2019 Metal Woods Sales Rankings - What do you think it is?

Not wanting to start an argument. Just trying to clarify. I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Jman said in the OP "I'm going to list the top brands in metal woods the past year for in-store sales". "metal woods" generally mean fairway metals marked as 3W, 5W, 7W. I would not expect it to include hybrids based on normal usage of the term.

I should have been more clear that Jman specified the type of club being measured. JB is the one who stated the rankings were off-course only. This was in response to my request for clarification of what was included in what Jman referred to as "in-store sales". It wasn't clear to me whether this included big box stores like Walmart and Sam's Club, and on-course pro shops.
Hybrids have always been included in metal woods, fwiw.

Also, on the in-store part, just a couple sentences below what you quoted in the OP.....

Again, I want you to rank them according to what you think, and its based off of off-course/in-store sales specifically....

It’s a fun topic intended on being a fun conversation which if overwhelmingly has been, and nothing that’s drama inducing at all.

So I’m still confused. Pointed out that this Includes fairways and hybrids. Drivers too ?

When I hear metal woods I don’t think of drivers. So To leftshot’s credit I don’t consider a hybrid a metal wood either. When I hear metal wood I think fairway woods only. JUst my humble opinion.

Also in regard to off course sales does PXG even have any ? Most of their fitting centers are on site at country clubs from my experience.

Does in store sales include online sales ?
Not sure why these statistics even have to be segregated. Especially in today’s omnichannel retail environment.

What matters to me is total sales (online, in a golf shop, big box store, wholesale club, in a pro shop, etc).

Good grief y’all.

Metal woods has always been the terminology since moving from persimmon to all metal woods, driver is in fact a 1w. That terminology persists today and I know for a fact I’ve used it in reviews for over 7 years. Hybrids don’t fit with irons because by design they’re more fairway tech, but beyond that they’re bought separately like woods, not like irons in sets. Are there split sets sold, before someone goes after semantics here, sure, but that’s not the same.

As for the data. It is recorded in two manners, on course and off course. These, as stated from the start are all off course sales.

I was going to do more of these, but I’m not sure it’s worth it now. Haha

Good grief y’all.

Metal woods has always been the terminology since moving from persimmon to all metal woods, driver is in fact a 1w. That terminology persists today and I know for a fact I’ve used it in reviews for over 7 years. Hybrids don’t fit with irons because by design they’re more fairway tech, but beyond that they’re bought separately like woods, not like irons in sets. Are there split sets sold, before someone goes after semantics here, sure, but that’s not the same.

As for the data. It is recorded in two manners, on course and off course. These, as stated from the start are all off course sales.

It’s worth it. Bring it on. This is an 8 page thread. 90% of it is informative and interesting.

Good grief y’all.

Just provide it and let people digest it how they want.

It’s worth it. Bring it on. This is an 8 page thread. 90% of it is informative and interesting.
Agreed. Super interesting thread James.

Good grief y’all.

Sorry if I caused any heartburn. The reason for my post was to get clarification. I wanted to have a buddy of mine rank these who is not on the forums any longer. Just to give us something to discuss in our next email.

But I wanted to give him all the specifics of What was meant by “metal woods“ and “off course sales” so that he was straight. Since I wasn’t clear I asked. No more no less.

@Jman are fitters like Club Champion included in this data? Technically they are off course, but didn't know if their sales were tracked in this bucket? Also this is units & not dollars correct? Thanks!

Back