EXPERIENCE 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

Do you remember how much range time you got before the 1st round?

It'll vary year to year depending on how long you're at the clubhouse beforehand getting food and carts situated. According to the timestamps on some pics I took on our first day of golfing at The Hideaway:

8:00: Arrived at clubhouse
8-820: Breakfast
8:25: Clubhouse locker room (all pics PG rated!)
8:30: At range
9:30: Still at range but probably ended soon
9:45: At starting hole (17)

Day 2 for us there was a lot of rain the day/night before so we couldn't use the range and had to wait and hear if we were able to play golf that day. The course isn't used to getting as much rain as we got those days, but we got the OK. Took me a few holes to get comfortable and loose once we began, something to keep in mind if you need to get your body activated before play.

It'll vary year to year depending on how long you're at the clubhouse beforehand getting food and carts situated. According to the timestamps on some pics I took on our first day of golfing at The Hideaway:

8:00: Arrived at clubhouse
8-820: Breakfast
8:25: Clubhouse locker room (all pics PG rated!)
8:30: At range
9:30: Still at range but probably ended soon
9:45: At starting hole (17)

Day 2 for us there was a lot of rain the day/night before so we couldn't use the range and had to wait and hear if we were able to play golf that day. The course isn't used to getting as much rain as we got those days, but we got the OK. Took me a few holes to get comfortable and loose once we began, something to keep in mind if you need to get your body activated before play.
That is the info we needed!
Clayton’s itinerary 8am -930 Sliders
930-945 stuff sliders in the back pack.

We started a little late because of rain the first day, if I remember correctly.

Also, just grab sliders, put them in your pocket (they're foil wrapped :cool:), head immediately to pro shop. Do a little shopping and take goods back to locker room. Down sliders on the way out to the range, so that way you can take your time warming up. Don't spend 30 mins at breakfast, then rush through the other parts.

Last edited:
We started a little late because of rain the first day, if I remember correctly.

Also, just grab sliders, put them in your pocket (they're foil wrapped :cool:), head immediately to pro shop. Do a little shopping and take goods back to locker room. Down sliders on the way out to the range, so that way you can take your time warming up. Don't spend 30 mins at breakfast, then rush through the other parts.

This seems perfect to me! I think 1 or 2 things for breakfast is enough knowing we have fuel on the course the whole day. Head to the shop and get some Hideaway swag and then head to the range.

This seems perfect to me! I think 1 or 2 things for breakfast is enough knowing we have fuel on the course the whole day. Head to the shop and get some Hideaway swag and then head to the range.
I'll take your extras if you're only grabbing one or two things :p

Agreed. Just enough to calm the nerves, free up the body, and puts some bombs downrange with the new gear.

That’s about right. THPers are not known for setting course records for speed. I know @JasonFinleyCG usually needs to remind the group of pace each year.

We have never come close to playing a round that keeps up with the clubs normal pace of play. I have. always. tried to do my part by ending matches early!

We have never come close to playing a round that keeps up with the clubs normal pace of play. I have. always. tried to do my part by ending matches early!
Just out of curiosity, what sort of pace are they normally playing at?

and it wouldn’t be TheGrandaddy without a #DarthFinley post.

Agreed. Just enough to calm the nerves, free up the body, and puts some bombs downrange with the new gear.

The hotel you'll stay at has breakfast, so if you want to pre-eat, you could. :ROFLMAO:

The hotel you'll stay at has breakfast, so if you want to pre-eat, you could. :ROFLMAO:

Oh hell yeah. Is camping out in a tent on the range discouraged orrrrrrr...........

Hopefully since I put a little curse on @KEV while I was in MN this summer you guys won't have to deal with any rain issues this year. :D

The other thing is, should you be lucky enough to play @JasonFinleyCG the first day, you get to play with Al too, which is just AWESOME!!!!!! I was lucky enough to have Al as our host both days and the guy is a riot and just great to converse with and get the history of the Hideaway.

One hole faster than your quickest pace. :ROFLMAO:
How do you know what my fastest pace is? Did you forget I am in the UK and don't have anything like the pace of play issues you have over there at most courses

How long does it take to finish a round at #TheGrandaddy normally?

Is it actually possible to get a sensible answer in here :rolleyes:

For those lucky enough to be on the team, answering to say a round is usually completed in 2hrs 30mins for example might help some people realise they need to speed up a bit, whereas if you said a round takes 3hrs 30mins I would call that slow (and that is walking in a 4-ball for me)

Is it actually possible to get a sensible answer in here :rolleyes:

For those lucky enough to be on the team, answering to say a round is usually completed in 2hrs 30mins for example might help some people realise they need to speed up a bit, whereas if you said a round takes 3hrs 30mins I would call that slow (and that is walking in a 4-ball for me)
It was hard to say really Doc, we never really paid attention to the time and just let @JasonFinleyCG set it for us. I would say we where done with our first 9 in the rain in less than 2 hours.

I really can't remember how long our rounds took but I know on day 1 we were fighting the dark as we finished up. Not only are you battling an early sunset but The Hideaway and it's members are gracious enough to allow this event to happen so it's really important and overall courteous to play quick. Don't play so fast that you throw yourself off but be mindful of pace.

It was hard to say really Doc, we never really paid attention to the time and just let @JasonFinleyCG set it for us. I would say we where done with our first 9 in the rain in less than 2 hours.
If it takes nearly 2 hours to play 9 holes whilst riding, then I would call that slow compared to what I am used to walking over here - last week there were 4 of us (with 2 relative beginners) and we never took more than 4hrs 15mins to walk 18 in the wind and rain on the first couple of days, which included a toilet break and coffee at the halfway house for the ladies, so probably nearer 4 hrs

Mr. Finley enters the chat with a well timed burn! I cannot wait to see and experience this!!

I think what they're trying to say is that no matter how fast you think you play, you could probably play a little faster.

All these pictures this morning have fired me up. Questions for past participants:
Can you tell us about a hole which you struggled on and what you would do differently?

If it takes nearly 2 hours to play 9 holes whilst riding, then I would call that slow compared to what I am used to walking over here - last week there were 4 of us (with 2 relative beginners) and we never took more than 4hrs 15mins to walk 18 in the wind and rain on the first couple of days, which included a toilet break and coffee at the halfway house for the ladies, so probably nearer 4 hrs
I mean you also have to remember there will be a competition going for us. Not that I'm advocating for a slow pace, especially since the Morgan Cup participants just showed that you can keep pace in a competition. But we definitely won't be setting the course record for playing speed out there lol

Back