just barely though. Up by four shots after the third round, an eagle on 1 . . .

. . . followed by 5 bogies and no birdies, and a fall out of the lead until he absolutely had to birdie 16 and 17.

These guys (Lefty included) need to learn how to stretch a lead, not just coast on it. Otherwise, Tiger, who already knows how to do it, is going to continue to eat these guys for lunch. He's going to continue to catch them when he's behind, and beat them worse when he's already ahead.

I wanted to see Phil win by 8 shots. That would have given me some hope for the possibility of real competition when Tiger is back.

Just barely though. Up by four shots after the third round, an eagle on 1 . . .

. . . followed by 5 bogies and no birdies, and a fall out of the lead until he absolutely had to birdie 16 and 17.

These guys (Lefty included) need to learn how to stretch a lead, not just coast on it. Otherwise, Tiger, who already knows how to do it, is going to continue to eat these guys for lunch. He's going to continue to catch them when he's behind, and beat them worse when he's already ahead.

I wanted to see Phil win by 8 shots. That would have given me some hope for the possibility of real competition when Tiger is back.

Well said, does anyone really think Tiger would have shanked his second shot on 18 if it were him playing with Phil instead of Couples? I will give Phil props for winning but it certainly wasn't dominating.

Does anyone think that Phil reads THP??? He sure is making a run for it this weekend. He's out to prove the doubter's wrong.

I actually agree with Julie in that he will be less and less of a factor as time goes on. I predict that his world ranking will continue to drop. He won't retire but his best days are behind him. He just doesn't seem hungry to win anymore.

I'll admit when I'm wrong LefTe. Phil is playing great.

I'll admit when I'm wrong LefTe. Phil is playing great.

Hey I was right there with ya remember I'm the one who thought he was on autopilot. I hope it continues as it only makes the game stronger.

Back