2020 Better You Fitness Thread

"Long" run scheduled for tomorrow. Hoping for 6 miles. Yeah, yeah, yeah... not exactly long just yet, but it'll have to do.

"Long" run scheduled for tomorrow. Hoping for 6 miles. Yeah, yeah, yeah... not exactly long just yet, but it'll have to do.

6 miles is a good distance, tho...when I was a "runner" while on active duty, 5-6 miles a day was the norm...8-10 on Saturdays. there was more to see on the island than here, tho

edit - i don't know that i wanna get back to those distances but i'd be happy enough with 3 in 28 min right now :cry:

6 miles is a good distance, tho...when I was a "runner" while on active duty, 5-6 miles a day was the norm...8-10 on Saturdays. there was more to see on the island than here, tho

edit - i don't know that i wanna get back to those distances but i'd be happy enough with 3 in 28 min right now :cry:

I headed out with the goal of 6 miles. Had no intentions of running fast... just wanted to get it in. Made it back to the house around 6.1 miles and just over 54 minutes so I figured I might as well push it out to one hour. Made it to one hour at 6.7 miles so I figured I'd push it out to 7 miles. That's the farthest I've run since July 2018. I'll take it... for now.

I headed out with the goal of 6 miles. Had no intentions of running fast... just wanted to get it in. Made it back to the house around 6.1 miles and just over 54 minutes so I figured I might as well push it out to one hour. Made it to one hour at 6.7 miles so I figured I'd push it out to 7 miles. That's the farthest I've run since July 2018. I'll take it... for now.

that's my approach to getting back in shape...time doesn't matter. the distance does...I know it'll come back but it's hurting my pride to have put myself in this spot :facepalm:

that's my approach to getting back in shape...time doesn't matter. the distance does...I know it'll come back but it's hurting my pride to have put myself in this spot :facepalm:

Well, I'm contemplating running another marathon next year. Might run the OKC Memorial Half this year in October. My training plan includes running 4 days each week. Sunday is my long day and I don't worry so much about time that day. Tuesday, in the past, has been my day to work on speed.

I'm trying to get to the point that I can run a half marathon. Following a 10 week training plan. Not really training for a particular race, just trying to improve my cardio and overall fitness and I feel like it's easier with that concrete goal in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I've done my share of long runs. Not for a while, but I know what to expect. I'm not the fastest, but I'm proud of a couple of those runs. The 21.06 was probably my best run ever.Running15s.PNG

I'm trying to get to the point that I can run a half marathon. Following a 10 week training plan. Not really training for a particular race, just trying to improve my cardio and overall fitness and I feel like it's easier with that concrete goal in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Good luck. A running routine can only help you. Just listen to your body and don't be afraid to back off it for a couple weeks if you're going too far too soon. I screwed up training for my first marathon and ended up with a shin splint that kept me out of running for 2.5 months. Definitely wasn't great for the training.

Just looked. I ran 1093 miles in 2015. Not sure I'll get back there since I was 5 years younger, unemployed for about 6 months of that, on terminal leave for about 2 months of it, and training for a marathon, but I think 500-600 miles each year is very doable.

Just looked. I ran 1093 miles in 2015. Not sure I'll get back there since I was 5 years younger, unemployed for about 6 months of that, on terminal leave for about 2 months of it, and training for a marathon, but I think 500-600 miles each year is very doable.

I think my peak year was 2011 (100-120mi a month)...first full year that I was healthy after multiple surgeries. before this most recent surgery, I was probably doing 50-60mi...but at a leisurely pace and level of effort...

I think my peak year was 2011 (100-120mi a month)...first full year that I was healthy after multiple surgeries. before this most recent surgery, I was probably doing 50-60mi...but at a leisurely pace and level of effort...

100-120 is not easy. The most I ever did was 147 in July 2015.

there was a 4-5 month stretch where I spent a lot of time in Hawaii, Guam and mainland Japan...running was my sightseeing so I ran a lot on those trips. The thing I told people about me running so much was that it helped me find bars. :rolleyes:

just finished a 2 mile run...in 25 minutes 😑...i'm so outta shape.
Gotta start somewhere buddy. Not to work on getting that down to 12 minutes. ;)

as evident by my gear whoring, I was a running shoe ***** back then...my wife hated it...but probably less than she hates my golf addiction.

Gotta start somewhere buddy. Not to work on getting that down to 12 minutes. ;)
My 2 mile repeat workout were some of my favorite,and most rewarding, workouts.Screenshot_20200503-140927_Connect.jpg

My 2 mile repeat workout were some of my favorite,and most rewarding, workouts.

I use to use a lot of 2 mi workouts for my guys/girls when they struggled...they seemed to enjoy them more than the 5 mile runs :LOL:

Running is just not for me as my body does not like it anymore. Anyway I’ve been on a good streak here the past 6 weeks. Working out as much as I can, only taking a break when my body says it needs some rest. Still walking daily so the dogs are happy and I’m not worried about walking 18 anymore.

as evident by my gear whoring, I was a running shoe ***** back then...my wife hated it...but probably less than she hates my golf addiction.

Oh, I can commiserate. My wife thought I was crazy at times, too. I probably had 5 or 6 pairs of shoes at a time, just for running. Couldn't come close to the money I've spent on golf though. To go one step further, my golf expenditures pale in comparison to the money I dropped on my Jeep.

I use to use a lot of 2 mi workouts for my guys/girls when they struggled...they seemed to enjoy them more than the 5 mile runs :LOL:

Yeah, but throw 4 of those 2 mile runs back to back to back to back after a short rest in between and it'll get to ya quickly!

Running is just not for me as my body does not like it anymore. Anyway I’ve been on a good streak here the past 6 weeks. Working out as much as I can, only taking a break when my body says it needs some rest. Still walking daily so the dogs are happy and I’m not worried about walking 18 anymore.

I love to run. My body is starting to scream at me at times, but I just scream back and it's all good. I have been pondering getting a road bike to put some miles on this summer in the crazy temps and this winter in the crazy wind. We'll see how it all goes.

I love to run. My body is starting to scream at me at times, but I just scream back and it's all good. I have been pondering getting a road bike to put some miles on this summer in the crazy temps and this winter in the crazy wind. We'll see how it all goes.
It wasn’t to many years ago that I was racing road bikes. Ended up getting hurt and just never went back after that. It’s great for endurance workouts that’s for sure.

yeah, I know I should probably start looking for an alternate cardio choice but running has always been it...I need to start walking the dogs more as well. rest is good.

yeah, I know I should probably start looking for an alternate cardio choice but running has always been it...I need to start walking the dogs more as well. rest is good.

Well, don't get me wrong. Running will always be my favorite and, hopefully, my go to workout, but there are days when it's 100+ and I'm supposed to run 10 miles or so or when it's 30° with a 30mph wind that I'd just rather opt to ride. I'd never completely stop running, but I could stand to bike a couple times a week instead of running all the time.

Well, don't get me wrong. Running will always be my favorite and, hopefully, my go to workout, but there are days when it's 100+ and I'm supposed to run 10 miles or so or when it's 30° with a 30mph wind that I'd just rather opt to ride. I'd never completely stop running, but I could stand to bike a couple times a week instead of running all the time.

there are two things that give me a clear head:

1) running (once I am in "running" shape)

2) solo diving (yeah, frowned upon but so relaxing and I practice(d) redundant air source and have/had good water skills)

there are two things that give me a clear head:

1) running (once I am in "running" shape)

2) solo diving (yeah, frowned upon but so relaxing and I practice(d) redundant air source and have/had good water skills)

Definitely frowned upon. Might be a little less unsafe (still wouldn't consider it safe enough to use the word "safer") with today's technology.

Back