2020 Edition - Best Hats for Sun Protection

H8tobogie

MC Team Hackers 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
We are hitting that time of year where I always start considering a boonie hat or something to provide more sun protection and to date, I have never gone for one. This year, I vow to get something and use it. I actually left the course today because the sun was beating down and I was just tired of feeling the sun on my neck. I know we had this discussion last year... so those who bought a hat and would still recommend the brand they went with - please chime in. @time4tim - I recall you had a brand that I recall considering, but never pulled the trigger. What was that brand again? And, how did it hold up and work for you?

Anyone else with recommendations, lets have em! I am definitely getting something this year as much as I love the plain ball cap.

There are quite a bit on Amazon, but haven't seen any that I really like just yet.

For convenience, nothing beats a bucket hat - William Murray (that Bill Murray) bucket is good, but I'd like more protection - slightly wider brim would be good.

All the others make you look more like a dweeb or an Australian Cowboy -

Take a look at the Aussie Chillers. They have a "bushie" hat (looks like the Australian style), and also offer bucket hats. They're comfortable, hold up well, and you can wet them down when it's really hot for some extra cooling. I also like that they're a little heavier/more substantial than straw hats, so they stay on your head a little better if it gets breezy.

Take a look at the Aussie Chillers. They have a "bushie" hat (looks like the Australian style), and also offer bucket hats. They're comfortable, hold up well, and you can wet them down when it's really hot for some extra cooling. I also like that they're a little heavier/more substantial than straw hats, so they stay on your head a little better if it gets breezy.
I will check them out. I like the Aussie Boonie look over the bucket hat look. I don’t like the huge Titleist boonie hats though

I will check them out. I like the Aussie Boonie look over the bucket hat look. I don’t like the huge Titleist boonie hats though

Good luck, I had an Aussie Chiller - nada for me. Probably isn't a style I haven't tried.

Here you go...

Heat and Humidity coming on strong, I going to give this a try this year. https://www.imperialsports.com/product/the-geysir/

Good luck, I had an Aussie Chiller - nada for me. Probably isn't a style I haven't tried.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of anything I've seen so far. I am willing to give something a try this year though. Will probably last about 9 holes unless I score a P.B. then I will sleep in it.

Heat and Humidity coming on strong, I going to give this a try this year. https://www.imperialsports.com/product/the-geysir/
Yeah it's a real threat and I have not been the best at putting on sunscreen when I am in a hurry. Thanks for sharing!

This is still my favorite sun hat. I use this or the comparable Pukka hat that is very similar. In the pic, the top of the hat looks firm, but it's soft, not structured, and has a mess lining on the inside. Brim is stiffer and not floppy like Gilligan hats, an inch wider at the back for your neck. Love it!!
1589555493193.png

I've had some skin cancer issues in the past. I have a couple of different hats that I wear. My dermatologist suggests it should have at least a 3 inch brim. I have a couple of straw gambler style golf hat that I wear. I also have a couple of sun hats from Coolibar. I know that they have golf specific sun hats also.

We are hitting that time of year where I always start considering a boonie hat or something to provide more sun protection and to date, I have never gone for one. This year, I vow to get something and use it. I actually left the course today because the sun was beating down and I was just tired of feeling the sun on my neck. I know we had this discussion last year... so those who bought a hat and would still recommend the brand they went with - please chime in. @time4tim - I recall you had a brand that I recall considering, but never pulled the trigger. What was that brand again? And, how did it hold up and work for you?

Anyone else with recommendations, lets have em! I am definitely getting something this year as much as I love the plain ball cap.

There are quite a bit on Amazon, but haven't seen any that I really like just yet.

These are more of a fishing hat but they work well for golf. The brims aren't too big as to where you might hit it with your follow through like some hats that are big brimmed. Also what is the big seller is the brim doesn't flop around. Just enough protection for the face and especially the ears. You can remove the straps very easily if needed also.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of anything I've seen so far. I am willing to give something a try this year though. Will probably last about 9 holes unless I score a P.B. then I will sleep in it.

Exactly. Next time I shoot a PB, I'm not washing any of my clothes and I'm wearing the same stuff the next round! :ROFLMAO:

These are more of a fishing hat but they work well for golf. The brims aren't too big as to where you might hit it with your follow through like some hats that are big brimmed. Also what is the big seller is the brim doesn't flop around. Just enough protection for the face and especially the ears. You can remove the straps very easily if needed also.
These are the leader in the house. I like their look the best. Plus, fishing is one of my other passions, so there's that! Thanks, Tim!

Might be a little different, but my favourite full brim hat is my Tilley. They have many options - my go-to is the TWC7 Outback Waxed.

Tilley Hats

These are the leader in the house. I like their look the best. Plus, fishing is one of my other passions, so there's that! Thanks, Tim!
I like the look, but the one thing I don't like still with those were the brims are too floppy for me

This is still my favorite sun hat. I use this or the comparable Pukka hat that is very similar. In the pic, the top of the hat looks firm, but it's soft, not structured, and has a mess lining on the inside. Brim is stiffer and not floppy like Gilligan hats, an inch wider at the back for your neck. Love it!!
View attachment 8943356

I've got two of those - doesn't fold well.

I've got two of those - doesn't fold well.
True. I never fold mine. Don't like the crease in the stiffer brim. Don't think the stiffer brims are meant to be folded

Had a couple of Nike sun hats that wore out and couldn't find any more. Went with Oregon Research hats and I love them.

Had a couple of Nike sun hats that wore out and couldn't find any more. Went with Oregon Research hats and I love them.
Those are good too. Just wish they had a white one. Could never find one.

True. I never fold mine. Don't like the crease in the stiffer brim. Don't think the stiffer brims are meant to be folded

You are correct - I ironed the folds out - but I like to be able to stuff the hat into a bag - It needs to be portable and care-free for me. Probably why a bucket hat is a good option for me. Just wish the brim was slightly wider because I don't want another Moh's surgery.

You are correct - I ironed the folds out - but I like to be able to stuff the hat into a bag - It needs to be portable and care-free for me. Probably why a bucket hat is a good option for me. Just wish the brim was slightly wider because I don't want another Moh's surgery.
Don't blame you a bit. I sure hope you don't have to do that again. That's exactly why I wear the wide brim hats. My wife has had a Moh surgery on the back of her leg, and my father on the top of his head. I DON'T want one.

I ordered a $15 sun hat today off of amazon to deliver next week. I need to wear one, but always revert back to a cap. If I can get used to it, I may order a better one

Don't blame you a bit. I sure hope you don't have to do that again. That's exactly why I wear the wide brim hats. My wife has had a Moh surgery on the back of her leg, and my father on the top of his head. I DON'T want one.

Twice for me - already - on the side where a ball cap provides no protectiion

Twice for me - already - on the side where a ball cap provides no protectiion
Not good. Sunscreen and a good hat. Protect it the best you can. Good luck, and hope you find something that works for you.

Not good. Sunscreen and a good hat. Protect it the best you can. Good luck, and hope you find something that works for you.

Sure, I use sunscreen - Skin or Jack Black. The bucket works if pulled low enough. MIght get the Billy Murry wide brim. lol

Back